RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two days of my dog having diarrhea, and having to clean out the kennel a couple times, I decided to check with the vet. After a couple tests the vet tells me its being caused by excessive bacteria in his system. Gave me some meds, told me it would clear up in a couple days, and sent me on my way.

Has anybody ever experienced this sort of thing with their dog? Im not sure what would have caused it. Never saw him eat anything he shouldnt have...but he's a lab we all know they will eat mos anything!

As well im not too happy about having to clean his kennel, its not the dogs fault, and no he wasnt kenneled for much more than 3 hours - 4 tops! Its the bacteria! Could this lead to him relieving himself in his kennel? Basically undoing his house training? Almost 2 years old...

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
After two days of my dog having diarrhea, and having to clean out the kennel a couple times, I decided to check with the vet. After a couple tests the vet tells me its being caused by excessive bacteria in his system. Gave me some meds, told me it would clear up in a couple days, and sent me on my way.

Has anybody ever experienced this sort of thing with their dog? Im not sure what would have caused it. Never saw him eat anything he shouldnt have...but he's a lab we all know they will eat mos anything!

As well im not too happy about having to clean his kennel, its not the dogs fault, and no he wasnt kenneled for much more than 3 hours - 4 tops! Its the bacteria! Could this lead to him relieving himself in his kennel? Basically undoing his house training? Almost 2 years old...
I don't know anyone who is happy about cleaning kennels but I do it every day at least once. I thought that was part of it. Can't help but wonder where the bacteria might have come from.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
did they culture and tell you what kind of bacteria? Or are they referring to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), which is a chronic condition?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just said excessive bacteria. And gave me some probiotics to get the "good" bacteria going again.

Cleaning a kennel isnt bad...its cleaning the mess he left....

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'd want more information....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this happen to my pup when he was about 10 weeks old. From then until he was about 8 months old he would have a bout of it pretty bad every so often. I changed foods, gave meds, took food away, everything. Sent in a stool culture to the State lab and it came back positive for Salmonella. I still don't know how he got into it something from outside I'm sure, but he is an inside dog and would still defecate when I put him in his kennel when he was having his diarrhea bouts. He is about 2.5 years old now and I haven't had an issue since he was about 8 months old with it. Pretty worrisome at the time though. I guess it's like a human being. Some people have their intestines colonize faster with the "good" bacteria as part of the normal flora to keep the disease causing organisms out. I often wonder sometimes though if giving him antibiotics so young may have killed off some of those "good" bacteria though too, and made him more susceptible to infection from pathogens. It was kind of a catch-22 situation.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I often wonder sometimes though if giving him antibiotics so young may have killed off some of those "good" bacteria though too, and made him more susceptible to infection from pathogens
This is exactly what happens. I always follow all antibiotic therapy with probiotics. In fact, probiotics not only help to keep the bad bacteris in check, they enable the intestines to absorb more nutrients from the food so they are good all the time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This is exactly what happens. I always follow all antibiotic therapy with probiotics. In fact, probiotics not only help to keep the bad bacteris in check, they enable the intestines to absorb more nutrients from the food so they are good all the time.
I can attest to this after Nancy recommended using http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules1.html Probios Powder. I am now picking up less waste in the yard and my yellow lab's appetite has come back to normal and the black lab is eliminating less. I just sprinkle it on their food and they don't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Could this lead to him relieving himself in his kennel? Basically undoing his house training? Almost 2 years old...[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't undo his house training. Having the condition that causes diarrhea likely made it impossible to hold it and made it necessary to soil his kennel. When he no longer has diarrhea, he will most likely still be house trained.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts