RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long after eating a full ration of kibble, should a dog NOT be exercised at full speed for a long duration ?

EX: If I feed at 3 Pm would 6 Pm be too soon for a BIG Quad ?

john

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Feeding at 8PM is mo betta John.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Feeding at 8PM is mo betta John.
Native dog food guys stopped in here a month or so ago. They were very high on waiting 10-12 hours after feeding before strenuous exercise. Said that if you did much training before that, the food would just run through and you might as well not have fed. Didn't completely fall for it hook line and sinker, but I think they do have a fairly good point in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not sure but i just lost a dog to the bloat, had the surery done and lost him the next day, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long then, after this strenuous exercise, should one wait to feed.
I've heard anywhere from 1/2 to 2 hrs?

On these HOT days there is normally only a 2or3 hr window to train in the morning and about the same or a little less at night....... perhaps 2 PM for feeding ?

john

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
We feed twice a day and wait a minimum of 2 hours before any training or exercise. Also concerned about how soon to feed after exercise. Maybe I'll start feeding at midnight.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
John, if training late in the evening when it's hot simply delay your feeding until you get home and dogs have at least had a chance to cool down. Feeding at 9-10 PM is better than feeding at anytime during the day and then going out to train afterwards. If you feed in AM and intend to train in AM feed lite say 1 cup max and feed first thing before dogs air. Should be good to go by the time you drive and get setup and give dogs 2nd air.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
When I am hunting in the morning with dog, two hours...When I am training, feed after training.

My penny worth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When training regularly and during hunting season I feed once a day in the evening. When it's hot, definately let the dog cool down first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I refuse to feed before we are done for the day. And i understand the need for a cool down but how long would you wait, or i guess better question is how long is your cool down? 10 min, 2 hours?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hope this post isn't a hijack but I've got a 5 month old pup that's used to being fed early in the morning 8am, and then at 7pm, but on Sunday my group training day I feed him at 6am since we start training at 8ish and finish at noon. Any thoughts? I'm not sure how he'd react if he was not fed until noon. Usually he's like an alarm clock come feeding time; he gives you the "feed me" look when it's that time.

David

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I refuse to feed before we are done for the day. And i understand the need for a cool down but how long would you wait, or i guess better question is how long is your cool down? 10 min, 2 hours?
In warmer tempratures and heavy training, I let them tell me when they are cooled down, less panting, tongue has shrunk and they seem more relaxed. Generally it's about 2 1/2-3 hours after I've trained.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Hope this post isn't a hijack but I've got a 5 month old pup that's used to being fed early in the morning 8am, and then at 7pm, but on Sunday my group training day I feed him at 6am since we start training at 8ish and finish at noon. Any thoughts? I'm not sure how he'd react if he was not fed until noon. Usually he's like an alarm clock come feeding time; he gives you the "feed me" look when it's that time.

David
It shouldn't be a problem after training. They need X amount of nutrition per day, doesn't matter when they get it.
If I have upland trials to run mine get a handful when I get up and then the balance once I get home. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Attended a vet seminar at a dog training club. (field trial & hunt test type club)
Vet said food is out of stomach in 4 hours.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I feed 1 cup in the morning 5:eek:oAM. Dogs start to run about 8:30AM. Feed agin in the eavining around 6:00PM. To hot to train in the afternoon right now but usualy finish training around 4:00pm. So its about 3.5 hrs before training and atleast 2 hrs after. Has worked for mr for years.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Not sure but i just lost a dog to the bloat, had the surery done and lost him the next day, better safe than sorry.
That's awful! I'm so sorry for your loss :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts