RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until recently I have avoided the obvious. Training several times a week requires travel time and paying for gas. An hours
drive (or more) to and from different training areas regularly did not seem to be that big of a deal until the issue was recently
confronted. Credit card statements are relentless, regular reminders that are best dealt with by thinking about something else.
Then there are the weekend trips to hunt tests....and entry fees.....and of course Vet bills.

I am beginning to feel like I have some sort of a warped version of the "shop 'til ya drop" syndrome. Then along comes fall which
requires a different set of equipment that needs to be "refreshed" called hunting gear. It is better to call it "gear" because then it is
easier to justify. Winter then becomes an issue for some and is kind of a cold transition which is somewhat like going through
withdrawal. It can be brief or relentless depending on your latitude.

To pile it higher and deeper, credit cards are useful if you can avoid thinking about the interest ....and they all have great deals
designed especially for you. Don't ask me how I know all of this. :geek:

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Lots of used gear out their if you just look for it. Trainers, both Pro and Am will at times have extra gear. You also can improvise on some of the gear.

What you do get will last a lifetime and multiple dogs, consider it an investment. Also, what you get so you have extra, you can sell it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am new to this whole world of dog training and I agree, it's an expensive lifestyle. I have been fortunate enough to train with a lot of great amateur's that have equipment but I am now starting to pick up a lot more of my own. You also mentioned fuel, I'm fortunate enough to be 10-35 minutes away from my training grounds but running there 4-5 times a week adds up quickly. It's all worth it though in my eyes. It's been fun watching my dog learn and grow, I've also met a ton of new friends through dog training.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
After my brother shot his first duck over his first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He added up as best that he was able the price per pound of that duck, a blue wing teal. Starting from puppy purchase, as much training cost he could think of, gasoline, scouting time, blind building and even shotgun. Including the taxidermist after the hunt.

Folks, trust me. This is something you never want to do.

·
Registered
209 Posts
After my brother shot his first duck over his first Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He added up as best that he was able the price per pound of that duck, a blue wing teal. Starting from puppy purchase, as much training cost he could think of, gasoline, scouting time, blind building and even shotgun. Including the taxidermist after the hunt.

Folks, trust me. This is something you never want to do.
Neither do you want to hit that demonic button on Entry Express that shows you how much you have spent in entry fees over your lifetime.

Nope.....Nope....Nope

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I did not retire wealthy. I did manage a decent coffee can of ones though.
When I retired, I had to choose ONE of my many interests.
I moved closer to the area that provided the best quality of the interest I chose. This was before Gas went crazy.
I now have to limit my time spent enjoying my activity, but, I live really close to the most spectacular mountain range I have ever visited in my life.
The fishing is world class.
I limit my trips
The cost is insignificant compared to the enjoyment I receive.
Sadly, no dog GAMES, but I take my new pet with me..
SIMPLE LIFE!
I’m in heaven! Pinching myself everyday..
I don’t miss the rat- race and balancing a meager checking account to make bet on silly bills for things I thought I couldn’t live without.
Downsizing doesn’t have to be painful if you choose wisely.
Of course,,,, If you have a big wad of money you saved, and you are continuing a lavish life- style , but now are made aware how much stuff costs to participate… welll… ya can’t take it with ya!..
I Ya croak tomorrow ,after you spent money for a dozen new bumpers, and entered a 100.00 dollar hunt tests with two dogs in a future weekend….
What difference will it make.
Like the song says!
“ Live like you are dying”..
To the best of your abilities..

Good health to you and best wishes. Times are only as tough as you make them,

Last mouthful of my bean and tortilla dinner regards.

Gooser

Reactions: ohio mike

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I’m building my dream car! A 55 Chevy Bel-Air.
Alll plastic! 1/24 scale! Doors and hood open! Engine bay sports that orange 327. Transmission (4 spd) rebuilt by me…

:)
p.s. Still enjoy the sniff of model glue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts