RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are specialty retriever field trials that limit the trial entries to members of that breed, correct?

Which breeds do this: Goldens, Chesapeakes? Do Flat Coats do it too? Tollers? Do Labradors have a specialty field trial where they do it too?

How do the points work toward field trial titles? Does a win at one of these specialty trials count?

I am asking this for a couple of my friends in Europe--there are some "exotic" retriever breed tests there but are like working certificate tests here but competitive.

My memory might be failing me but I remember you can't earn an FC or AFC by just winning breed specialty field trials. Is that correct?

· Registered
65 Posts
They can qualify for nationals at these specialties I honestly don’t know if they can title with placements but it would be strange if they didn’t, but qualified for nationals. I was once told by a good friend who ran goldens the Labrador specialty is every weekends field trial.

· Registered
7,802 Posts
I will try to answer from memory.
How do the points work toward field trial titles?
Only five specialty points count toward a FC or AFC title.
A specialty win counts as 5 points but not as a win for a title but it does count as a win to qualify for the national AM or Open
Which breeds do this: Goldens, Chesapeakes? Do Flat Coats do it too? Tollers?
All of them if there are trials. I believe the rule on the minimum number of QAA dogs (10 or 12) entered for the points to be count applies. I think that eliminates points for Flats and Tollers and might make it a challenge for peakes most years.
Does a win at one of these specialty trials count?
As stated, the five points count toward a title but not the win. The win is recognized for national qualification.
My memory might be failing me but I remember you can't earn an FC or AFC by just winning breed specialty field trials. Is that correct?
Correct

JMO, I think it is "generous" to allow 5 specialty points toward a title and "excessively generous" to allow a specialty blue to count for national qualification.

Reactions: J. Marti

· Registered
70 Posts

· Registered
7,802 Posts
This is the rule I was referring to.

At each trial having an Open All-Age, Limited All-Age,
Special All-Age, an Amateur All-Age, an Owner-Handler
Amateur All-Age or Restricted All-Age Stakes the Field
Trial Secretary in his or her report must certify whether
at least twelve (12) of the starters in each of those stakes
were eligible to compete in a Limited All-Age, Special All-
Age or Restricted All-Age Stake.

A Limited All-Age Stake at a Retriever trial shall be
for dogs that have previously been placed or awarded
a Judges’ Award of Merit in an Open All-Age Stake,
Limited All-Age Stake, Special All-Age Stake, Restricted
All-Age Stake, Amateur All-Age Stake, or Owner-
Handler Amateur All-Age Stake carrying Championship
points in each case, or that have been placed first or
second in a Qualifying Stake or an Owner-Handler
Qualifying Stake.

A Special All-Age Stake at a Retriever trial shall
be for dogs that, during the period comprised of the
previous calendar year and the current calendar year
prior to the date of closing of entries for such trial,
have been placed or awarded a Judges’ Award of Merit
in an Open All-Age, Limited All-Age, Special All-Age,
Restricted All-Age, Amateur All-Age, or Owner-Handler
Amateur All-Age Stake carrying Championship points
in each case, or have been placed first or second in a
Qualifying Stake.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
JMO, I think it is "generous" to allow 5 specialty points toward a title and "excessively generous" to allow a specialty blue to count for national qualification.
Some may call it "generous" others "uniquely stingy".

The value of specialty points towards FCs and AFCs is quite different for retrievers than other breeds. While retriever specialty points( especially Open and Amat wins) are devalued other field breed's FT specialty points are elevated, A pointer or spaniel winning their annual specialty is awarded an FC or AFC and titled National Open (Amat)All-Age Champion 20__. actually making their Specialty points more valuable( or required) over all breed points.
The AKC promotes the sport of purebred dogs, designs competitions and awards titles to identify the best of each individual breed yet requires all-breed points for FT retrievers.

Tim

· Registered
7,802 Posts
The AKC promotes the sport of purebred dogs, designs competitions and awards titles to identify the best of each individual breed yet requires all-breed points for FT retrievers.
If there were enough dogs and people to have Irish Water Spaniel only weekend field trials and Open / Am championships I would be all for it. I might even volunteer to help at the IWSNARC.

· Registered
7,802 Posts
that’s the Catch 22
You also have to be realistic about the breeds. Even If there was a huge Irish Water Spaniel, Curly Coat or Toller following with lots of trials every weekend the FC's and AFC's would not be comparable to a title earned in an all breed trial.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts