RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

In a few weeks I was going to teach pattern blinds with diversions, but after watching Dannys DVD I was wondering if his diversion set up would get the same point across to the dog and the same end result? He runs diversion under the arc, in the line of the blind, to the left, and to right. With a mark between them. If anyone has seen his DVD, will his diversion set up and training get the same point across as to run pattern blinds with diversions? Which do you prefer?

Thanks Robert

·
Registered
545 Posts
fowl hunter said:
you have some good questions and you oughtto be caught up with Shayne as far as post numbers go by the end of the month :lol:
says the guy who answers every post :wink:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hadn't watched the DVD yet but I did go to his seminar once. If I understand your question correctly, it sounds like you would get the same result. If you already have a pattern field going, then just add marks to it as Danny describes.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
fowl hunter said:
you have some good questions and you ought to be caught up with Shayne as far as post numbers go by the end of the month :lol:
He is just a kid trying to get some help training his dog....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
huntingrdr said:
Hey guys,

In a few weeks I was going to teach pattern blinds with diversions, but after watching Dannys DVD I was wondering if his diversion set up would get the same point across to the dog and the same end result? He runs diversion under the arc, in the line of the blind, to the left, and to right. With a mark between them. If anyone has seen his DVD, will his diversion set up and training get the same point across as to run pattern blinds with diversions? Which do you prefer?

Thanks Robert
Can you make it to the "Retreat"???

Danny will be there and you can ask him your ownself.

Jerry

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Havent hear about the "retreat"

When is it and where?

Anyone else seen the DVD that can help me answer this question? I would be starting from scratch and do not have a pattern field...ran pattern blinds a few weeks ago, but I think my dog has for got those by now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great comments fowl hunter! :lol:

Like he said, I am just trying to get some answers on training my first hunting dog. :wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So anyone seen this dvd?

Are pattern blinds with diversions the same thing as Farmers diversion on his DVD? Does it get the same end result?

G

·
To try to answer your question, I want to ask you a question. In your mind, what is different about how you planned to do pattern blinds with diversions and how Danny does them on the DVD? I have seen it and I think what Danny does is fairly standard: 1) establish a blind, 2) throw diversions from 4 different scenarios(tight to the backside of the gun, tight to the mark, over the line of the mark, and through the arc). When teaching this, you let the dog pick up the mark first, then run the blind. You are not teaching about poison birds, just diversions. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, thanks. So running pattern blinds with diversions, would get the same point across as Dannys diversion in the DVD. Same end result? I am not too sure of the difference. In lardys book he runs 3 legs off a pattern blind and then adds in diversions. I only saw Danny had one leg out running the mark and blind. Same thing though I think, and same end result? How long do you normally run these blinds with diversions? A week or two till the dog is nailing it on the head?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
huntingrdr said:
So anyone seen this dvd?

Are pattern blinds with diversions the same thing as Farmers diversion on his DVD? Does it get the same end result?
I've only watch the DVD once. If you are running pattern blinds with diversions to teach your dog to handle like in the transition, I would guess that it is a little different. With those you can start with just having a stickman in the field and try running a pattern blind past it, then have a person stand out there, then have the person shoot, then have someone throw a bird and retrieve. That is how it is described in the Lardy Retriever Journal Articles. Maybe you have heard someone talking about that sort of thing, but havn't seen any reference to it in the material that you have.

I don't really remember too much about that part of the DVD, but the DVD is a problem solving DVD, it is not a transition DVD. I would go by something talking about transition if I were in transition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts