RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances of survival of escaped pen raised mallards, and what are the biological hazzards of an escape?

G

·
Depends on definition of "pen raised" -- flight pen or small pen? If they are fit and can fly well, they do fine. If they aren't flight conditioned, then they could fall prey.

Other than that, I don't think there's any reason they wouldn't make it...

-K

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just asking this next question because honestly I don't know. What do ducks eat in the wild? I was thinking they can filter something like plankton out of the water. Do they eat worms and bugs too. The ones I have kept just ate bird feed.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
It depends on whether Bubba Nugene, GSP terrorist and biter off of pen raised mallards heads, is lurking in the bushes when they escape.
$8.75 a pop regards,
Bubba Nugene's not so proud step mother

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
In your area, some would likely survive and contribute the problem of mallard/black duck hybridization. (Least that's why flighted mallard shooting operations aren't permitted below I-10 in Louisiana: fear that refugees will dilute mottled duck blood.)

Mallards eat most anything: plants, seeds, bugs, fish...

·
Registered
56 Posts
hazards, cross pollenation (sp?) with wild ducks and spreading disease/sickness...

released tamies are no good....

survival I guess depends on the area, if there's plenty of food I'd think they'd do just fine in the wild...hell the mallard release program idiots here don't mind it at all!

this probably wasn't what this thread was supposed to be about at all...back to lurking...everyone have a great weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
DL said:
I'm just asking this next question because honestly I don't know. What do ducks eat in the wild? I was thinking they can filter something like plankton out of the water. Do they eat worms and bugs too. The ones I have kept just ate bird feed.

There's this website...its called google? Wikipedia might also answer your querries. :D

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
In your area, some would likely survive and contribute the problem of mallard/black duck hybridization. (Least that's why flighted mallard shooting operations aren't permitted below I-10 in Louisiana: fear that refugees will dilute mottled duck blood.)
That's what is happening in Florida...escaped mallards have and are interbreeding with our Florida Mottled. The fear is that the Florida Mottled will be hybridized out of existence.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LabsNGoldens said:
DL said:

There's this website...its called google? Wikipedia might also answer your querries. :D
The answers I got here, are more trust worthy than what might come up with google. Heck, google would probally direct me to this website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
DL said:
LabsNGoldens said:
DL said:

The answers I got here, are more trust worthy than what might come up with google. Heck, google would probally direct me to this website.

You trust this rag tag bunch!? :D
Just bustin yer chops bro...slow day in the office and I'm chompin at the bit to get out of here so me and the dog can go gig a few flounder tonight...

hope the answers you got helped buddy.

have a great weekend all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2 opening mornings ago in east arkansas, we killed a greenhead with a south carolina waterfowl association band on it.... the feller that shot it was happy, as it was his first band. till this day he known as a tamie shooter, and has been flogged several times for it. So they can live, and even migrate goofy. travis

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Hew said:
That's what is happening in Florida...escaped mallards have and are interbreeding with our Florida Mottled. The fear is that the Florida Mottled will be hybridized out of existence.
There are two fully hybridized mottled/mallard duck in the pond outside of my office. Mottled body on one with a greenish, but not bright green head and a fully on black tail end complete with the curly little feathers on a mottled head and chest. You also see a lot of "in-betweens" that just have slight discolorations of feathers or bills.
It is getting much harder to legally import greenheads and I would bet it will soon stop altogether. The problem lies more with the people who bring them in as pets for the golf course and even more the game preserves that have tower shoots with them.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A Mallard Drake lives in the ponds across the road from me, apparently someone's pet because it will swim towards me.

I had a "spare" mallard hen so I donated her to him thinking I'm gonna get more mallards.

Was that a bad move on my part?

Jerry

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
To the drake it wasn't. :p

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Jerry, that was most kind of you to provide for that lonely drake. Im sure he is forever grateful.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I can't do that Rick. About all we have in my area are Mallards and Wood ducks.

Well, that doesn't take your favorite gumbo meat (COOTS) into consideration.

Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts