RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I believe he was a carrier. Other than that he was a hell of a dog, and a very good looker too. Just crossed the golden bridge in the past month or so

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quick

I had the pleasure of meeting quick a few times. What a nice looking, sweet dog. I never saw him run, but heard he was really easy to train and never had any real issues. He passed away about a month ago. He is a known CNM carrier. I don't think too much frozen semen was collected from him before he died.

Scott

·
Registered
987 Posts
Quick may have been a carrier but several of his offspring tested clear -- CFC CAFC Jaybar's Picture Perfect ("Click") was CNM clear -- I'm very happy with my BLM Quick grandson The Springwaters Quick To Maxx -- my Maxx has smarts, looks, and TONS of drive -- several second generation Quick offspring were on last year's Derby list (especially Gates X Crash that was recently repeated for a third time) -- Quick recently passed on but there was a Quick litter just being whelped about the same time -- Quick threw several FCs/AFCs including Click who went over the rainbow ridge just prior to his sire -- Quick bloodline to Lean Mac seems to be a nice combination (especially where both were grandsires) -- there was also recently a male pup for sale on RTF out of Lean Mac and CAFC Quick bitch -- seemed like a nice pup from description in ad

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
con

Lynn Yelton and Coach Jeff are very nice people. Do a search on Rebel Ridge Retrievers and their website should come up. Quick was a very handsome male that threw very nice puppies, extremely nice pedigree. He was a carrier, so you need to make sure that your female is not a carrier, if she is clear being a carrier does not affect performance.

Aaron

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
From speaking to the owners right after his passing, I believe they had minimal straws and were going to use them themselves

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking at a litter and he is the grandpa, and on the dams side NFC Storms Riptide Star is the grandpa, if both of these dogs are CNM carriers would that produce affected pups??

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Can't tell from that info. You need to know about parents not grandparents. Rascal & Quick were both carriers but that doewsn't mean their progeny all were. Depends on who they were bred to & luck of the draw

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are straws left from his full brother FC AFC Candlewoods Shadow. I just do not know who owns them. I know where they are at though. He was owned by the late Marvin Blount.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
AlexM said:
I am looking at a litter and he is the grandpa, and on the dams side NFC Storms Riptide Star is the grandpa, if both of these dogs are CNM carriers would that produce affected pups??
If the parents were tested then you would know.

Angie

·
Registered
55 Posts
C Fontenot said:
I did not know he was a carrier. He was one of the studs at the top of my list for breeding my Abe granddaughter to this fall.
Sorry I for one don't believe just because he is a carrier of CNM you should take him off your list as long as the bitch has tested clear. If everyone tests before breeding and doesn't breed two carriers we could go without ever seeing another CNM affected case again. I think there are enough other genetic problems that need to be avoided that are more important, now that there is a tool to identify this one.

But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Shawn Riggs said:
C Fontenot said:
I did not know he was a carrier. He was one of the studs at the top of my list for breeding my Abe granddaughter to this fall.
Sorry I for one don't believe just because he is a carrier of CNM you should take him off your list as long as the bitch has tested clear. If everyone tests before breeding and doesn't breed two carriers we could go without ever seeing another CNM affected case again. I think there are enough other genetic problems that need to be avoided that are more important, now that there is a tool to identify this one.

But that's just my opinion.
very well said!

·
Registered
987 Posts
And to repeat what I said in my post -- Quick's offspring were not necessarily carriers -- Click for one tested clear -- my Maxx is Quick's grandson and Maxx is clear as both his parents were clear -- so it depends on whether bitch was carrier or not -- and there is very reliable test for CNM

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
AlexM said:
If the sire of the litter is a carrier would that make all of his pups carriers??
No, statistically speaking, half would be carriers and half would be clear.

Go to this website, and click on the section titled "genetics"
http://www.labradorcnm.com/

Jeff

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
AlexM said:
If the sire of the litter is a carrier would that make all of his pups carriers??
No. Statistically only half would be carriers if I'm correct. In the case of the litter that my old FC came out of,,,, all the pups that were tested as adults were carriers. All were tested but 2. That was one of those flukes of nature.

Just ask the breeder if the litter is going to be tested. If not, then have your puppy tested when you get it. Either way is no big deal for your dog, but only a big deal if you plan on breeding him.

Lots of good material on the subject. Do your research to better understand it.

Angie

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
AlexM; You keep asking ?'s about the sire. In order to answer your question we would need to know the status of the dam of the litter also. Litters genetically are 50-50 from the sire & dam. Many myself included feel the dam is actually more important overall due to carrying, nursing whelping etc & the imprint that has on the litter

1 - 20 of 47 Posts