RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have a friend who has a Nitro pup, she is about 5 and i noticed she is very soft. She is really goodlooking and I think she is a good size for a female.

Does anybody know anything on his pups? Are they soft or hard headed? Are the all big, or does is matter on the female you breed to?

Thanks a ton

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a Nitro son and have trained with Nitro and lots of Nitro pups. Can't say as I've met a soft one. They can be sensitive, but I wouldn't say soft.

Kris

·
Registered
553 Posts
All his pups Ive been around have been soft with good desire and a weird reaction to pressure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here is another data point. Have a nitro pup who is definitely not soft. He responds quickly to corrections, comes back ready to try again, very smart, one of the few who I have seen that requires highest setting on collars otherwise just shrugs it off. Lots of drive, not afraid to hit cover, etc. Also took a higher than normal amount of FF pain. On his blinds he runs like a rocket, and you better be quick on the whistle or you lose him in the next county. Very hard runner.

I have not seen a lot of Nitro pups, but the ones I have seen are excellent. Patopea has a very nice 2yr old running right now. I would definitely have another.

Also see http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=410580&highlight=#410580

good discussions also.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We have two Nitro pups, well they are not pups any longer,3 year olds.
I have found them to be responsive to pressure but a lot is not needed to get what you need.

Soft isn't the word I would use but sensative is. They do come back willing to give it a harder try for sure.

As for size the male we have is about 70 lbs and the bitch is 62lbs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We have a 3 1/2 ylf out of Nitro. x Heartland's Pathfinder Radar. (Mickey)
She is sensitive but not at all soft. Hard driving but very biddable. Marking ability par excellent. Always ready to work! She is our first lab and I am training her pretty much on my own with help from a pro when I need advise. The pro did FF for us and it took 3 mos. but we did not rush to get her off the table. Did not run her in first test until she was 1 yr old. She now has her HR and SH. She is 65 pounds of pure muscle. I would love to have another just like her.

The bitch of course has alot to do with size and temperment. I have seen a few other TNT pups most are similar to ours.

Georgia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nitro pup

I have a Nitro Daughter. SHe is a SH and she is not soft. She is not Hard Headed either. I would say that she is somewhere in the middle. She responds to corrections without the maximum voltage, however. I have not had to BURN her ever.

She has an unstoppable DRIVE, is Smart, Runs hard on blinds, she marks well, and runs in straight lines.

She was easily FF.

She is the only one I have seen/had, but she is a great bird dog.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts