RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this dog? As far as what he produces? Can anyone who has seen him tell me what they think of him?

Alex

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Alex, I've never heard of anything bad about him, just good looks talent! Can't give much about him as a producer, but someone will I'm sure!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've seen quite a bit on Nitro when he was running. Saw him in training and at trials. He is by far one of the best marking dogs I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT of dogs. I've watched him time and time again step on mark after mark when the test was eating up the dogs. He is a joy to be around, a handsome dog with an incredible water entry. Nitro liked to get that long difficult bird early and often times did, whether Don or Tim wanted him to :lol: Lots of natural talent. I can't say enough about him.

I have a Nitro son and would take another in a heartbeat. Most all the Nitro pups I have seen can MARK! My dog also likes to get the long, difficult bird early and if you let him, he'll easily do your short retired last. Nitro pups have lots of natural talent and can be trained by both pro's and amateurs alike. My dog's best talent has to be his willingness to do whatever I ask of him and I've seen that in other Nitro dogs, both male and female. Nitro has dogs on the derby list and many on their way to their FC/AFC (some are already there). I can't really think of a Nitro dog that has been washed out actually, only one comes to mind actually and I'm not sure it wasn't handler related.

Completely under-rated and under-used as a stud dog.

I also have a Nitro grandson, just 12 months old but really coming on.

Kris
Blacktail Labradors

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've heard he does well when bred to Lean Mac bitches

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have heard great things from friends who have judged him.

Sadly, I think more people would have seen him and bred to him if he wasn't located in Wyoming.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a Nitro son. I don't test or trial (I hunt like crazy), but I ran him in a few hunt tests as part of my purchase agreement. My dog, Gus, has more speed and athleticism than almost any of the dogs I saw at the tests. Some people in the know would call my dog a "fire-breather", but I love his personality. He's quiet and calm both in the kennel and the house. He is the best babysitter I could ask for to take care of my kids. The hunt test crowd doesn't fully appreciate Gus' "enthusiasm" at the line, but I'm sure that's my fault as an inexperienced trainer. I've read descriptions of a dog, Cosmo, that sounds a lot like Gus. He's the cheatingest, markingest, I'll-do-anything-to-get-that-bird dog I've ever seen. He's really too much dog for an amateur trainer to be successful in trials/tests with, but when it's below freezing, the wind is blowing, and I've winged a bird that drops halfway across a hellish slough, there's nobody I'd rather have by my side.
In short, my Nitro son is both exasperating and magnificent...sometimes at the same time.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Pic of my Nitro son, Buddy

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Nitro Son and he is also excellent marker, and is coming along nicely with his all age training. Ours has 34 pts as Derby dog, and also completed 4 Qual's before 22months. Very calm disposition at trials, until you take him out of the last holding blind and then he is all business. Also excellent hunter, shot ducks over him and he has excellent blind manners (although you had better not leave your sandwich within reach, he loves to eat).

Most FT pups I have seen in NW from him have been good also. Nitro has Good hips, elbows/eyes normal; and is CNM Clear. Our pup was also CNM clear, had excellent hips, normal elbows/eyes. Thyroid also normal.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have my fingers crossed that I will be getting a pup out of a Ritz daughter bred to Nitro later this summer. Pretty excited!

·
Registered
167 Posts
ducksoup said:
I've heard he does well when bred to Lean Mac bitches
30 breedings listed in Good Dog and 3 of them were to Maxx's bitches. 10 progeny on the derby list since 2001 and 1 of them was from a Maxx bitch.
Lyle

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Look at Nitro's bitch line. Moor River Cash Cates Choice, his mother, was an outstanding bitch that threw great pups out of several different sires.

She is the grandmother to NFC Dewey, and has Hall of Fame bitch's all over her pedigree.

She's the grandmother to our foundation bitch Dottie who threw my Archie and AFC Gracie in two breedings. In this case she was bred to FC/AFC Cedar Valley's Hi Bird Turk.

Nitro's pups have found the Derby list more and more, in limited FT breedings.

I only saw Nitro run once here in Oklahoma. He dug out a tough in line triple with ease and was a nice, steady blind runner.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We have two Nitro pups (3 year olds) Meg pictured here in the 2006 Fall Grand ran 5 days and didn't handle on a mark.

Her brother Roc just came to us about a month ago. I feel he and Meg were most certainly cut from the same cookie cutter. With the deep snow I have not really been able to put him threw his paces but I like what I see so far. David you did a great job with him!!!

I would take on another Nitro dog in a minute.

Margo

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Nitro son is just coming back after a potentially career ending injury -- torn achilles tendon. Owing to his tremendous heart and desire to work (and many days in rehab -- underwater treadmill), I hope to run him again the Open and Am this year.

Physically, he is tall (25 inches), long legs, long ears, and slight of build -- 62-63 lbs.

As a young dog, he was a real mess, too much go and too crazy and very vocal on the line. His nervous energy got in the way and he had a very limited ability to focus. He loves to run and has an extremely fast hunt pattern. I wouldn't say he is an exceptional marker, but he is does okay.

He runs very hard on blinds and will chirp, squeal, or give you a slight bark off the line for either a land or water blind. He is a pain in the neck around the water and his desire to get the birds and his general non-compliance makes his water honesty less than stellar, actually it is downright horrible.

My wife runs him in obedience and she hopes to make him her 5th OTCH dog, but he is not very compliant for her either. He has to be corrected quite hard to get things through him.

He loves to go, so I generally don't worry about long birds, short birds, or any bird for that matter, but if he can stay focused on his task at hand and not get overwhelmed by his desire to go, then he usually does okay.

I hated him as a young dog with all of his problems, but I love him dearly as an adult dog. He is very fun to train and thinks all field training is just plain super. Doing drills, blinds, marks, you name it, is just fun, fun fun for him. Bumpers or birds make no difference to him. He will get anything and everything you throw for him.

John

·
Registered
160 Posts
He see he had two different pups place this last weekend. One second in the am. and one 2nd in the qual!

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a 19 month old Nitro male out of a MH/QAA bitch and have been very happy with him so far. His marking is quite good and the drive excellent. He is a hot dog and fun to handle. Runs blinds like marks and loves the water. His honesty around water can be an issue because of the drive and need to get the birds NOW!
In my opinion he is physically what a lab should be 75-80 pounds with proportionate head and bone structure. Most importantly, he demonstrates the ability to lay next to our 2 month old son, go on walks with mom, and be fire breather at the line or in a hunting situation.
The other 3 Nitro pups I train with are all the same way. Solid working dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know anything about this dog? As far as what he produces? Can anyone who has seen him tell me what they think of him?

Alex
Excellent marker, one of the best. I have had three of his daughters and the were amazing - bred two of them each to Grady producing exceptional pups.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Father of FC AFC CNAFC CFC CAFC HAM

Ronan Bill
To old to die young

1 - 20 of 23 Posts