RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These dogs are my chocolate girls grand sires. I am looking for information about them. Temperament, achievements, etc. If any of you know anything about them or know where to find it, I'd be greatful. Thanks.

Reactions: puptowncharlotte

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Grandsires are only 12 1/2% of a pedigree. That leaves 87 1/2% of influence from the other dogs in the pedigree unless the grandparent was extremely prepotent which few are. Look to the parents first.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grandsires are only 12 1/2% of a pedigree. That leaves 87 1/2% of influence from the other dogs in the pedigree unless the grandparent was extremely prepotent which few are. Look to the parents first.
Neither of the parents were titled. They had great pedigrees, but they hadn't been proven themselves. I didn't know better when I bought her as a puppy. Thats why I am looking at the grandparents to find out more info about her lines.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
WRL (Lee) used Cooper as a stud...you might ask her

I think Rocky was owned by Terri Veach, who has passed. I'm sure others will chime in. Many folks knew Terri.
She was an awesome lady.....could keep ya on the phone for a long time :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
These dogs are my chocolate girls grand sires. I am looking for information about them. Temperament, achievements, etc. If any of you know anything about them or know where to find it, I'd be greatful. Thanks.

Christa,

I have Rocky in my dog's pedigree as well. Here is what I know about Rocky. Hope this helps you.

Reg Name: FC AFC River Oaks Way-Da-Go Rocky
Reg #: SF244412 03-90
Birth Date: 10/16/1986
Sex: Male
Colors/Markings: Black
OFA: LR-29519
Breeder(s): James R Somerville

I can't really tell you more or tell where to start looking. I can say this. If you research back on some of the bad boys of the chocolate lab pedigree alot of their pedigrees have Rocky's blood line at some level. He spit some damn good pups that carried on his bloodline from the research I've done in the past. One of the more noteables is Candlewood's Cash on The Line "Cash".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
We were good friends with Terri and still are with Joe Pilar, so we know about Rocky fairly well.

He is highly prized for his chocolate gene. It is "clean" and VERY dark. He was a sweet dog, moderate size, but could throw big dogs if bred to certain bitches.

He was a finalist at a National Open handled by Pat Burns.

His sire was Canis Major River Bear, owned by wildlife artist Phillip Crowe, who painted my avatar.

NOW, here is some VERY LITTLE KNOWN trivia! Rocky was originally bought by Cai Trzepacz for her husband John who owned the great Corky. Cai was looking for a pick puppy out of the breeding closest in pedigree back to Corky. But as the story goes, John got sick and could not train anymore, so they sold the puppy to their good friend Terri.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Here is a collage of Rocky pictures from advertisements --

Here is another pic of Rocky --

Here is a painting my wife did of Rocky. Terri who was bedridden, kept it in her bedroom with her until the day she died. --

• Love

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I met Rocky once when visiting Terri. He first came out and circled my truck to check for a bitch in heat. Once he knew there wasn't any "work" to do he came over and said hello. He was a very sweet, big dog. He sure had a special place in Terri's heart.

Tom

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Nice post Kevin. I for one can tell you I miss the Phone calls I had with Terri talking about Rocky.
Yeah, Terri spoke often about her calls with you, AS A MATTER OF FACT she said I should be more like you -- open to everything she could teach me about FTs! :lol:

In all honesty, I WAS open to anything she could teach me! I can only guess there is a big difference in our styles of conversing with her. ;-)

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Kevin, thanks for sharing the personal stories and the very fine painting

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Cooper was a nice dog. Very tractable and very talented.

He was owned originally by Mark Clark. Then later Mark and Jim Heneghan co-owned him.

He was a smaller dog. Reminded me of Cuda. Howard N. might have stories of watching him run when he was younger. Mark was from AK.

I bred to him twice. Got one litter out of a Cuda female. Those pups mostly went to hunting/hunt test homes. Everyone raved about the breeding and wanted a repeat.

Had a Rocky bitch. She wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but loved to retrieve and tried hard. Beautiful dog. Loved the work ethic of her pups. She never really reproduced her body type.

WRL

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Sorry, I don't know much about him. He was chocolate and smallish. Mark was training with Roy McFall and had Cooper in the derby when he left up here and moved to the Seattle area. I never saw Cooper as an adult mature dog.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Without being a breeding know it all snob, I can tell you that Rocky threw good looking and very tractable pups with the right bitch. A great friend of mine bred a very nice Barracuda Blue daughter to Rocky. Research was done on the potential breeding and he chose Rocky. He did the breeding simply to keep a female pup.
He did his homework and understood that the bitch brings a lot to a breeding. His female was well bred by Mary Howley at Candlewood Retrievers.
The irony was that his pup had her daddy’s looks and personality. She was incredibly talented with good looks, athletic, and could flat arse mark!!!
I also saw that one of her littermates had produced some really nice pups.
My buddy just wanted a pup out of his bitch to train and to do a little hunting.
Since retirement he has trained several very well bred bitches (just for fun and does a dayum good job of it).
In my opinion his Rocky daughter is at the top of his list…CRAZY NICE!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts