RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this must have been asked before but I have recently been told I should feed my dog once a day after training or trialing.
I currently feed twice a day,about 2 hours before any work and then again in the evening.
This is a mature labrador retreiver.
My concern with one feeding a day is bloating.
I am wondering what everyone else is doing?

Thanks dave

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Twice a day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I try to keep food in my boy's dish 24/7 and I can still see 3-4 ribs. He's a self-regulator I guess.
The problem with this comes up when around other chowhounds are around that eat everything in sight instantly...I have to keep my pup's food up so they don't vacuum it up, but what you gonna do...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Once a day here. Just kept on doing what the pro did while he was there.

It basically eliminates one (or two) 2-hour period during the day when we can't train.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There's always food in his bowl so he can eat as he pleases. For the most part he eats sometime from when I fall asleep for the night and when I wake up. He might eat a little bit during the day but it's always empty when i wake up in the morning!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Have fed all my dogs once per day. Never had a problem.

BHB

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
2ice a day. Partly because they get to come in the house then.

If I'm pheasant hunting the dog that starts doesn't get food in the morning.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If I am pheasant hunting or grouse huntin' in the mountains, then I will bring gernola(sp) bars with me for dog. If it is going to be a cold morning in the blind, then I will feed oats and honey in the morning. One cup of Quaker oats with two tablespoons of honey one hour before shootin' time.
My penny worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts