RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am FF a young dog right now and have run into a situation that I have never seen before. We are at the point of starting to apply pressure but the more pressure I apply the tighter she grits her teeth. I have her on a FF table and yes I have have tried little to no pressure, but as soon as she she's the object, it's lock jaw. I apply pressure and it gets worse. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As you continue pressure on the ear, adjust the bumper you are holding in your hand so you can reach in with your thumb into her mouth and pry it open. At the first moment it is possible to get it in there, put it in and praise the dickens out of her. Repeat as many times as necessary. When you start highlighting holding the bumper in her mouth, she will soon start looking for it and will begin opening her mouth for it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Take a break. Then try teaching a hold command all over again without the pressure. You might even want to try "capturing the behavior". Warning---this is probably not what your program suggests. I strongly recommend following your program but if you are having a problem it's time to try something else, at least for this particular behavior.

Second warning---my suggestion is probably not acceptable by a lot of retriever trainers.

FWIW, I had exactly the same problem with my golden in my avatar, I mean exactly the same problem. After four days of frustration, I solved it in under five minutes.

Good luck and take the time to FF properly.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I should add that after you get a hold behavior you can resume your force fetching. You dog will now know what hold means and you can introduce your pressure. Bottom line is that I think that your dog is confused.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Have you tried a toe-hitch? I had a dog that would clam up with an ear pinch. I used a toe-hitch for a couple of sessions and the ear pinch worked fine after that. Working on a table makes the toe-hitch easy to use.

Tom

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
As you continue pressure on the ear, adjust the bumper you are holding in your hand so you can reach in with your thumb into her mouth and pry it open. At the first moment it is possible to get it in there, put it in and praise the dickens out of her. Repeat as many times as necessary. When you start highlighting holding the bumper in her mouth, she will soon start looking for it and will begin opening her mouth for it.
You have a commonish problem. You can try working on the hold some more and it could help, but most likely you'll have the same problem when you go back to adding pressure. Dogtrainer4God does about what I do. You have to get that bumper, I use a wooden buck, into their mouth. It's not usually as clean and easy as Abby says in the above.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
One other thing that may help (and I see this happen a lot): When you pinch, it's likely you're starting slow and building up the intensity of the pinch, and the dog can handle it because you're letting her get used to it. Pinch your own arm and slowly increase the pressure....then let go and try again *starting* with the max pressure you got to. That will help you learn what your dog is feeling and use the correct amount of pressure to elicit a response.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It's not usually as clean and easy as Abby says in the above.
Take it for what it is! :) I FF a lot of dogs. Do this all the time. Maybe it seems easy because its what I do every day. You may have to work a bit to get it in there (read "at the first moment it is possible), but it will come. Do what you need to do.

Take care Howard, good to see you posting again! Hope the dogs are well:cool:

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Everyone does it a little bit different. I find it more easy to hold the bumper between my thumb and first finger and pry mouth open with the next three fingers. But same technique as mentioned above. This is not unusual.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Everyone does it a little bit different. I find it more easy to hold the bumper between my thumb and first finger and pry mouth open with the next three fingers. But same technique as mentioned above. This is not unusual.

I find that method easy once you master the art of holding that bumper with just your pinchin fingers. It can be tricky at times, but that method is what I use.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Teach her how to turn off the negative reinforcement. If by having someone else open her mouth, so be it.

You could try pushing her head down? Pulling ears and toes are not the only part of the body which "pressure" can be applied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts