RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously... 3 y/o CLM, minimal OB work, high drive, tons of retrieving desire, hasn't been out much so marks are maybe 30-40 yards. Soft dog but a little ADD. I've had him here about 2 weeks. Took awhile to figure out "hold" but the "fetch" part of FF is just too easy. I'm sure the dog has not been FF'd before, but when I hold that dowel out he's pulling my arm off to get to it, with or without pressure (ear pinch), and wagging his tail the whole time. Maybe a week on "fetch" and we're almost fetching off the ground, never had any locking up or hesitation. This is just too easy. I've FF'd 5 or 6 dogs in the past, Labs and one Australian Shepherd, never had one behave like this. I just don't feel like FF is going to be *solid* at this rate - I don't think he'll understand the "not-an-option" part - anyone have any tactics they'd employ at this point? what do you do with a dog this easy?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Good luck. I had one that went that way too and she outsmarted me. She was fine for JH type work but I wish in retrospect I'd have put more pressure on her as she never learned to deal w/ it. Hit ~3 yo and started folding big time on me in the obed ring. Not in training, mind you.... she was beautiful there. She's in a great pet home now where all she enjoys getting the newspaper in the morning, walking the kids to school, etc..

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
If going well, why isn't he already fetching from ground? I'll bet if you move forward with fetching from ground, walking fetch, and stick fetch you'll get refusals and will ear pinch will be necessary.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I had one sorta like that. She would constantly beat me to the retrieve before I had, "Fetch," out of my mouth. I found she didn't like tin cans in her mouth so I ff'd her on unopened cans of alpo with the labels torn off.

BTW, she went on to become a wonderful dog with more than 150 all age points finished both nat'ls.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Try forcing to other items. In the past, I've used metal hammers, buckets, tv remotes, jugs of water. Usually the extra weight of the object causes a mistake and the opportunity to use the correction.

Laurie McCain

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Seriously... 3 y/o CLM, minimal OB work
That's the first red flag. Formalize all fundamental obedience commands FIRST. Then force fetch.
high drive, tons of retrieving desire, hasn't been out much so marks are maybe 30-40 yards. Soft dog but a little ADD. I've had him here about 2 weeks. Took awhile to figure out "hold" but the "fetch" part of FF is just too easy. I'm sure the dog has not been FF'd before, but when I hold that dowel out he's pulling my arm off to get to it, with or without pressure (ear pinch), and wagging his tail the whole time. Maybe a week on "fetch" and we're almost fetching off the ground, never had any locking up or hesitation. This is just too easy.
Sounds willing and smart. Smart enough to figure out how to beat the stimulus. But force fetch is a pressure conditioning process. I doesn't sound like this dog is getting that benefit so far.
I've FF'd 5 or 6 dogs in the past, Labs and one Australian Shepherd, never had one behave like this. I just don't feel like FF is going to be *solid* at this rate - I don't think he'll understand the "not-an-option" part - anyone have any tactics they'd employ at this point?
Yes. Finish the process, and don't be misled. That doesn't mean that you should overwhelm the dog with pressure. But one of the ways many good trainers proof their work, on FF as well as other skill sets, is to use restraint. This dog must do more than be eager to fetch. He must become eager to turn off pressure, or all he's doing is beating the drill.
what do you do with a dog this easy?
Finish the job. He's not easy, so much as he is smart. Don't let that hold you back.

EvanG

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
That's the first red flag. Formalize all fundamental obedience commands FIRST. Then force fetch.Sounds willing and smart. Smart enough to figure out how to beat the stimulus. But force fetch is a pressure conditioning process. I doesn't sound like this dog is getting that benefit so far.Yes. Finish the process, and don't be misled. That doesn't mean that you should overwhelm the dog with pressure. But one of the ways many good trainers proof their work, on FF as well as other skill sets, is to use restraint. This dog must do more than be eager to fetch. He must become eager to turn off pressure, or all he's doing is beating the drill.Finish the job. He's not easy, so much as he is smart. Don't let that hold you back.

EvanG
Evan has given you a lot of good advice....One thing I do is let the dog get distracted and turn its head before giving the command...If the dog is always looking at the bumper they will auto respond....Be sure you proof the process with other objects and pile work ( IE stick fetch) to be sure the dog has had enough reps to properly understand the command and how to work when the pressure is applied....Steve S

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As Evan said...I will use the collar as a restraint to see if fido really understands what I want from him.
My penny worth.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of using different objects (since he obviously likes the dowel!). He does know heel/sit/come - it's just really minimal obedience knowledge in comparison to my competition obedience dog. I'll see where we're at today, if I still am not getting responses more in line with a dog learning FF I suppose I'll be back. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts