RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young pup 6.5 months. She is coming along nicely with OB marks. Hold was an issue but we are working on that and showing improvement. I think she is still teething-- lots of chewing and redness in the gums. I was going to start FF today but held off. Lardy teaches FF then collar conditioning

What about beginning collar conditioning only with SIT then remote SIT for now continue hold and wait another 2-3 weeks to start FF to ensure the teeth are not an issue. I just do not want to wait around while teeth seems reasonable to start collar conditioning as long as it is basic

Am I missing something??

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
It depends on the method of training you're following. Some are set up differently on this accord, and even the subject of CC is approached differently from one to the next. Is there a certain program you're following?

Evan

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Don't be in such a hurry. Get the teething issue behind you. Forcing issues while the dog hurts to hold something may cause problems down the road. Then stick with the program you are following. I assume TRT since you mentioned Lardy?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
As mentioned some training programs are different.
I would look a little deeper into your training material and determine whether or not you'll Collar Fetch after beginning Force, and whether or not you'll have to stop right in the middle of things to CC'.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There is a reason for doing FF before collar conditioning. The proccess of FF developes a truely conditioned (automatic) response to a command and sets the ground work that allows the dog to better accept and react to collar pressure. The dog also learns that the pressure is coming directly from the trainer, no ifs ands or buts about it. This takes away the confusion that can occur when e-stimulation 1st occurs.

There is also the trainer/dog relationship outcome that occurs as the proccess completed.

Bert

·
Registered
449 Posts
There is a reason for doing FF before collar conditioning. The proccess of FF developes a truely conditioned (automatic) response to a command and sets the ground work that allows the dog to better accept and react to collar pressure. The dog also learns that the pressure is coming directly from the trainer, no ifs ands or buts about it. This takes away the confusion that can occur when e-stimulation 1st occurs.

There is also the trainer/dog relationship outcome that occurs as the proccess completed.

Bert
Nice job Bert

·
Registered
24 Posts
U nderstand this reasoning, but on the other hand it sure helps if the dog already has a thorough basis at least on the "Sit" command when starting formalizing the "Hold" and "Fetch" command.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
U nderstand this reasoning, but on the other hand it sure helps if the dog already has a thorough basis at least on the "Sit" command when starting formalizing the "Hold" and "Fetch" command.
Yes, and that can (and should) be done with a heeling stick. The flow of my program also CC's only to the command "Here" prior to FF, but it's a different task flow than some others. If this trainer is following TRT they should stick with it. Mike has sound rationale for how his program progresses.

Evan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts