RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Field Trialers,

With the really long distances you folks deal with, what do you do in the really hot times in summer. Do you only do one or two, marks or blinds. Or do you shorten up? Just curious. I know that even the water gets really soupy in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, as well as many other places. Those are just areas I have done some summer training in.

I have found some places with spring fed creeks and ponds that stay much cooler, but they are few and far between.

Curious regards

tt

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
We're in that phase here in GA. First thing I did was send a dog north for the summer. With the other dogs, I try to begin early (7AM) which is difficult for me. I do water work first most days keeping the swims relatively short in warm water, then land work with my other 3-4 dogs (one older dog only works every other day), trying to be finished by 10-11AM. So the workday is only about 2/3 of a spring/fall/winter day.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
They really can't... You can't progress a dog or challenge a dog because of the heat. Sooo you either send your dogs north or they hang out in the AC until cooler weather.

Compare it to dogs that reside in the north. How much work do they get done when it's 20 degrees below zero and there's a sheet of ice on top of the snow???

Just common sense....

Aren't you a pro??? What are you doing?

Angie

·
Registered
908 Posts
We train year around down here. It is hard on the dogs. You have to train smart. We try to start at day light and kind of know what we want to train on.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sent my young dog north for FT training. Lucky just to maintain once it really heats up. Even to hot for shorter distances if dog gets in a big hunt or battle on a blind you are done

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angie,

I would hesitate to refer to me as a pro, at least in the common sense of the term. I have always only trained for pay as a very small side income. I only train hunting dogs, and have only taken on one or two dogs at a time. Frankly, a lot of my clients didn't think about getting their duck getter tuned up until the fall anyway.

As for what I do in the heat; I do what most do. I train early or late and keep it short. But I don't train anything to Field Trial distances, so I was curious how the heat affected the FTers.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Angie B said:
Compare it to dogs that reside in the north. How much work do they get done when it's 20 degrees below zero and there's a sheet of ice on top of the snow???

Just common sense....

Angie
I was running blinds in temps down to -10 last winter. :D

Ask anyone who was in SD last summer. It gets pretty hot up here too. We were in the triple digits for what seemed like forever last summer.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

I was training at Caddo Lake a couple of years ago in the summer. I had to keep things really short. We always worked from shade. The water was like soup. Really we didn't get much done. I decided to work on line manners from a realistic setup.

tt

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buzz,

It looks like you guys are getting some rain up there.

FTers,

So what percentage of you folks travel north for the summer?

tt

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
MRGD said:
Buzz,

It looks like you guys are getting some rain up there.

tt
There was lightening in the western sky on my way home from training a little while ago. No rain here yet. I'm about 15 miles from the Minnesota border...

I sent one of my dogs south to Texas last winter...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I leave for the Co. mtns every year right after the 4th of july. Until then when it gets hot and muggy I train early in morn. Today it was very muggy and I am already starting to look westward. :wink:

LT

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lonny,

Thanks for the response. I enjoyed meeting you at the Ozarks AKC hunt test. You run some nice dogs.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I do tune up drills in the summer. About six swims is all I can get in the heat.

I'm fortunate to have a very shallow, very large pond that I can send dogs on big water marks. They lunge in the water which cools them off once they hit the land. Combined with always present winds there (no trees whatsover) I can train until noon to one and still get good work.

I run the dogs each morning and evenng with a four wheeler to keep them in shape and wait until the fall.

·
Registered
844 Posts
We are on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and it does get hot. We still run FT marks and train from 7 AM until 4 ish six days a week.

We are mostly in the water, but can run an occaaional land setup first thing in the AM every now and then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts