RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cast do you give? Here's some background: it took a couple of casts to get to this spot, and the dog was stopped despite exiting the water on the correct line.

Also, would you position yourself online differently, i.e., move to the left or right? Vocal, non-vocal, etc.? What if you knew the dog had a tendency to skirt the water at a distance? How would you handle that?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,874 Posts
Charles C. said:
What cast do you give?
you could give

a. an "amateur back" :wink:

b. a silent over, your right, dog's left

c. a verbal straight right back.......similar to an "amateur back"

d. a verbal over, your right, dog's left

e. none of the above

Choose the correct answer and you could be back for the next series
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
Need to know
- Distances
- Visibility
- Wind
- Age of dog
- How other dogs are doing
- Overall water attitude to this point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ted Shih said:
Need to know
- Distances
- Visibility
- Wind
- Age of dog
- How other dogs are doing
- Overall water attitude to this point
- Long point is probably 180 yards+

- Visibility is fine.

- 26 months

- 15-20 mph into the shoreline

- most dogs get off the point ok, but in easier, warmer conditions the day before

- takes the previous casts fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,442 Posts
It depends.

For me a couple things come into play. First was the dog "watery" either getting in on the inital entry and how "watery" they were past the first point.

Also if the wind is pushing the dogs into the land - which my guess it was ;)

Also how are the other dogs doing?

Also how well my dog was doing with concept of getting off a point.

More than likely I would go with a silent over toward the water with a step into the cast. I'd also be keeping to the right side of my cooridor, just in case I needed an extra whistle because the dog did not take enough cast the first time off the point. But that's me. That would be my game plan walking to the line, but I've learned all great plans always seem to go down the drain in a single whistle or read from the dog.

FOM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
I would give slow silent over and be ready to double tap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,442 Posts
Don't forget the haybale that pushed dogs left of the line and the point going into the water....I think those two obstacles came into play....

Also sending you a PM, meant to talk to you at the trial, but you ran off...

FOM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,874 Posts
is your goal

a. to be a hero thinking you're leading the pack

b. do a nice workman like blind and stay in the game

c. screw up the blind so you'll get tossed and you can drink a beer since you handled in the first series and had an average land blind

d. show you friends the cool delayed back cast you learned about last week

e. none of the above
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,442 Posts
Ted Shih said:
I would give slow silent over and be ready to double tap
I still remember my lesson from the first seminar on Sunday when I gave a verbal right hand back off a point and a certain black dog went and had a grand time out of sight and out of control.....

FOM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EdA said:
is your goal

a. to be a hero thinking you're leading the pack

b. do a nice workman like blind and stay in the game

c. screw up the blind so you'll get tossed and you can drink a beer since you handled in the first series and had an average land blind

d. show you friends the cool delayed back cast you learned about last week

e. none of the above
Choice "B"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
As the Beatles once said

GET BACK
GET BACK
GET BACK ... to RUN SOME MORE


With an

OVER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
All things considered, I think a walking silent angle back would be the ticket but if my background was less than ideal, I might include a "permission" verbal back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,411 Posts
I think a verbal over casting to my right, dogs left, into the wind and thus driving the dog to actually get into the water a little right of the line so when/if he caves with the wind he is on line. It looks like the dog will be out of the handlers sight when he hits the water for at least a few yards and I would rather he hit the water to my right than cave with the wind and end up farther to the left in that cove where another handle may be difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,874 Posts
Charles C. said:
Choice "B"
correctamundo, just keep playing, field trials are rarely won on the water blind, but they surely can be lost

so if your answer to question #2 is "B", then your answer to question #1 should also be "B" unless you have a great dog and you have the utmost confidence that your dog will take a perfect straight silent right back (not at 26 months though), and as Ted said be prepared to blow a second or third whistle the instant the dog makes any movement to the left
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
"Over" to the next series or "back" to the truck.

Back or angle back in training but at a trial a "come in " whistle might as well be a swim back to the line.

Harold Bruninga told me something like this. You survive the water blind and win with the water marks. His quote was much more clever than that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EdA said:
Charles C. said:
Choice "B"
correctamundo, just keep playing, field trials are rarely won on the water blind, but they surely can be lost

so if your answer to question #2 is "B", then your answer to question #1 should also be "B" unless you have a great dog and you have the utmost confidence that your dog will take a perfect straight silent right back (not at 26 months though), and as Ted said be prepared to blow a second or third whistle the instant the dog makes any movement to the left
That's what I would have guessed. I think the most important thing for me to remember is to be ready to blow the whistle INSTANTLY if the dog doesn't take the correct cast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
I would not go verbal with my first cast, but that's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
a.don't stop a dog thats taking the correct line. :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,434 Posts
One caveat

If I am bleeding going into the water blind
And if the dogs are all getting on and off with ease

I might decide to let the dog rip on and off the point, knowing I had a lot of ground to make up.

But, other than that

OVER
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top