RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trials yesterday, today & tomorrow. Since the beginning of trials in 1931 "change"
has been the "order of the day". Clubs have come and gone; participants and their
presence reflect a "revolving door", "an ordinary day's shoot" has been castigated
and relagated to a contest of "excessive ingenuity."

The 'flip side': clubs that are well managed, clubs that invest wisely and prudently
in land and develop permanent assets, that are suppoprted by dedicated enthusiastic
individuals will continue into perpetuity and will remain the core foundation of the
game.

The spirit, dedication and legacy of such gatekeepers as Mr. Daniel Pomeroy, J. Gould
Remick, Bun Genty, T.W. Merritt, James Lamb Free, John M. Olin, Dr. George Gardner,
John Frazier, Byron Grunewald, A. A. Jones, August Belmont, W.W. Holes to name
just a few, unfortumately unknown to most of today's field trialers, will provoke the
continued existence of the sport.

As Charlie Morgan said in 1964 when dictating his wonderful book to D.L. Walters -
"we have gone through various cycles, fads possibly when different phases of
dog work was emphasized ... competition has become much tougher ... we have more
good dogs, better training and more fine handlers."

Charlie said that in 1964. Let's count on it being said in 2042 and beyond.

William D. Connor

·
Registered
494 Posts
William D. Connor of Colorado to my recollection must be pretty old by now. I hope he is still with us?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
...The 'flip side': clubs that are well managed, clubs that invest wisely and prudently
in land and develop permanent assets,
that are supported by dedicated enthusiastic
individuals will continue into perpetuity and will remain the core foundation of the
game....
William D. Connor
I don't think it can be said today. I don't have any idea how many clubs have permanent assets (own their land and water), but the number must be very small. None in Colorado do and it isn't likely to happen. To my knowledge the same applies to New Mexico and Wyoming.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Many clubs in Wisconsin and Minnesota own their own land and have clubhouses. There are at least 10 of these clubs. Thanks Mr. Bill for all the work you have done for the field trial community. Now get that book finished you are writing. It will be a classic! Bill was a member of the Madison Retriever Club that now owns 4 distinct pieces of land. It took leadership from club members to make that investment in land and take out loans that they had to pay back. But it was done. Too many clubs had free access to land that they lost and were not looking for the future of the sport.

Jack

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
PPRC has a land fund, it's not much and the club will probably never have land before I pass away, maybe, maybe some day the club will own land? But my guess at the rate of active membership growth of the club, I doubt the club itself will survive...

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Trials yesterday, today & tomorrow. Since the beginning of trials in 1931 "change"
has been the "order of the day". Clubs have come and gone; participants and their
presence reflect a "revolving door", "an ordinary day's shoot" has been castigated
and relagated to a contest of "excessive ingenuity."

The 'flip side': clubs that are well managed, clubs that invest wisely and prudently
in land and develop permanent assets, that are suppoprted by dedicated enthusiastic
game.

The spirit, dedication and legacy of such gatekeepers as Mr. Daniel Pomeroy, J. Gould
Remick, Bun Genty, T.W. Merritt, James Lamb Free, John M. Olin, Dr. George Gardner,
John Frazier, Byron Grunewald, A. A. Jones, August Belmont, W.W. Holes to name
just a few, unfortumately unknown to most of today's field trialers, will provoke the
continued existence of the sport.

As Charlie Morgan said in 1964 when dictating his wonderful book to D.L. Walters -
"we have gone through various cycles, fads possibly when different phases of
dog work was emphasized ... competition has become much tougher ... we have more
good dogs, better training and more fine handlers."

William D. Connor
What you say is correct for those forward thinking clubs which are few but exist. What I don't see is that many of the clubs following that pattern. I think we could go through the NC's of the past & find that probably more than 50% of them were started by someone who by today's standards would be considered a novice, I believe those to be the people who push the sport.

As does the Treasure State Club near Butte, but the more typical approach is to utilize private land owned by pro and amateur trainers. John
I was there when that all transpired - Bob Sparks was a forward looking guy who was a sportsman 1st but also a winner :). The purchase was not without it's detractors who went on to be the most zealous of the caretakers of the grounds. In my opinion the TS club is an example of the correct things being done to maintain a diverse membership. Did you know at one time it was the Helena Retriever Club & the name change was not without a little disagreement :). TS is the proper name for a club whose members come from the geographical area they do. I still have a HRC club pin with Black Panther on it - love those pins that show the dogs.

Many clubs in Wisconsin and Minnesota own their own land and have clubhouses. There are at least 10 of these clubs. Thanks Mr. Bill for all the work you have done for the field trial community. Now get that book finished you are writing. It will be a classic! Bill was a member of the Madison Retriever Club that now owns 4 distinct pieces of land. It took leadership from club members to make that investment in land and take out loans that they had to pay back. But it was done. Too many clubs had free access to land that they lost and were not looking for the future of the sport. Jack
In WA we have a designation called Open Space that lowers the taxes - I would think WI would have that also - but it is not useful to the local clubs as they depend on the generosity of others & the benevolence of the F & W folks to get grounds or rent them from some who have developed them. With the large number of HT folks there are just not enough quality grounds to go around but getting people to step forward to improve that situation is just not in the cards. The roof only leaks when it rains so no need to fix a roof in dry weather ;).

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
All the threads about "old times" etc... Had me stumbling around and I found this one from Bill Connor. Good insight about the way the game had changed and how much better the dogs were....in 1964

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am a proud life member of three Wisconsin clubs that had the foresight to invest in private land with water, Wisconsin Amateur Field Trial Club, Madison Retriever Club, and the West Allis Training Kennel Club. I have served on the board of two of them . We have never had issues of workers support. All three clubs have licensed field trials and licensed hunt tests , both venues for the most part work together. Thanks Bill Connorfor posting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts