RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this old video of Wilson today. Two years ago, we had just started agility competition. We participated in an agility demo which was next to a retriever demo (behind the fence). Goes to show that instinct is hard to override. The announcer comments are priceless :) Never take life too seriously.....

http://vimeo.com/6905833

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
That was priceless! Thanks for posting Martha.:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Thanks for posting. Love that agility!!!:)Not fair to have ducks thrown in on the game!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) I was not laughing that day...pretty embarrassing but when i got home and heard the comments from a non-retriever person announcing I had to laugh. "HIDE THE DUCK" seriously??? :) :) Poor Wilson he was really trying to keep it together but just could not resist the temptation of the "DUCK".

I just love this dog, wouldn't trade him for the world...

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I love dog training. If it was easy it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.

·
Registered
946 Posts
First match(akin to a picnic trial in that it doesn't count) I ever ran my hat blew off at the third obstacle my dog picked it up without breaking stride and continued to run the course. When we got to the Pause Table (elevated square dog must sit or down on) judge said I could take hat from dog so I put it back on and finished the course. Got quite the applause for that run and forever was kidded about it.
One other time I helped to be a wild duck wrangler because the ducks were waddling up from the river and trying to go into the obedience ring at a lab specialty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
LOL, I know you weren't laughing at the time but, how often do we train for Agility while a field training is happening on the other side of the fence? Your poor dog! And, I admit, I actually yelled "hide the duck! Seriously?!" at my computer when I heard that! Too funny!

I was taking classes at my instructor's home last summer. She lived adjacent to a rifle range. Midge could not understand why gun shots were heard in the agility field and kept watching for birds to rain from the sky :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Haha, Kelly, I can commiserate! At one of Nestle's first agility trials, we were half way through a gambler's run, working on a perfect course, when she spied a mitten (this is the frozen north, we pack mittens 12 months a year!) under the timer's chair. She bolted off- grabbed the mitten, and finished the course in fine style with what had to have been a big smirk on her face as I hollered for her to return the stolen goodie.

Then, when Ruger has been trialling for a while, we went to one trial where there was a pond immediately outside the agility ring. Just as I set him up on the start line, a couple of noisy ducks flew low over his head and dive-bomb landed in the pond. WHOOSH! he was gone, did a few jumps on his way out, and splash-flushed the feathered devils. Immediately came back to finish the run, covered in muddy pond slime of course, and was done long before the judge and cheering section had finished laughing. Oh my, talk about mortified..... and of course all the agility folks thinking they were paying me a huge compliment by commenting on his 'hunting dog skills' (thankfully he has never tried such antics on an actual hunt!) Looking back, it was pretty funny. Since then, I often hear people saying "It's Ruger, come and watch!" as I am setting him up to run. I guess there's always the chance of a repeat performance... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts