RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a little bragging from this weekends test. I took my boykin pup and 2 of my buddies brought their labs and we tested the AKC waters and liked the flavor.

id never run and just decided to go to senior and try it out. Got passes both days for my pup. yesterday he ran pretty clean and i didn't mess anything up. Today i tried my best to mess him up this afternoon with my handling but we got through, and both my friends got passes both days. Fair, challenging tests with good judges. Felt a little out of place with the only boykin in senior but had a good time.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Nice job!! Glad to hear you liked the AKC version of the game.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Glad to hear you like the AKC game. It doesn't matter what brand of dog you run as long as you have fun doing it !! Congrats on your pass .:)

·
Registered
952 Posts
AKC Junior is generally a tougher test than HRC Started. Often, the marks will be longer, out to 100 yards in AKC as opposed to 75 yards in HRC (land) and 60 yards (water). Add in delivery to hand and no talking to your dog and IMO this makes AKC harder.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AKC Junior is generally a tougher test than HRC Started. Often, the marks will be longer, out to 100 yards in AKC as opposed to 75 yards in HRC (land) and 60 yards (water). Add in delivery to hand and no talking to your dog and IMO this makes AKC harder.
LOL...i think you responded to the wrong AKC thread.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Felt a little out of place with the only boykin in senior but had a good time.
Doesn't look like your dog felt out of place.

Good going to both of you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good to meet you this weekend. I am the guy with the yellow dog with the purple ear. Nasty hot spot and the medicine is purple. Anyway, we passed on Saturday with a challenging test. Sunday we ran second and pinned the flyer but had a nasty handle on the memory bird. The judge didn't care for our cast refusals so we went home early. It was our title run too. Nice boykin BTW. I think you ran a couple of dogs behind me Sunday morning. Congrats on the passes.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Shhhhhh,,,, Don't tell the little beast he was the odd kid out?? He'll get a complex... LOL Yea,,, let's hear it for the brown dogs!!!

Congratulations!!!

Angie

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your dog did really nice work on Saturday. I'm glad y'all had fun!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
gatorb,
congratulations!!!! but for future reference, after a victory in an athletic event the hero in usually carried on the shoulders of teammates. never under the arm!;) you have a very nice looking dog btw.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
a little bragging from this weekends test. I took my boykin pup Felt a little out of place with the only boykin in senior but had a good time.
I was there and saw your pup on Sunday. The Boykins are always a pleasure to watch. I know Kim Smith was there, and I think he was running his Boykin at the Master stake.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was there and saw your pup on Sunday. The Boykins are always a pleasure to watch. I know Kim Smith was there, and I think he was running his Boykin at the Master stake.
Yes Kim was there in Master, as was Stonewall i think, also in Master.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the best dogs at senior yesterday, I missed him running the water series yesterday, but he looked awesome at the land series. I'm sure you heard the applause from our guys shooting the flyer. I spoke with them at the end of the day and they were still talking about the little Boykin that blew by them and cleared six feet of cover in the air. Great job!!! Thanks for coming to ETRC to run our test.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the best dogs at senior yesterday, I missed him running the water series yesterday, but he looked awesome at the land series. I'm sure you heard the applause from our guys shooting the flyer. I spoke with them at the end of the day and they were still talking about the little Boykin that blew by them and cleared six feet of cover in the air. Great job!!! Thanks for coming to ETRC to run our test.
good to meet you yesterday. Your club did a great job in running the test. You're gonna have to try to send some dogs and handlers our way to North Georgia HRC's Fall test Sept. 8-9. Should be a great weekend.

on yesterdays water test, you didn't miss much, other than me trying to cause him to fail. LOL. I had a handling error, I had my handle still going into the afternoon and somehow he didn't mark the short memory mark and i let him get a little too far gone before handling him, then didn't handle well enough "to the bird" per the AKC judge. She was nice though in explaining it better to me.
He tried to cheat on the water blind but took the cast back into the water and redeemed himself and me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
good to meet you yesterday. Your club did a great job in running the test. You're gonna have to try to send some dogs and handlers our way to North Georgia HRC's Fall test Sept. 8-9. Should be a great weekend.

on yesterdays water test, you didn't miss much, other than me trying to cause him to fail. LOL. I had a handling error, I had my handle still going into the afternoon and somehow he didn't mark the short memory mark and i let him get a little too far gone before handling him, then didn't handle well enough "to the bird" per the AKC judge. She was nice though in explaining it better to me.
He tried to cheat on the water blind but took the cast back into the water and redeemed himself and me.
I'll see what I can do about spreading the word about your test. I can't promise many of my friends would show up, I think Sept. 8&9 are opening day of woodduck season. If that's the case, I'll be in a creek somewhere in Tn. If that's the only problem you had with your first AKC test, then count yourself extremely lucky. At least your dog was well prepared for the test. I could tell you horror stories of handlers showing up to their first AKC hunt test and their dog is not ready for the game. It turns into an expensive training day for them. Thanks for the compliment, our club has some great hard working people in it, and that's what makes or breaks a test. Congrat's again, you have a nice dog and I'd hunt over him any day!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
GatorB, Congratulations on your 1st JH pass. You chose a great club to start your hopefully long AKC HT career at. I was working in Eastern TN last fall and had the opportunity to watch some great dogs at both AKC and HRC Hunt Tests. We really enjoyed seeing the variety of breeds participating in the HT. We took quite a liking to the Boykins. :) Those little dogs show a lot of courage.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GatorB, Congratulations on your 1st JH pass. You chose a great club to start your hopefully long AKC HT career at..
we got 2 SH passes. We chose to start in Senior with the pup. He was ready.

but yeah they had a great club and test.

·
Registered
57 Posts
we got 2 SH passes. We chose to start in Senior with the pup. He was ready.

but yeah they had a great club and test.
Your right...my bad. Thanks for catching the error of my ways and correcting the record. While your at it, could you pass a piece of that Humble pie down this way?

Congratulations on your 2 SH passes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts