RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so my pup is running his first Derby tomorrow morning at the Tulsa trial and I can't be there. Am waiting to hear if Soul shows up or if he is going to be a 13 month old GooberHead. Drew dog #2 so won't have to wait too long tomorrow morning.

Very excited!!!! As everyone can tell by my signature line, I am a hunt test gal so this is all new and exciting for me. Go little brown dog!!

Janet

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh Janet - how exciting!! I'll hold my lucky token in my pocket for you all day tomorrow! Lordy, I can only imagine how nervous you must be, momma. Hang in there - no doubt Soul will do great tomorrow.

Definitely let us know!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Soul being being a Roux/Tyra pup is bred for this, he'll do fine. What is going to be interesting to watch is how involved you're going to get involved in "the terrible dark side" when he does well. What is the title of my fav' Eagles song again???

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My first venture in the FT game resulted in a Derby 3rd. Has since transformed into some SRS stuff and we have spent a small fortune on continued training, entry and handling fees in Q's.
Word of advice, if that second job is not real secure, quit while you are ahead. HT's are a lot less expensive.
Good Luck
MP

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Deb at least he sat still for those pictures cuz he broke this morning.

Janet

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry to hear that. BUT that is one beautiful dog.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
He is a pretty boy! He is just a baby.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just means he's highly motivated and you'll never have to kick him off the line. I wouldn't own a dog that wasn't thinking about breaking once in a while, you can have all those plodders. I bet he'll sit for the whole show next week.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Aww, Janet, I'm sorry. He's a stunning dog - beautiful pictures. He'll show them how it's done! Still plenty of Derby time left for Soul. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your dog broke in the first FT it ever ran?? Not good, not good at all. Someone is way, way wrong on judging when a dog is ready to run a trial. Yes, it’s a young dog, yes it’s a handsome dog, yea it’s a talented dog.
But ………career may be over before it’s started if you don’t understand this.
Not being mean or nasty, just trying to stress importance of not running again unless dog is ready. Time and matuirity alone will not do it.
Hope you'ree on a program and training with experienced people who understand this.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Your dog broke in the first FT it ever ran?? Not good, not good at all. Someone is way, way wrong on judging when a dog is ready to run a trial. Yes, it’s a young dog, yes it’s a handsome dog, yea it’s a talented dog.
Not being mean or nasty, just trying to stress importance of not running again unless dog is ready. Time and matuirity alone will not do it.
Hope you'ree on a program and training with experienced people who understand this.
Wow. Dogs break - even very well trained ones. And there are a whole litany of issues that can happen at a trial that are harder to fix than breaking.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Wow. Dogs break - even very well trained ones. And there are a whole litany of issues that can happen at a trial that are harder to fix than breaking.
X2, would be more concerned about what the camo brigade has to say about your new white coat.

·
Registered
732 Posts
REALLY????????? Career is over???????? Cmon man......there aint but 2 types of dogs, those that have broke and those who are going to. If every dog who ever broke's career was over because of that than there wouldnt be many running now. Thats just plain ridiculous.

Janet, good luck with the "highly motivated" chocolate bird hawg!! Them brown ones will surprise you sometimes!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
If I could know 100% that my pup would not break in his first derby, I kind of doubt our outlook for long term success. I have done everything possible to make steadiness a habit, but you know what? The thing that makes him try so hard could still result in a break that first time out. That is why I am going to run a junior hunt test first, just so I can make sure he does not get away!

Janet, your pup will be great! I am sure he has what it takes and that your trainer knows how to get at it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Tough luck. Breaking happens, mine had his first in a master last weekend. You'll get em next time.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You are some kind of off base. Time out for you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

First, technically he had a control break. The second bird, the shot flyer, went down and he took off. He went about 20 ft and immediately slammed on the brakes when Mike called him back and Mike picked him up. Even though Derby dogs can have a control break and I applaud him for that.

If everyone who has had a dog, wrote them off when they broke, we would not have very many dogs running any type of event. So I hope no new people read your statement and believe it.

I do follow a program. Lardy, just as I have with ALL of my other dogs. This is not my first dog, just the first one I have ever entered in a Derby. And I have been somewhat successful in HRC for 20+ years.

So although I appreciate your obvious and sincere concern, I think it might be slightly overly dramatic given the situation at hand.

Janet

1 - 20 of 42 Posts