RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first ecollar, the Garmin Sport Pro. I have done tons and tons of research on different collars and was trying to stay around the $250 range. I absolutely do not plan to actually use any stim or CC for another couple weeks as I hit OB hard in the mean time. Just have Banx wearing the collar around and getting used to it.

My concern - I was under the impression that a lot of times the working level for a dog is less than what is registerable on the human skin. Obviously wanting to know what the different stim levels felt like, a level 1 was EASILY registerable on my hand, wrist, arm, and neck, etc. I have never used an ecollar before, but the level 1 stim seams a quite high compared to what I was expecting.

For example, a couple well known dog trainers (not gun dog trainers) on the ole youtube use the Ecollar Tech Mini Educator, and show tremendous results (more for house pets, but also a lot of GSD) on a level 5 or 6 (out of 100) and the normal human doesn't even feel the stim until around a level 12-15 on those collars...

Wondering on everyones thoughts in case I should get this traded in for something with more control on the lower end. Being my first ever dog, and first ever ecollar, I want to make sure I have everything in my favor in the CC process.

Thanks!
Jordan

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also just had my wife try it to ensure I wasn't just being a wimp, and same thing... Level 1 stim, she pulled away and said it felt like a burn...

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
You may have just become the first person in RTF history to admit strapping an e-collar to your wife!
One of the bummers with training completely alone is that you cannot stand at the tailgate of a pickup truck after a training session and try different collars on the palm of your hand. Doing this, I have seen collars from the same brand and model give different stimulation levels, it happens. The technology is still so much better than the old red plug green plug yellow plug days but there are hot collars on occasion. Conversely, in the end you may have lucked out and your little Marsh mop may need a hot collar.

Ken

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
in reference to "Ecollar Tech Mini Educator, and show tremendous results (more for house pets, but also a lot of GSD) on a
level 5 or 6 (out of 100) and the normal human doesn't even feel the "stim" until around a level 12-15 on those collars".

When I decided to begin using Hillmann's puppy approach, I wanted a smaller collar (young pup). I bought a 400 TS Mini-Educator.
The scale was 0-100. All my previous labs used TriTronics. My reasoning involved many factors. First of all, Hillmann pups receive
very small nicks on the levels you mentioned to reinforce the fact that the pup was sitting...doing the right thing. It is not a correction
or pressure driven situation. It is not the same as using force.

The only indication that Pounce was receiving any "stim" was that her eyes would blink.....while I felt nothing.

One could very easily recognize this parallel. In AKC OB classes (beginners), when the young dog is on a sit, it is normal to say
"sit" when the dog is already on a sit and left up on the lead to give a slight tug to "chain" the two. "Tug" reinforces the sit that the
dog is already doing. Often times one may see/hear a trainer repeat sit when the dog is already sitting. That is acceptable and totally
different compared to repeating sit as a dog continues to NOT sit.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Its possible there COULD be something wrong with the collar. Not likely on a new unit but possible. I'd advise getting it checked out to be sure. Maybe even compare it with somebody you know that has the same collar?

Other than that, if you decide to switch collars, you could also check out Dogtra collars the stimulation levels are on a rheostat dial so the ability to fine tune the setting in increments of 1 is an option.

Something like this Dogtra 280C might suit your needs and budget just fine: Dog Training E-Collars for Hunting | Electronic Dog Collars for Sale

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have always had tritronics, but this fall I was told my old collar could not be repaired. Got a Dogtra Edge recommended by a local trainer.

I changed out the rheostat knob because it was easy to increase/decrease without realizing It. I have discovered that the 1 level on the dial knob is too hot for one of my girls and I miss not having the low, medium, high options at each level like the Tritronics.

Taking some getting used to.

Meredith

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies! I was out and about again today and decided to return the collar as I figured if I was 100% confident in it on its lowest level, it was pry not a good fit for me.

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in reference to "Ecollar Tech Mini Educator, and show tremendous results (more for house pets, but also a lot of GSD) on a
level 5 or 6 (out of 100) and the normal human doesn't even feel the "stim" until around a level 12-15 on those collars".

When I decided to begin using Hillmann's puppy approach, I wanted a smaller collar (young pup). I bought a 400 TS Mini-Educator.
The scale was 0-100. All my previous labs used TriTronics. My reasoning involved many factors. First of all, Hillmann pups receive
very small nicks on the levels you mentioned to reinforce the fact that the pup was sitting...doing the right thing. It is not a correction
or pressure driven situation. It is not the same as using force.

The only indication that Pounce was receiving any "stim" was that her eyes would blink.....while I felt nothing.

One could very easily recognize this parallel. In AKC OB classes (beginners), when the young dog is on a sit, it is normal to say
"sit" when the dog is already on a sit and left up on the lead to give a slight tug to "chain" the two. "Tug" reinforces the sit that the
dog is already doing. Often times one may see/hear a trainer repeat sit when the dog is already sitting. That is acceptable and totally
different compared to repeating sit as a dog continues to NOT sit.
That’s good to know Jim! Sounds like the Ecollar Tech worked good for you? From all my research, it seems like it would be the best fit for me and give me the most confidence in being a first time dog trainer.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I'd go for a Dogtra 1900 it's got a water proof receiver and remote, I think the newest system has upgraded to a 1mile range, low profile receiver. and when you strap it to your wrist it has a rheostat that I couldn't even feel until ~30 on continuous, can go up to 127 (that you feel).

I wouldn't admit to having strapped it on to a wife (that sounds dangerous)..drunken friends well that's pretty fun. Once they wake up and try to remove it you hold the remote up and say something akin "Go ahead make my day ;)"

Reactions: Boykin Banx

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have always had tritronics, but this fall I was told my old collar could not be repaired. Got a Dogtra Edge recommended by a local trainer.

I changed out the rheostat knob because it was easy to increase/decrease without realizing It. I have discovered that the 1 level on the dial knob is too hot for one of my girls and I miss not having the low, medium, high options at each level like the Tritronics.

Taking some getting used to.

Meredith
Try the Edge RT, its much more like Tritronics. I've got the Garmin 550 and the Edge RT and its pretty easy to go back and forth.

And for the OP, the Edge RT and 550 are top of the line and a lot more money than you are looking to spend. But! If you watch the classifieds here and watch the Collar Clinic, you'd be surprised at the deals that show up for top of the line equipment. If you call the Collar Clinic, they will (or have for me) watch for a particular model and call you when its available. They are experts and give good advice. Steve Snell at Gundog Supply also gives good advice and has a lot of information on line about the various collars out there.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I'd go for a Dogtra 1900 it's got a water proof receiver and remote, I think the newest system has upgraded to a 1mile range, low profile receiver. and when you strap it to your wrist it has a rheostat that I couldn't even feel until ~30 on continuous, can go up to 127 (that you feel).
Picture-perfect collar for Boykins since 2001 or whenever it originated -

MG

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
My experience with Sport Dog ecollar is not good. The significant burn at lowest level is the sign of a malfunctioning collar IMHO. Good suggestions about getting a better ecollar. Might try looking on this site in the for sale section.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first ecollar, the Garmin Sport Pro. I have done tons and tons of research on different collars and was trying to stay around the $250 range. I absolutely do not plan to actually use any stim or CC for another couple weeks as I hit OB hard in the mean time. Just have Banx wearing the collar around and getting used to it.

My concern - I was under the impression that a lot of times the working level for a dog is less than what is registerable on the human skin. Obviously wanting to know what the different stim levels felt like, a level 1 was EASILY registerable on my hand, wrist, arm, and neck, etc. I have never used an ecollar before, but the level 1 stim seams a quite high compared to what I was expecting.

For example, a couple well known dog trainers (not gun dog trainers) on the ole youtube use the Ecollar Tech Mini Educator, and show tremendous results (more for house pets, but also a lot of GSD) on a level 5 or 6 (out of 100) and the normal human doesn't even feel the stim until around a level 12-15 on those collars...

Wondering on everyones thoughts in case I should get this traded in for something with more control on the lower end. Being my first ever dog, and first ever ecollar, I want to make sure I have everything in my favor in the CC process.

Thanks!
Jordan

The collar you bought is the one I recommend to my clients. To me the working level for a dog is higher than what I want on me. On my collar (pro 550) a one is barely noticeable. 2 or 3 seems to be the levels I use most but I have had dogs that would feel a 1 and others that would blow through a 7.
When Garmin bought Tri Tronics they discontinued my collar the pro 200 so I bought the Dogtra Edge because it was very close to the pro 200. It was very inconsistent and sometimes didnt work at all brand new out of the box and their customer service sucked so I went to the Garmin pro 550 even though I didnt want to . I also have had two Dogtra bark collars that didnt work. I absolutely hate collars with the rheostat and a one hundred plus settings. Most of the time you have to get up to 30 or 40 before it does anything. Timing of correction is everything and if you have to look down to see where your at or adjust it up or down you have lost some of that timing and the focus on the dog. With my collar I have 3 levels by just pushing a button and not have to move the dial but even if I do have to adjust the dial I can do it without taking the time to look and see where it is at.
This is just my experience other have had the opposite and seem to like Dogtra very much. I would test your collar on the dog. You dont have to start using it just test it. Put it on him and set it at one and see what his reaction is. All you want is maybe a twitch of the neck or ears. On my dogs you would never know I pushed a button even on a 2 or 3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Garmin 550 on level 1, I can't even feel it at all. I've tried it on my neck, hand, even my nipple with zero sensation. But it gets the dogs attention and he's never shown stress for it. I don't know which button is the "high" or "low" setting, but I typically use the upper black button for anyone that knows.

Level 3 is uncomfortable for both of us. Level 2 is somewhere in between.

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to know what your experience with these collars has been. Do you find the repulsive or irreplaceable in your training routines?
Mike,
I just started collar conditioning with the ecollar and I find it anything but repulsive. I purchased the Ecollar Technologies Mini Educator which has 100 levels. I worked my way up from 0 until my Boykin had any type of reaction, blink, ear flinch, look over, etc. There was no reaction until a level 7. In testing on myself, I could not feel any stimulation on myself until a level 10, my wife a level 9. I am not using it to hurt him in any way. Just to get his attention and feel slight pressure. He uses his brain, and does what is asked, the pressure comes off while simultaneously using positive reinforcement with food reward. (Check Larry Krohn on youtube, he has excellent, easy to understand videos on collar conditioning)
I am speaking for myself here, but the ecollar has been a game changer in the recent weeks I started using it. It gives me a way to communicate with my pup while training, as well as a level of safety outdoors with more freedom where it works as an extended leash without actually needing to hold a leash. I can quickly stop him from running to a road and direct him away from any harmful situations.
I wouldn't say that all dogs need them, but a high energy and driven dog like my Boykin can only benefit if proper care and research is done.
Most guys here have dogs trained at levels I couldn't even imagine, and almost all use an ecollar.

Hope this helps,
Jordan

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I would love to know what your experience with these collars has been. Do you find the repulsive or irreplaceable in your training routines?
Strange wording/Comment. I run MH level dogs; E-collar is probably the most important tool I use. There is no way I could train without it. Might be able to watch the dogs run around but wouldn't be able to get any meanful training done. My first collar was a 1900, I bought it after a rather cold swim in February to go retrieve my young dog, who had decided to not come back with a bird; and after watching pretty helpless on the shore I finally had to go in; wallet cell phone hat etc. That said my favorite E-collar is the Dogtra 3500 original; but they don't make it anymore; they have made the 3500 have overly many buttons and dials. I have also ran the RT edge, probably the most versatile collar in regraded to one hand different correction level but that has a dial to switch btw dogs; and it doesn't fit my hand. I hunt with 2 dogs, I need the simplest orange and black small receiver; so I can control everyone at same time. The new 1900 2 dog is the closet to that realistically the only difference btw original 3500 and 1900 was distance 1mile vs. 3/4 and Dogtra tells me the new 1900 has that; also low profile box seems like a good feature but I haven't used the new system yet.

Sport Dogs, I have heard of many people having issues with overly hot collars and inconsistent correction levels. That would be a rather hard thing to deal with when training a young dog, also first dog first collar. You just might create a bunch of issue to fix.

I have a Garmin Delta; won it at a raffle. I never thought I'd use it. But it has the smallest receive of any e-collar I can find. I've ended up using it for my miniature field dachshund.

Of them all best company to work with when there are issues is Dogtra, have had a hard time with Garmin in the past. So pretty much stick with Dogtra.

Reactions: Boykin Banx
1 - 16 of 16 Posts