RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after having it recommended by a number of people on here that I should get my 7 month old on live birds I finally got a chance to do it this weekend...

Let me tell you that is the most excited I have ever seen the pup! I started off with 4 birds (lost 2 to my in-experience with handling them lol). The first bird I clipped she started off playing with it just fine on the ground playing with is and immediately picked it up and started following me around with it. So then I started tossing it for her to watch it fly and then retrieve. She did great especially since the field I was in had some very tall and thick brush. She didn't have any issue at all with it!

On the 2nd bird I did the same except I didn't clip the wings nearly enough(note prior inexperience), unfortunately I didn't realize it until I had already tossed the bird for her to retrieve. It proceded to make 4 or 5 big circles around us until if finally went down into the thickest part of the field about 40-45 yards off. Ellie didn't miss a beat, she watched it the whole time and barreled right through the brush and found the bird in no time at all!!!

I was so excited!!! She roughed up the first bird a little bit when she started off chasing it. The second didn't even look like it had been touched! I was going to try to get some pictures but the camera battery died

So what do ya'll think? :eek: Any recommendations on formal things to do with the birds?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can try putting the tape over the birds eyes or making a hood. The bird will not try to escape the dog as much when they cant see them. With this process you will not need to pull the flight feathers. When you throw them up they will fly straight down to the ground. You end up with less dead birds, saving you money in the long run. FYI: I pull flight feathers on one side just n case the hood comes off.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Masking tape, painters tape and vet wrap will all come off and the bird will fly away. Ask me how I know.
I end up using vet wrap and tieing it around a wing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Start small with Quail. When you get to ducks, put a baby sock over its head. The duck won't bite your pup, and ruin the whole experience. Also, after the Quail die, keep the wings for future training.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I like the vet wrap thing aroud the head. Never had it come off, makes them flap good, but cruize to the ground quickly. It doesnt have any stickem on it and sticks to itself very, very well. Can be bought at any farm supply store. It sounds like you were bragging a bit about the intro...

YOU SHOULD HAVE!!! It went great it sounds!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's nothing wrong with letting the bird (or two) fly away (unless you are short on money). ;)

Good for you! That read like a great bird introduction.......pup is "jazzed" about birds. :)
Yeah luckily the guy I got the pigeons from gave me two birds for free! I started off only getting 2 so if he wouldn't have done that it would've been a good "learning" experience for me not so much the dog lol.

I like the vet wrap thing aroud the head. Never had it come off, makes them flap good, but cruize to the ground quickly. It doesnt have any stickem on it and sticks to itself very, very well. Can be bought at any farm supply store. It sounds like you were bragging a bit about the intro...

YOU SHOULD HAVE!!! It went great it sounds!
I'll be honest I was bragging a little bit. I was really excited about how well it went and didn't have anyone to tell so I figure ya'll might appreciate it!

I'm going to try and get some pictures/video of her later this week hopefully!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
For the very first introduction for young pups, we keep the pigeons in the bird crate so they can get the smell, see the movement of the birds and get excited running around the crate and climbing on top.

For the first introduction to an actual bird, we lock the pigeons wings (or you could tape the two wings together). This allows the pup to close in on the bird without any wing flapping with could startle of scare them. Once they are excited with a bird like this (running towards it, trying to pick it up, trying to retrieve it), move to just taping the wings or pulling flight feathers so that the pigeons can run and flap their wings but not take off.

Always fun to watch puppies and young dogs get excited about birds!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
For the first introduction to an actual bird, we lock the pigeons wings

Like this method suggest?

In this approach, the dog's first bird is a locked-wing or harnessed pigeon. To lock the wings of a pigeon, spread the wings out, with the bird facing you, by holding the right wing in your left hand and the left wing in your right. Fold the left wing behind the right wing. Lock the elbow joint of the left wing over the elbow joint of the right wing. Now the bird cannot fly or flap. This does not harm the bird, and you can simply unlock the wings and have a flyer.

/

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Like this method suggest?

/
That's it! Lock the wings to give a allow a young dog to see the pigeon wobbling ... trying to walk .... but not able to flap wings to scare a young dog on an intial "up close and personal" bird introduction. Once they are excited on birds like this then you can move to a clip wing or bird with taped wings.

Here's a young dog we moved to full introduction this morning .... she had been introduced via the pigeons in the bird box, then a locked winged bird and was very excited. Rather than pulling flight feathers or taping the wings, we used piece of garden hose with ties to the pigeons legs to weight down the pigeon so it couldn't fully take off.

When we brought the pigeon back out this afternoon this puppy was charging the pigeon and proudly running around the backyard with it! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Man those were the days when my pup was just a bundle of fur, bought him a chuckar put him on a long lead and let him fly he had a blast and at the end of the session I decided that he was ready for a shot he flushed his first bird KABOOOM.. Dead bird.. pup comes back waggin his tail and got a good belly rub that night, never forget that one for sure :D

Sounds like your a havin some fun tho with your pup NICE JOB!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another suggestion. I've had good luck tying about 4-5' of fishing line to a quail's leg with a plastic water bottle on the other end and putting enough pebbles in the water bottle so that when the quail flushes it flies about 50-100 yards and lands. By then it is somewhat tired and or wrapped up in some grass and is easily retrievable (by you, not the dog of course). After a couple of flushes in an open area you can plant the bird in some low cover and start the pup hunting and using his nose to hunt and flush the bird. Eventually he gets what your doing and starts hunting harder to find the bird.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man those were the days when my pup was just a bundle of fur, bought him a chuckar put him on a long lead and let him fly he had a blast and at the end of the session I decided that he was ready for a shot he flushed his first bird KABOOOM.. Dead bird.. pup comes back waggin his tail and got a good belly rub that night, never forget that one for sure :D

Sounds like your a havin some fun tho with your pup NICE JOB!!
very nice! how did you make that transition to shooting over your pup? or was he a ways off when you shot? i've gotten my pup used to loud blank pistols right over her but haven't made the transition to a shotgun yet.

i'm having a lot of fun for sure! i wish i had gotten into dog training sooner!

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the very first introduction for young pups, we keep the pigeons in the bird crate so they can get the smell, see the movement of the birds and get excited running around the crate and climbing on top.

For the first introduction to an actual bird, we lock the pigeons wings (or you could tape the two wings together). This allows the pup to close in on the bird without any wing flapping with could startle of scare them. Once they are excited with a bird like this (running towards it, trying to pick it up, trying to retrieve it), move to just taping the wings or pulling flight feathers so that the pigeons can run and flap their wings but not take off.

Always fun to watch puppies and young dogs get excited about birds!
I'm sure it's me but I cannot visualize how you physically lock the wings. You wouldn't have a close up picture of how the wings "lock" together? I can't figure it out from the picture you posted with the puppy. Thanks!

David

·
Registered
227 Posts
I find taping the wings down or taping one wing down helps keep the pigeon " together" more then clipping the wings. With the rigid wing feathers there the softer under feathers dont get worked out as bad and the pigeons stay fresher for the next session

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.