RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 Mon. Yellow Lab. He has started his bird dog training. After a session and we got home he jumped off the tail gate (which is normal). I noticed he had a limp on his front right leg. It was pretty bad at first but then started to go away. Everyday it seemed to get better but it is still noticeable. I decided to take him for a short workout after 4 days of no work and after I got him home he rested and then began to limp again. There is nothing between his toes and no noticeable pain when I bend or stretch the leg. His activity is still great and everything seems normal. Today is day 6 since the initial "injury" and he still favors the other leg. It's not bad but noticeable. I was going to give him the weekend off of all training and if the condition does not get better take him to the vet. Am I being overly worried?? Should I take him to the vet now? Need some help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would wait till Monday with a weekend of rest. But with that said young dogs should not be allowed to jump out of PU trucks because their joints and muscles are not fully developed yet. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep, take him now. A quick visit with "he'll be fine after a few days rest" is better than possibly prolonging something worse than the favorable diagnosis.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
My dogs have gotten hurt and let out horrible yelps, really scary. But then minutes later, voila, it is like nothing happened. To have a dog still hurting days later would worry me, too (I haven't had many dogs, though).

So I'd be taking him to the vet.

Meanwhile check his toe nails, sometimes they get mangled and hurt the dog a lot.

Edit: and check paw pad. He might have stepped on something---this happened to one of mine, a tiny puncture wound got infected and caused her to limp.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Best thing is no work for a week. If he jammed or damaged a joint your just not giving him enough time to heal. If its still an issue come Monday, get him to a vet.
At 7 months old his growth plates are not fully developed and jumping out of a truck isn't good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
sorry but my dog limps for more than a day or 2 and we are going to the vet! Not waiting for 6 days and then asking on the internet for advise. sorry, but it needed said. I recommend you take pup to a vet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definitely would have it looked at. Limping for a short time wouldn't concern me to much, but days after definitely would make me wonder. Like Tim said, a quick trip to the vet to hear he needs a few days off is better then the making things worse. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dog had the same problem and I took her to the vet. They told me that this is common in some large breed dogs and it will go away. It has to do with there growth. Don't be surprised if the other leg does the same thing eventually. There is a name for it but i don't remember. I will look at my papers to see if i can find the name and some info on it for you. Hopefully that is what it is and he will out grow it (it seems like it takes forever though)!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
875 Posts
It could be Pano (Panosteitis) which is kind of a wandering lameness in young dogs. Your vet would have to x-ray to diagnose it as it shows up like light spots on the bone. It moves from leg to another - about a week or so in each leg and sometimes goes all the way around again. Some say that it is caused by high protein and can be helped by cutting the protein percentage in the dog food. It usually has no lasting effect.

·
Registered
681 Posts
jmonte35,

More likely an injury from landing wrong on the jump than pano, since you noticed the limp right after the jump down from the tailgate. Probably a strain or a sprain since it sounds like she's still putting some weight on the leg. My guess is that a couple of weeks of relative rest (no training or romping) will set things right. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from your vet 'cause we aren't veterinarians and we can't even see your dog!

Swack

P.S. Lifting the dog down from the tailgate will help save her from unneccessary wear and tear, PLUS it will help to strengthen your back muscles!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE!!! His limp was almost gone by Monday morning but I decided to take him anyways because I already had the appointment and I was still concerned.

Anyhow....he sprained his toe...after a little while of manipulating multiple joints the doctors figured out it was his "index finger" toe. The xrays were negative so she advised another week of rest then begin with light exercise. I think his first workouts after coming back will be in the water since it has less impact. He was just introduced to water prior to the injury so this will be a good time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
UPDATE!!! His limp was almost gone by Monday morning but I decided to take him anyways because I already had the appointment and I was still concerned.

Anyhow....he sprained his toe...after a little while of manipulating multiple joints the doctors figured out it was his "index finger" toe. The xrays were negative so she advised another week of rest then begin with light exercise. I think his first workouts after coming back will be in the water since it has less impact. He was just introduced to water prior to the injury so this will be a good time.
Glad to hear he is doing better. By the way welcome to the RTF! Try not to take things to personaly and let things roll off of your back. Sometimes people get a little blunt. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts