RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First post here. I registered a couple of days ago and spent the whole time since just going through past topics. Lot of info (almost overwhelming, especially to a noob like me).

I just my first dog about 4.5 weeks ago. Willis, my Boykin make, will be 12 weeks old on Friday. He's been great so far. He's so smart, and I've been very impressed on how quickly he picks up things. He learned to sit, stay, come and down in no time, and he's almost fully house trained (still an accident occasionally, rarely though).

I've been reading as most as I can on as many sites/forums I can find. I read Waterdog (I realize how everyone feels, but it was six bucks online and I had some fantasy football money to spend, ha). I also orders Fowl Dogs and should be in this week.

My question now is really, for lack of a better term, is 'what's next?'. I know there's no real timeline or schedule to be on, but whats the general progression in the process (I realize Fowl Dog will probably lay this out but I'd love some opinions from y'all). With him about to be 12 weeks, what would YOU'RE next steps be? As I kinda understand it now, it seems that (for the first 6 months at least) the progression would go from basic OB, to formal OB, to basic retrieving (ie basic marks, steadying etc), and advancing to more formal training in the end. Thoughts on this 'structure'? I'm sure i'm probably skipping things and/or getting ahead of myself, but I think knowing a gameplay would be helpful (for me and Willis).

Thanks again for opinions. Lay 'em on me. I look forward to learning as much as I can

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track. I'd enjoy him as a puppy, he'll only be small once! Expose him to as many new things as you can, truck rides, pots and pans rattling around in the kitchen, crowds, other dogs ( when his vacs are done). Leash work and obedience, 3 or 4 easy retrieves at a time a couple times a day.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Hey guys,

..... 'what's next?'.......

Thanks again for opinions. Lay 'em on me. I look forward to learning as much as I can
welcome to RTF Fillmore

..... 'what's next?'.......
a crazy obsession that can be all consuming, if you let it. Never buying things not dog training related. Never driving past a field or swamp without checking out where you could run a marking set up from. Planning vacation time and family gatherings around dog events. Having to move yesterdays birds to get to your tater-tots. Putting a whistle on before you put on trousers............

OH, I bet you mean right now next????
Join a retriever club.
Have fun with your pup, great name!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track. I'd enjoy him as a puppy, he'll only be small once! Expose him to as many new things as you can, truck rides, pots and pans rattling around in the kitchen, crowds, other dogs ( when his vacs are done). Leash work and obedience, 3 or 4 easy retrieves at a time a couple times a day.

I ditto the pots & pans thing, I also slammed cabinets and would hit the wall when walking from room to room at times. I didn't do this with my 2 year old lab and he's gun shy, he loves retrieving but won't come near you if you have a gun in your hand. I have an 8 mth old lab also and I started this as soon as she was comfortable in my home because at the time I didn't have somewhere to go shoot around her. The first time I took her out she heard the gun and didn't budge. Now she hears it and looks up to see what's falling.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Bham.....Only a Bellingham, WA. guy calls it "Bham"....

I'd like to extend an invitation to come down to Monroe on Sunday and meet the folks at the Cascade Retriever Club. They have excellent grounds, put on a regular training days and have a Professional trainer often present. Cost is very low for training days. Then, I'll hit you up to join the local AKC HT club which is not breed specific.....Rainier Hunting Retriever Club...

Sunday will be a potluck style gathering. A great group of folks and a great dog club of about 60+ members strong.

Send me a PM with your email and phone number and I'll give you a call.......If, you're from Bellingham, WA. of course!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bham.....Only a Bellingham, WA. guy calls it "Bham"....

I'd like to extend an invitation to come down to Monroe on Sunday and meet the folks at the Cascade Retriever Club. They have excellent grounds, put on a regular training days and have a Professional trainer often present. Cost is very low for training days. Then, I'll hit you up to join the local AKC HT club which is not breed specific.....Rainier Hunting Retriever Club...

Sunday will be a potluck style gathering. A great group of folks and a great dog club of about 60+ members strong.

Send me a PM with your email and phone number and I'll give you a call.......If, you're from Bellingham, WA. of course!
I'd take this offer up in heartbeat if I were you. Although Paul and I don't agree on PL's he seems to know his stuff.;)

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I'd take this offer up in heartbeat if I were you. Although Paul and I don't agree on PL's he seems to know his stuff.;)
Fillmore, you won't be able to send a private message without a few more posts so reply here a few times until you get your quota...10 I think?

till then, [email protected] is my email. I'll forward you Cascade's invitation. They'd love to have you. I assume I know where you got your pup....only one litter of Boykins recently in Wa. lately..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm starting to get an idea how this becomes an obsession. I originally wanted Willis to be just a basic, functional 'meat' dog-no frills other than the basics- but the more I read and the more I time I spend with him, the more I want to do with him. Maybe trials aren't out of the picture haha

Paul, thanks for the invite. Sounds like a great time and would definitely be something that I could use. Unfortunately, my Bham is Birmingham, AL. I wish I could make it to WA but probably not going to happen, ha.

I'm still soaking in as much as I can right now and am excited to get my DVD in to get some more (visual) pointers. I also ordered the Ten Minute Retriever book and it's on its way now.

Two questions at this point. With him Turing 12 weeks old on Friday, what should I be turning my focus towards now that basic OB is understood? We started working on Heel this week, and that will be our focus for now. (and I know that no two dogs are alike and each case depends on how much the dog has gotten so far, but what would be a general, broad plan for a 12 week old)

I know I need to wait until my materials arrive, but I can't! I'm as eager to learn as Willis is!

Also, any training groups/clubs in the Birmingham, AL area. I'd love to sit back and take in a few sessions

Thanks again- fillmore

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
ha! Good luck! find a club of folks and you're set! good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yo Paul,
We're having our Cascade Ret Club banquet, new officers elections & potluck tomorrow, Saturday night at Pats in Monroe 5-8:30pm
just provide me an email address, send to [email protected] & I'll send ya the invite.
Everyones welcom
Jamie

·
Registered
163 Posts
Call Dave Big Strapper 66, in Anacortes, he'll be out trowing marks somewhere. send an email & Ill give ya his #

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good luck with your puppy. Check out the Midsouth Boykin Spaniel Retriever Club. AL is well represented there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts