RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that first series ate up a lot of dogs (or at least a lot of the ones I know...) and I wasn't there. Would someone describe it and tell me what it was that was killing them? Or was it different elements of the test for different dogs? Did the first call backs drop a lot of dogs? I don't want to probe my friends. It's too soon to ask them to relive the pain.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Really interesting test. It's way too far into happy hour to diagram but ....... Long middle bird about 85 yards through a bit of heavy cover and then a small cannal of hidden water. Thrown right to left and lands in a relatively clear patch of shortish grass. Flyer is shorter and thrown over the line to the middle bird (Right to left). Lands in some rough onion grass (most of the time) at about 45 yards and across a small dug pond. Right hand bird at about 3 o'clock goes out right to left onto an small island at about 40 yards. When the dog recovers this bird (whatever order it is picked) a diversion bird comes out from the live guns and into the pond near the flyer. Blind is off the back side of the guns and the long middle bird gunner at about 90 yards. Very tight test and very exciting for the dogs. Lots of folks primary selected the flyer and then secondary selected the middle bird. That worked in some cases but in others the dogs really wanted the tempting right hand bird so they split the difference and ended up in no mans land. Picking up the birds in the natural order meant that you then needed to get the diversion bird out (on the route to either the flyer or the middle bird) and the memory drain made recovering the middle bird tough. It was tight and exciting so it made handling tenuous at best. The flyer was directly on line to the middle bird for a lot of birds and the wind was feeding the dogs the flyer scent so virtually every dog got hung up on the dry spot between the little pond and the hidden water. Lots of double handles, lots of biggo out of the area hunts and in several cases a big swing looking for the flyer put the dog onto the middle bird which looks a LOT like a switch.

Fun test to run- you basically had to wait until the flyer landed to decide which bird to pick up first. Halley's flyer landed square in the middle of the pond flapping and flipping. I had intended to send her for the right hand bird but then realized that I would then end up with a biggo flyer AND a dead diversion bird floating within a few feet of each other. So I decided to get the flyer out (which she did cleanly) but then you are stuck trying to decide which bird to get next.

Joe and Becky did a great job and made sure that everyone got a fair shake. There will be other opinions but in my not so humble and frequently disputed opinion it was a very Master test- a big dog test for sure.

Not too sure how it went with Mike and Myrna but I'm dying to talk with Mike regards

Bubba

·
Registered
691 Posts
When the other Master flight ran that as their third series, they modified it a bit. The biggest change was they took out the diversion bird. They also didn't have a live flyer, and changed the order so it was short front (formerly flyer) first, long middle bird second, and the right hand bird was still the go bird. I didn't watch any dogs run to see how it changed how they ran.

The OP didn't say which master series they were talking about. It could have been either one, since both flights lost about half the field on their first series (which we ran as the second series)

That was a triple, first bird was a walk up on the right hand side from behind a big blackberry bramble, right to left. Then a long middle bird, thrown left to right (they falls weren't exactly in line, but close enough to get the dogs to thinking). The right hand bird for the first flight was a blind throw from behind a bramble on the right. For our series the throw was from the front of the bramble. Then there was a double blind, short on the left side, but you had to push your dog into a deep pocket of cover. The blind on the right side was a long keyhold with the line between the first and second marks. I heard the killer for the first group was the dog going for the walk up bird on the right, running downhill with a full head of stream, and if they didn't step on it they'd find themselves most of the way to the long bird, pick it up, and then they had burned their line to the walk up bird.

Definitely a meaty test.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Really interesting test. It's way too far into happy hour to diagram but ....... Long middle bird about 85 yards through a bit of heavy cover and then a small cannal of hidden water. Thrown right to left and lands in a relatively clear patch of shortish grass. Flyer is shorter and thrown over the line to the middle bird (Right to left). Lands in some rough onion grass (most of the time) at about 45 yards and across a small dug pond. Right hand bird at about 3 o'clock goes out right to left onto an small island at about 40 yards. When the dog recovers this bird (whatever order it is picked) a diversion bird comes out from the live guns and into the pond near the flyer. Blind is off the back side of the guns and the long middle bird gunner at about 90 yards. Very tight test and very exciting for the dogs. Lots of folks primary selected the flyer and then secondary selected the middle bird. That worked in some cases but in others the dogs really wanted the tempting right hand bird so they split the difference and ended up in no mans land. Picking up the birds in the natural order meant that you then needed to get the diversion bird out (on the route to either the flyer or the middle bird) and the memory drain made recovering the middle bird tough. It was tight and exciting so it made handling tenuous at best. The flyer was directly on line to the middle bird for a lot of birds and the wind was feeding the dogs the flyer scent so virtually every dog got hung up on the dry spot between the little pond and the hidden water. Lots of double handles, lots of biggo out of the area hunts and in several cases a big swing looking for the flyer put the dog onto the middle bird which looks a LOT like a switch.

Fun test to run- you basically had to wait until the flyer landed to decide which bird to pick up first. Halley's flyer landed square in the middle of the pond flapping and flipping. I had intended to send her for the right hand bird but then realized that I would then end up with a biggo flyer AND a dead diversion bird floating within a few feet of each other. So I decided to get the flyer out (which she did cleanly) but then you are stuck trying to decide which bird to get next.

Joe and Becky did a great job and made sure that everyone got a fair shake. There will be other opinions but in my not so humble and frequently disputed opinion it was a very Master test- a big dog test for sure.

Not too sure how it went with Mike and Myrna but I'm dying to talk with Mike regards

Bubba
Remember what happened the last time you said it was a big dog test

Just saying

/paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts