Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this newbee could be so bold: What is your choice for 1st item used in teaching hold or beginning FF. Some books say dowel, some bumper, dumbell dowel etc. I'm gonna try to poll this question. If you'd like, tell the succession of items you use. Thanks.
Bill

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paint Roller

I guess i'm number three....

Other-paint roller.

Scott

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Other- Index finger

I teach puppies to hold using my index finger. The diameter is small enough to fit in their little mouths and I can easily tell when they are exerting pressure. Of course the actual force fetch comes much, much later, (with a bumper) but the foundation for "hold" is there.

In the past I've used dowels and obedience style dumbells, but I used my finger on my most recent pup.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I start with my fingers then will progress to a retrieving buck and then move on to other objects/birds.

Andy

·
Registered
813 Posts
I chose "other." I start with a paint roller.

·
Registered
43 Posts
first tool for ff

First time attemptin FF, just 1-1/2 weeks into it, paint roller seems to be working best at this point. Who knows what will happen tommorrow?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use my dumbbells that I use in obedience. I like the dog to hold objects right behind the canines firmly and find I can teach that best with a dumbbell with appropriate sized bit. However, this is first pup I have used a paint roller with and may consider that when the time for FF is right.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all!! I had not heard of the paint roller, and two days into FF, my bitch is doing a lot of rolling and tongue-ing. I'm gonna try a roller.
Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
gloved fingers, then the glove (once or twice) then a small dowel followed by varoius sized and weighted sticks/small logs, then the dumbells. Once the dog is moving up and down the table it is pretty much all dumbells as they are easy for the dog to pick up, yet the still have to commit to putting their head down to the table. Towards the end of the table we introduce bumpers and birds (they are still getting these before and after each session).

Once on the ground its the dumbell, but quickly move to the various sized bumpers for walking fetch.

Thats the short version.

Cpayne

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we introduce bumpers and birds (they are still getting these before and after each session).

CPayne,
Can I throw marks with birds before and after FF sessions? I've read not to do retrieves during FF.
Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts