RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bag with 2 Mahi, Mahi fielets. I cooked it tonight and did not think it was anywhere nere the size and texture of dolfphine fish.
It looked more like a king fish fillet. Long, skinny and thick, grayin color and after cooked, flaked like king fish.
Is the market trying to trick us like they do with scallopes and sting ray.
Am I wrong?

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Actually mahi mahi is what they call dolphin fish in the pacific! It was changed by the marketers because everyone in mid america thought they were eating Flipper! But as an avid fisher and eater of dolphin, sounds like you got something else. Recently I read an article that stated point blank that the majority of the fish sold frozen is imported with absolutely no verification of source or quality. You could have had anything from tilapia to barracuda. There is NO fish like fresh caught dolphin. Even if you have to kill it with a winch handle when brought onboard cause the damn thing is destroying your cockpit!:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, and there is another name here, besides Dolphin or Mah Mahi, just cant think of it right now. I do know what I cooked was not Dolphin (Mahi Mahi ) it was More like King Fish

·
Registered
369 Posts
ding ding ding christinaA wins the prize! Dorado is the other version. As a fisherman my self and with mounds of Mahi in the Freezer It doesnt sound like you got Mahi to me. Also I am sorry you had to eat store bought Mahi. Mine isnt allways same day fresh but for the most part I wached it come out of the water! Almost as much fun as the dog business!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
There is NO fish like fresh caught dolphin. Even if you have to kill it with a winch handle when brought onboard cause the damn thing is destroying your cockpit!
Jeez Carol, I was told that real sailors killed fish with a shot of rum into their gills. The more I think of this I can't believe it. Real sailors would keep the shot of rum for themselves and bash the fish with whatever was available. :p

Up here we kill the big halibuts in the water with a .410 shot to the head. Bring them onboard once the flapping stops. The big ones will need the winch.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Jeez Carol, I was told that real sailors killed fish with a shot of rum into their gills. The more I think of this I can't believe it. Real sailors would keep the shot of rum for themselves and bash the fish with whatever was available. :p

Up here we kill the big halibuts in the water with a .410 shot to the head. Bring them onboard once the flapping stops. The big ones will need the winch.

Trust me, Ralph and I were REAL sailors;)! And it is the winch HANDLE not the winch. Don't want to get confused with Ken's wench.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ding ding ding christinaA wins the prize! Dorado is the other version. As a fisherman my self and with mounds of Mahi in the Freezer It doesnt sound like you got Mahi to me. Also I am sorry you had to eat store bought Mahi. Mine isnt allways same day fresh but for the most part I wached it come out of the water! Almost as much fun as the dog business!
Since you have an over abundence of fish. Tou could ship to me in dry Ice and I pay freight:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts