RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a long time off training my pup, and have just now started back into it with yardwork.

I'm working on the 'here' cast while sending to a pile. One thing my pup has always seemed to do on pile work is bug to my hand. Tonight it was especially noticeable with a significant flare when being sent.

Basically I want to finish up the double T, and then go on to the Water T. I'm just wondering what I should be doing about the flaring to my hand.

It is not a looking away from the pile because she doesn't have a problem about that. It is a jump away to the left with eyes still on the pile.

I figure it goes back to something in force fetch where I would let her beat me to the bumper on a refusal.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Do a bunch of remote sends on the double T. I'd make them all remote for awhile.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Flaring....

If your dog is flaring when being sent with hand down, stop using your arm and hand. Just get the dog lined up properly and focussed on the objective, and send with voice. Dogs learn this quickly, and it takes away the distraction of a hand above them.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had thought about not using the hand, but she needs all the help she can get with steadiness, and the hand can be a good tool from what I can determine.

I guess it sorta boils down to whether the flaring/bugging is temporary or permanent. If it is permanent, I do need to drop the hand.

I don't know how far I'm going to get with my pup because she has an issue with birds that aren't 100% fresh. It is like there is some sort of gag reflex going on. I know you can force through that sort of thing, but I can't imagine the great ones doing that sort of thing.

I gave her some time off, and changed the way I dealt with her. Then, I made up my mind to remove any doubt about picking up a smelly bird. I started to go back to fetching on birds which I had done before, and she picked up all the birds like she never had a problem to begin with after the time off. I have no idea if it is going to resurface or not. I do figure I am going to put a JH or SH on her, and learn something in the process. She has all the go and the world, and does like to work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
DL

I had the same problem with my 8 month old BLF. It seems that for whatever reason if I touched her or put my hand around her she would slide away.

I did three things, whenever she returned to heel with the bumper in her mouth I started reaching down to touch her on her neck or give her a pat on the head. I found that once she got use to that then she was less "buggy" on the sends. Secondly, remote sends that has already been mentioned. Lastly, once she got use to my hand being around her head, I treated it as a violation of sit.

I wonder if it is part of teaching the T. Hopefully someone with some more experience will comment on this.

Mike

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wayne Dibbley said:
...if you put your hand down on marks?

hand drop should = yeah thats it/commit/go

Is it fair to think of the hand flare as hand down = bad/yikes/force? ?

best regards,

Wayne
Wayne,

That seems to be the situation. I kinda take your post as saying "yeah, how about that?" It is sort of like a compliment.

Just for some additional ramblings for anyone to muse over: It is basically problem specific to lining to a pile. When I am petting her, she obviously does not bug to my hand. There is not a flare on marks either when the hand is down which may be due to her desire to retrieve. She has taken her eyes off the mark in her exuberance to be released. I attribute that to not being able to sit still and wait.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I was wondering if you might have your hand down so far your blocking the view. Maybe she is moving away from the hand to focus on the pile.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
labman63 said:
I was wondering if you might have your hand down so far your blocking the view. Maybe she is moving away from the hand to focus on the pile.
Thanks, maybe my hand is too close to her head. I'm probally six inches from her head now. I don't think I'm blocking her view, but I don't have to be that close. :idea: That is something I hadn't considered.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hand Caution

Make sure that on pile work the HAND isn't becoming the signal for (you're going to get forced/burned now)...if timing is off that might be what is happening.

Instead of the hand being a commitment to the direction and a "presend" signal, it may in "blind environment" be communicating some discomfort and unpleasantness about to happen.

I asked about marks because maybe you could mix up some marks, hand down, and pile sends with hand down...mixed up enough with the weight at first being on the positive responded hand down (marks etc.) until the hand coming down JUST tells the dog "yeah that's the way you're headed"....

Not sure that helps at all, but try mixing it up and adjusting your hadn location like others suggested to see if the dog will commit (lean in) when the hand comes down....ready, (hand down), set, GO!

All the best

Wayne Dibbley

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She did much better yesterday.

Because of a strange aversion to dead birds, I have used ear pinches on things like three handed casting for refusals, and she has probally had more ear pinches in that environment than the majority of dogs. I think she just wants to really get away from my hand and get the bumper.

My collar forcing has probally been very light by most standards, and extremely well timed. She is a dog that seems to respond to collar pressure really well.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts