RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new puppy to the vet today for a check up, booster shots, line disease shot, and heart worm meds and the vet gave me Vectra 3d to put on him for fleas and ticks.

Well I got home and looked online for the cost of the treatment since this first dose was free and the only thing I could find on it was how people's dogs started having seizures shortly after applying it and peoples cats had bad reactions from just being around the dog that had it applied to it.

Just wondering what you use because after reading through a ton of bad reviews I'm very hesitant to apply it to my little buddy

·
Registered
277 Posts
We have been selling and I've been using Vectra 3D since it came out on the market. We have not had any of the problems you are talking about. Every medication may have some side effects but the only one we have seen is after it is applied (mostly on small dogs) the skin will twitch as it is having a reaction to the vehicle in the liquid to make it spread accross the skin. The company claims it doesn't cause a problem or hurt the dog that after a couple of treatments the dog won't react. If it does happen and your not happy there is a 100% money back return policy. I like it for the fact it covers more bugs, works really well for mosquitos.

Yes you should keep your cat away from the dog until the product is dry. It could cause problems in cats if they touch it when it is wet. Pyrethrins are toxic to cats. When dry it is just fine.

My puppy is 4 months old and has been using it for 2 months now and no problems. It is a safe product.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My boykin had a severe reaction to it. He had something similar to chemical burns on his back. Iwish I still had pictures. You wouldnt believe the damage it did. He has done fine on everything else. After using the search function on another forum, I found a half dozen posts about similar problems. I believe my vet stopped carrying it bc of a few different issues.

It seems that most dogs do ok on it but perhaps it is tolerated less than others.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My boykin had a severe reaction to it. He had something similar to chemical burns on his back. Iwish I still had pictures. You wouldnt believe the damage it did. He has done fine on everything else. After using the search function on another forum, I found a half dozen posts about similar problems. I believe my vet stopped carrying it bc of a few different issues.

It seems that most dogs do ok on it but perhaps it is tolerated less than others.
Years ago I tried Bio Spot which contains permethrin on a young Boykin female and she had a severe reaction..drooling, staggering, glazed eyes, and vomiting. I had to rush her to the emergency clinic for treatment. From that point forward I avoid all flea tick products with permethrin on my Boykin Spaniels.

Ingredients from the Vectra web site.

Dinotefuran: quick-kill contact neonicotinoid that causes continuous nervous stimulation of the insect resulting in tremors and death.
Permethrin: adulticide and repellent causes loss of nervous system control; “hot foot” activity repels vectors.
Pyriproxyfen: potent insect growth regulator (IGR) prevents development of all immature flea stages (eggs, larvae and pharate pupae); stable in sunlight.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
My vet recommends it as well, and says the only reactions he has seen are rare skin reactions in some of the herding breeds.
Works well on my dog, repels ticks and mosquitoes better than frontline plus. He does seem a bit itchy the first 2 or 3 days after the treatment, but has never had any obvious skin problems with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I will probably give it to him tomorrow since I have the day off and can make sure that he is ok.

Just made me nervous when I tried looking up the cost of it on google and the only thing that came up was bad reactions people's dogs were having from it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts