RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in learning more about FLEX/ FC AFC Flawless Execution, owned by John and Kathy Armstrong. Others were saying that he was a very even keeled dog with a great off switch but (well obviously) great drive and talent. If someone knows of other studs that would be similar, please chime in. I don't even know where FLEX is located, I am in Wisconsin but willing to travel. If you have thoughts on this great dog or others please let me know.

If anyone knows how to reach the Armstrong's please let me know.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Look on EE. You will see what trials he is entered in. I know he is entered in the Tarheel trial this coming weekend in South Boston, VA.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What is your girl’s pedigree? I know Stinger is in Wisconsin his owner Fred says he and his brother Tommy both live in the house. Fred also owned their Sire Tiger and he lived in the house as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What is your girl’s pedigree? I know Stinger is in Wisconsin his owner Fred says he and his brother Tommy both live in the house. Fred also owned their Sire Tiger and he lived in the house as well.
Her pedigree:

A video of her doing a few singles:

She inherited a great off switch from Jet and is not very vocal, so I am looking to double up on that. She has an intense drive for retrieving and a solid drive for some scent work we were doing with nose work event training, so I don't necessarily need to double up but just want to keep that strong. She is very loving with family and friendly with anyone who comes to our home but fairly nonchalant with strangers (unless they want to throw a ball for her and then they are in like flint), she likes to watch them a bit before she goes over to sniff them, so not the pet me, pet me, pet me personality. I wouldn't say that I see that as a negative but I don't want to push that further with a breeding. She is (when in fit summer condition) about 58-59 lbs. I prefer a stud that is smaller, preferably 67-75 lbs and not much more than 80-84 lbs but for me temperament goals trump size.

She has a great deal of potential, I am really the one holding her back due to inexperience and being spread a bit to thin at times. I like to look at the successful field trial studs because it is usually a given that they are smart, talented and healthy or they simply could not be successful for any length of time in that arena. The negative is that sometimes that drive and strength is difficult for an average person to handle, so that is why I am focused on finding one that is known to be even keeled, off switch, very tractable...however it should best be worded.

If Stinger or another dog fits please let me know. Also if you can send me Fred Kampo's contact info that would be great. I am very open to high quality MH studs also.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I am interested in learning more about FLEX/ FC AFC Flawless Execution, owned by John and Kathy Armstrong. Others were saying that he was a very even keeled dog with a great off switch but (well obviously) great drive and talent. If someone knows of other studs that would be similar, please chime in. I don't even know where FLEX is located, I am in Wisconsin but willing to travel. If you have thoughts on this great dog or others please let me know.

I've bred to FLEX and have talked to Kathy and John quite a bit. Private message me and I'll give you all their contact info.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is she yellow factored? If she is I suggest a yellow or yellow factored black stud just because it opens the market up a bit. The puppy market is pretty flush so make sure you have at least a few puppy buyers so you don’t get stuck with a bunch of puppies. PM if you want Fred’s contact.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I wanted the same thing when I was looking for my most recent pup. More specifically I wanted a fast/stylish dog with nice conformation that could mark, mark, and mark. My search led me to FC CFC Sweeties Easy Rider "Ford". I spoke to Eric Fangsrud (Mountain Valley Retrievers) who was training 3 or 4 Ford pups and he said all of them were very powerful dogs with lots of talent. Spoke to Greg Nelson (Kansas City Retrievers) who said the same thing. So thats what I went with and that is exactly what I got.

Mark S

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have you talked to Brad LaFave outside of Appleton. Field of Dreams Kennel. He owned Pepper the sire of your girls Mom. He and his wife have done some very outstanding low keyed Pirate breedings and have had success in field trials last weekend winning a 2nd in the Amatuer. It may be close to home that you find an answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you talked to Brad LaFave outside of Appleton. Field of Dreams Kennel. He owned Pepper the sire of your girls Mom. He and his wife have done some very outstanding low keyed Pirate breedings and have had success in field trials last weekend winning a 2nd in the Amatuer. It may be close to home that you find an answer.
Patty and Brad are awesome! I bred Peeper and Chuck for her first and thus far only litter. We had purchased Cleo from them because they were helping someone out who had bred to their Pepper, the female was owned by a guy who was dealing with his wife's cancer treatment, I always thought that was so kind that they helped him out. Trust me, my daughters took forever picking out Cleo, so I was there multiple times and for many, many hours and I can say with certainty that they do a great job with pups. I always recommend them when people inquire about pups. I thought about doing another litter with Chuck, it was a really nice litter but I am wanting to diversify because I may keep one.

I will have to check Pirate out, I don't know anything about him but if they are promoting him I am sure he is a talented dog. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Is she yellow factored? If she is I suggest a yellow or yellow factored black stud just because it opens the market up a bit. The puppy market is pretty flush so make sure you have at least a few puppy buyers so you don’t get stuck with a bunch of puppies. PM if you want Fred’s contact.
Thanks much for the feedback and I will be sending a PM. She is most likely not yellow factored even though Jet and Cleo were. I did several DNA tests but not that one, however her first (and only) litter was with a yellow male and she had 10 beautiful black pups. It could be an anomaly but that is unlikely. There does seem to be a big trend towards yellows and I must confess that yellows are easier to photograph but I personally love the deep beauty of a black lab <3 . With that said, I did have one guy who wanted to buy one, but wouldn't because he wanted EEBB only for a pup. He didn't realize that because the sire was yellow the pups would be yellow factored.

I am concerned about the market, I did experience the big combo of overproduction vs downturn in buyers with her first litter in the Fall of 2018. I lost so much and earned nothing given costs for my (and Peeper's) efforts...well I do have a bunch of happy families, so that gives me joy. It wasn't just the market that was the problem for me though, winter setting in here in WI during Fall and then it had become apparent that it was going to be a hideous winter in general caused several guys from Minnesota to change their minds about coming to look at the pups because they decided to wait for Spring. I also got the word out very, very late because my beloved Cleo, my infamous huntress of the woods, ate some creature that infected her gallbladder which caused a horrid scenario of back and forth to multiple vets and my house turning into a hospital ward for weeks in the midst of raising puppers. We lost that war and it took me awhile to emotionally recover enough to even be able to put together ads or even communicate with anyone outside of our family. Well, at any rate I can't blame it completely on the market but am certainly aware of and concerned given the costs and work with breeding.

Thanks again for your feedback and advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted the same thing when I was looking for my most recent pup. More specifically I wanted a fast/stylish dog with nice conformation that could mark, mark, and mark. My search led me to FC CFC Sweeties Easy Rider "Ford". I spoke to Eric Fangsrud (Mountain Valley Retrievers) who was training 3 or 4 Ford pups and he said all of them were very powerful dogs with lots of talent. Spoke to Greg Nelson (Kansas City Retrievers) who said the same thing. So thats what I went with and that is exactly what I got.

Mark S
Thanks Mark, I will check him out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've bred to FLEX and have talked to Kathy and John quite a bit. Private message me and I'll give you all their contact info.
Don, what can you tell me about Flex? How are your pups doing? If you could, i would like contact information for John and Kathy. Thank you for your time

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Don, what can you tell me about Flex? How are your pups doing? If you could, i would like contact information for John and Kathy. Thank you for your time
I've never actually seen Flex run. I decided to breed to him based on a recommendation by a friend. He's typically high in the rankings. A couple of weeks ago he was tied for #1 Open dog. He's now over 100 AA points. Kathy and Johnny here here two weeks ago judging and running the Ohio Valley Retriever Club, judging and handling, respectively, but Flex wasn't here He was running with Alan Pleasant in North Carolina. I gunned both the Open and the Am and Johnny handled Dagger to a win in the Am. I didn't have a successful breeding until late last summer, so they're still young. I kept the only male and a female. My pups are doing well, but they're not ready to run yet. i had knee replacement surgery in January so, between that and the weather, they're a little behind. I can say that I've never seen smarter or faster pups. They seem to have a lot of drive. I suspect at some point in the future, you can expect to see Meglyn's Flexible Flyer (Sled) and Meglyn's Flawless Axecution (Lizzie) running. One of their sisters, who went to Texas, is currently with Rick Stawski for initial training and is currently scheduled to go to Danny Farmer. I'm reluctant to publicly post their contact their phone numbers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2 flex pups under 2 yrs old out of different bitches. When they came home for break over Christmas it took 30 mins and they were laying around on the dog beds and couch. Went out to train and when we came back in after cooling down it was the same back to laying around. I would say they have great on off switches at least from my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts