RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in the Denver area in the next month or so and was wondering if anyone might be willing to offer some suggestions on fly-fishing for trout within a 2 hr radius of Denver. Would prefer to be up toward the Estes area, but not a must. I'm not asking for secret spots, just any recommendations on guides/shops or areas you've had some experience with or flies that have been helpful in August in CO.

As an aside, my travel flyrod is a 6 wt. Am I likely to have any problems on tighter streams?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
prepare for low water condition and low flows.
Sometimes a plus. Trout congregate in the larger deeper pools. Midge fishing willbe your best bet. A double dropper of small midge larve in sizes 18 to 22.
5 and 6X tippet,, 9 ft leaders.. Your 6 weight will be fine.. It is however more fun with a 3 weight... Fish will be small,, but there are larger fish there.

I like a brassie, and a pattern that consists of basically black thread with a tuft of Muscrat fur as the thorax... Rib the body with fine gold wire. Tie these very sparse.. Dont make then look like display flies..

The river that is the main draw around Estes Park is the Big Thompson. The part of the river directly below Lake Estes is the better areas. mainly anywhere downs stream for about the first three miles.. can be crowded..

P.S.
The Big Thompson river inside the park, above Lake estes, and above Morain Park,, can be fun also.. Its a Hike too...

Here is a map..

http://www.coloradodirectory.com/fishing/fishing_bigthompson.html#1

My favorite trip f I have the time, is go into the Rocky MountainNational Park, and hike up the Roaring river..
Its a walk,,but you will get into good populations ofGreenback Cuttthroats.. Beautiful country also.. Day trip is possible, but you will be tired at the end of the day..
Ask in local flyshops,, or get a map of the park... Its on the Lawn Lake Trail head. The roaring river drains Lawn lake..
Ya need to be in somewhat good shape.. Steep hike. Boulder fields. Your 9ft 6 weight will be fine,, you dont cast on these streams. The technique is a long arm reach with that 9 ft rod,, and just dip the fly on the water. RARELY wil you have fly line drifting... Just leader... ANY drag will spook fish just flip or reach your leader into the water. Greenies are beautiful fish Theses are very unique to the park. Thsi river holds the first self susstaing population, that was introduced after the 1982 flood of the roaring river... The river has come back with just a true treasure of a fishery.. Its work the aching legs.. Take a fewd days to acclimate your self to the altitude befor you decide to take the hike.

Little Cutts like attractor patterns. Stimulators,, (very small) Elk hair Caddis, small hoppers, ect work well. Can be fun dry dly fishing..

Have Fun!!

We are in a drought.. There are in place right now,, "No burn" restrictions right now. No Fires! Prolly will last throughout the summer..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gooser,
It has come to my attention you know a little bit about everything. Pretty awesome!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Map of the Park.

http://www.us-national-parks.net/images/rocky.jpg

Dont quote me on this,, but I do beleive you dont need to have a Colorado Fishing licence in the national Park.. You DO need to have a FREE permit however, avaialable at the gate or Forest stations... This policy could have changed Check to make sure.
You WILL need a Colorado Fishing licence outside the park.

Follow US 34 west of Estes lake, through Estes Park,, and continue till you see Lawn lake Trailhead, and roaring river..

(Map can be zoomed in from lower right hand corner of screen)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Gooser,
It has come to my attention you know a little bit about everything. Pretty awesome!
Im just full a shi!!!
:):)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Gooser,
Might as well hijack the thread now. My wife and I are going to be in the Aspen/Snowmass area the first week of August and plan to fish most days. Do you have any recommendations for that area?

Buck

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Gooser,
Might as well hijack the thread now. My wife and I are going to be in the Aspen/Snowmass area the first week of August and plan to fish most days. Do you have any recommendations for that area?

Buck

if you is talkin driftin flies, The "Pan" and the" Fork" (thats fryin pan river,, and the Roaring Fork river...)
Both of these rivers off excellent fly fishin..

if you can afford to stay in aspen.. save yourself some money and instead stay in Carbondale or Glenwood,, then spend what you saved,, on a Float trip of either river through any of the local fly shops.... great Fun! Your wife will love it.. the guides really cater to the ladies trying fly fishing for the first time..

if you want to fish with hardware or candy,,, ( lures or Power bait) then Ruedi reservoir .. really pretty there..

·
Registered
521 Posts
We are going to be staying in Snowmass Village and have a meeting to go to each morning. We have two afternoon trips booked with a guide, but plan on fishing on our own some. Cheryl is still a novice but she has fly fished several rivers in Wyoming and fly fished for bonefish in Exuma.

Buck

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Blue River is an excellent tailwater near Breckenridge that I've fished before and is only about 1.5 hours from Denver. It's beautiful country and we had excellent fishing. I also like it because depending what part you fish it has something for every level of angler and it's excellent for beginners...technical water for bigger fish near the dam and pocket water downstream that holds excellent numbers of smaller less selective fish but no less fun. Check with Blue River Anglers in Frisco, CO for more details....nice folks.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
We are going to be staying in Snowmass Village and have a meeting to go to each morning. We have two afternoon trips booked with a guide, but plan on fishing on our own some. Cheryl is still a novice but she has fly fished several rivers in Wyoming and fly fished for bonefish in Exuma.

Buck
Oh myyyyy, if you want to spring for a 5-Star dinner the Viceroy is awesome! Mmmmmmm....at minimum I'd highly recommend going for a drink and desert. Also the Venga Venga Cantina and Tequila Bar is a great place to grab some very nice tequila!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
The drive up colo 82 over Independence pass is a must also.. In non drought years,, the water falls are spectacular.. Contine down 82 to twin lakes. Fish the MT Harvard forebay for really nice rainbow trout.. Again though candy and hardware waters..

The upper Frying pan above ruedi reservoir,, the road will lead you to Ivanhoe lake.. The creek (ivanhoe creek) that drains that lake is really fun for aggressive brookies.. Small fish,, but very fun

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moose and Scott,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions; I really appreciate it. There's a lot for me to chew on. Have either of you fished in the Boulder area?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Moose and Scott,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions; I really appreciate it. There's a lot for me to chew on. Have either of you fished in the Boulder area?
I've fished Boulder Creek which runs right through town. Cool place to spend an evening or morning but a full day trip it is not. There's something to be said for fishing a few hours in the evening and walking 500 yards to the Boulder Bars for a brew so I won't knock it!! That being said if you are looking for a destination, hit the Blue or Rocky Mtn National Park for the day and head back to Boulder for beers and a great meal...THAT'S a good day!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Too many Hippies in Boulder proper!:):)

West of boulder and a bit north, there is a town named Allenspark.. From allens park S.W there is a lake named Finch lake,, Finch creek drains the lake... More Greenbacks in that drainage also. Remeber small fish. but fun
Lokk on the Map I posted earlier and follow the highway going south out of estes. You will see finch lake... s.w of allens park..

I have fished all over. I have fished most all the big rivers sout west.. Somehow I have just developped a love for small fish in small creeks in Isolated areas...
Much more enjoyable day.

Bar food gives me indegestion,, and beer seems to always get me beat up...:):) Beer makes me think I'm tough... I am ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!!:):)

I am a weenie,, that likes to fish necked or at least wear pink fairy wings...

Hippies dont like that... they just stink...

Gooser

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Listen to Gooser he speaks the truth (he is a weenie)!!! Hehehe seriously though, he knows his fishing...

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
The creek that is next to Finch lake Isnt Finch Creek.. Its actually the headwaters of the St. Vrain.. the St Vrain is another gold water fishery. Allenspark is the destination.. You can fish The St vrain above the falls that are just below Finch lake.. ANNND you can fish the St vrain below Allens park where the Gold medal section starts..

relatively close to Boulder.. Boulder wouldbe a town I would choose to stay in... many prettier places west of there.... Boulder is traffic heaven,, college town, weirdo mall,, and high tech stuff... so... lots a guys with pocket protectors too... :):) ANNNNNND BICYCLES!!!!!! they make a horrible noise when ya run one over!!
Gooser

Notice the Cony lakes.... the creek that flows by Fich lake is called coney creek,, but it is really the start of the St Vrain..

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Listen to Gooser he speaks the truth (he is a weenie)!!! Hehehe seriously though, he knows his fishing...
I actually passed out last week at training day!!!

Nothing more than sittin in the sun to long!!!:cool::cool:

I had to stand aside and let some LADY run my dog fer me!!!

I was mortified!!!

I really dont know why you guys put up with me.... REALLYY!!!!:):)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Do you know John Geirach?
Nope!

Boulder hippie!!

Kiddin!!

I tried to read many of his books.. Way to many words... not enough fold outs..

Gooser

1 - 20 of 27 Posts