RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a litter of puppies that are 4.5 weeks old. Eatin and poopin is what they do. I have them in my shop which is not insulated or air conditioned except by a small portable AC, therefore have the shop doors open a bit to allow the air to flow. My problem is flies. There are quite a few in and around the box and excercise area for the pups. I clean 3+ times a day but those little devils (puppies) are spilling their food and discarding their food from the other end constantly. Thus, the flies. Not terrible but more than I would like. I have the sticky fly catchers up but that doesnt get a lot. I'm cautious when it comes to chemicals around the pups. I had a suggestion of removing the pups for a couple hours and cleaning everything like I do already and then spraying a bit of Tempo and letting it dry. Does that sound ok? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought a "fly motel" at TSC and many I caught the heck out of some flies. They seem to just flock to it. Some kind of powder formula mixed with water in this plastic jar. It just hangs up so no worries about the pups or mom getting in to it. No odor or anything. We use fly predators to keep the population down and they work great. Sometimes we just let them get ahead of us and we use the fly motel to get it back under control.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
This sounds crazy but I have seen it work and it is worth a try....
Fill gallon zip lock bags with water and hang them with string around the area. First saw them hanging over tables at an outdoor barbque place that was set up next to a pasture full of cattle and flies never bothered us while we enjoyed barbeque and dessert!

I've heard that hte flies see their reflections and think there is some flying monster after them.....don't know if that is it or not, but it is pprratically free and has no chemicals, so give it a try inn your situation and let us know if you notice a significantly lower number of flies.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When you pick up the dog poop, put it in a bag, close the bag and send it away with the garbage man. We use the leftover dog food bags for this. Flies lay eggs in poop. Even if you carry the poop to the other side of the property, the flies will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob,

I scoop many times a day and it goes out with the trash. I have never had a fly problem in the past.

·
Registered
931 Posts
We pick up poop regularly, put it in doubled plastic grocery bags, tie the handles in a knot and throw in garbage. Still we have flies because the neighbors have horses, calves, geese, chickens and ducks. So, I buy the disposable fly traps and hang them around the property. They fill up in about a week or so. I buy them by the box load, 12 in each box. They work better than anything else I've tried. I get them at Home Depot.

Arleen

·
Registered
19 Posts
We pick up poop regularly, put it in doubled plastic grocery bags, tie the handles in a knot and throw in garbage. Still we have flies because the neighbors have horses, calves, geese, chickens and ducks. So, I buy the disposable fly traps and hang them around the property. They fill up in about a week or so. I buy them by the box load, 12 in each box. They work better than anything else I've tried. I get them at Home Depot.

Arleen

I tried these just recently, it caught some flies but not enough to make me notice a reduction in overall fly population. Don't put them anywhere near your patio furniture, they got a stink to him that smacks you right in the face when the wind changes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fill gallon zip lock bags with water and hang them with string around the area. First saw them hanging over tables at an outdoor barbque place that was set up next to a pasture full of cattle and flies never bothered us while we enjoyed barbeque and dessert!

I've heard that hte flies see their reflections and think there is some flying monster after them.....don't know if that is it or not, but it is pprratically free and has no chemicals, so give it a try inn your situation and let us know if you notice a significantly lower number of flies.
This does work! I've seen them hanging at dairies and over horse stalls too. We have a few hanging next to our outdoor kennels. A couple flies now and then but they just go away. Not sure if it makes a difference but I was told to put a penny in the bag too. I also keep everything cleaned up and hosed down as needed. I agree sounded silly but hey, it's a fun science project to see for yourself!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
This does work! I've seen them hanging at dairies and over horse stalls too. We have a few hanging next to our outdoor kennels. A couple flies now and then but they just go away. Not sure if it makes a difference but I was told to put a penny in the bag too. I also keep everything cleaned up and hosed down as needed. I agree sounded silly but hey, it's a fun science project to see for yourself!
Are the bags closed,and how is this string attached?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've tried the water trick and it did not work at all. Many of the traps actually lure flies in by smell, sometimes this results in more than if you did nothing. The best thing to do is order from spalding fly predators every spring and keep them out year round. It is amazing what kind of population control these dudes are capable of.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
you can try the new Off Fan repeller. IT works and no smells. We were camping and my daughter had her baby in a play pen and the horse flys were bad. She put the off fan on the play pen and no flys or horse flys came around. Great for hunting since it does not put out a sent like the Thermacell does. Cost under 10.00 and refills around 5.00 but it works. You clip it on the kennel or what ever you have the pups in.

·
Registered
895 Posts

I have seen this and have done this and it seem to help. But what i was told to put a penny in each bag to create tiny bubbles inside the bag so when the bag turns the flys dont like the reflection of the bubbles.

Also heard they have commercial ones out for horse barns

·
Registered
568 Posts
Are the bags closed,and how is this string attached?
Yes bags are closed. I fill about 1/2 full and punch hole below the seal so you get that reinforcement. You can also hang directly onto a cup hook from your eaves without the string.

Unlike traps, that lure and catch the fly, they are a deterrent. All of the bags I've seen and used hang out in the open above doorways, stalls, patios, etc. Myth busters set them up in a restricted space, so maybe it made a difference. All I know is there is a noticeable decreased number of flies around my home. I have 5 kennels out the back door and you can sit anywhere on the patio without a fly around. It does help in this heat to keep kennels clean and washed down.
I've also heard the theories as to what the fly sees? I have wondered if placing the penny inside might represent a predator (spider) so they don't land. Like I said, it's a cheap (free) science experiment!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I used pre tied fishing leader just hook the hook threw the top of the bag and hook the line end on a nail.

Never had one come off.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I've had great luck with the fly jars sold at your local Big R or Farm and Home supply.. I appologize the name escapes me... But track down a store employee and ask for the fly jars and they will direct you... Best things I've ever used....

Richard

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have terrible flies living near some goats and horses. Fly paper wasnt enough, the 3 month porch/entry hanging repellent sucks (name i cant remember) and the bags of water with a penny does nothing. We keep a clean yard and my pup wont mess in the kennel so thats clean. Best suggestion, buy flyswatters and take your frustration out on hem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts