RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a single shot 12 gauge for shooting flyers. Everything I've looked at is modified choke. I want something more like a skeet choke.

Is there a single shot that is sold with the ability to change chokes? What do you folks do? What choke do you shoot flyers with? If you buy a single shot, do you modify the gun by boring it, sawing it off, etc.? Or, do you bring out your hunting shotguns? I don't like carrying my nicer guns around and beating them up in training.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You're correct in your thinking as far as wanting a break-open gun......generally regarded as the safer choice as far as visible to everyone that it is in a non-firing mode and unloaded. If you are buying a gun just for flyers, then look a some of the cheaper imported O/U. Good buy for the money. Your single shot will generally not have choke tubes, nor necessarily be a good fitting, good handling gun unless you are looking at some of the specialized trap guns......but that sure is an expensive alternative, unless of course you're going to a lot of pigeon shoots on the side :wink:

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I've live gunned at tests/trials w/ my Mossberg pump & it's cheap enough not to have to worry about. There's one club that I've gunned for a couple times where I'm always offered a couple of "sweet" gun choices. I've never returned them beat up & I don't think your gun needs to suffer if it's used as a flyer gun.

M

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
EVERY live gun shooter should be using Improved Cylinder or Skeet chokes in their shotguns.
The birds are not torn up so much, and are reusable in additional series.

Shot thousands, regards,

G

·
Buzz said:
I'm thinking about getting a single shot 12 gauge for shooting flyers. Everything I've looked at is modified choke. I want something more like a skeet choke.

Is there a single shot that is sold with the ability to change chokes? What do you folks do? What choke do you shoot flyers with? If you buy a single shot, do you modify the gun by boring it, sawing it off, etc.? Or, do you bring out your hunting shotguns? I don't like carrying my nicer guns around and beating them up in training.

Suggestions?
We have a couple of older pumps that we use in the field. I would want the ability to shoot more than one shot, though... :) Even if you or your shooter can drop them consistently in one shot (and my guys can because they're on national caliber shooting teams), you want to use more than one shot once in a while or your dogs will get a little exited at a test when two or three people empty their guns on a flyer...

I wouldn't bring a nice gun to the field regularly. It WILL get beat up...

Same as what Greg said as far as the chokes. Unless you want to have to throw birds away right after you shoot them. Anything more than the skeet or improved will gut your birds, esp if they aren't flying well and have to be shot closer than normal...

-K

·
Registered
423 Posts
flyers

everyone has their own opinion. Mine - improved cylinder, good. single shot, not so good. "bargain" over unders, not so good. A gun used in any situation will only get beat up as bad as you beat it up. If you're looking for a clunker, consider a used gun. I see too that "poly-chokes" are also reappearing as choke options, "cept now, they'te of the screw in type.

·
Registered
206 Posts
At one time the AKC recommended break-open guns, i.e. O/U. Don't know if that is still the case or not. Basically you get what you pay for, but Mossberg and Remington both import O/U that are around $500. You can get one at Dick's. Overall, will be as reliable, if not moreso than the Remington Express or Mossberg pumps. I know everyone has their favorite, but any one of those mentioned, can be a good all round gun that may be subjected to abuses without the owner feeling abused because it was his "good" gun.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm leaning toward an O/U after thinking about it. I like the ones that break open for safety, but a second shot would be nice. I can't imagine missing too many flyers with a skeet or IC.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I shoot a Benelli 20. Most the time we have a one man band with a stickman at the flyer station. Thats how I started out learning to shoot flyers. So you have to be able to throw and shoot. Twenty is much lighter and gives you multiple shots. they don't have to be fancy but most the guys that have shot alot of flyers can throw and shoot with anything. Course theirs the guys that say they never miss :roll:

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Buzz said:
I think I'm leaning toward an O/U after thinking about it. I like the ones that break open for safety, but a second shot would be nice. I can't imagine missing too many flyers with a skeet or IC.
Look into a Baikal, a Russian O/U. I have a friend with two of these in small bore. The 12 gauge is what you want for gunning trials, or just shooting flyers for yourself. These have choke tubes...run around $350

I have an American Arms O/U with top choked skeet, bottom choked modified. This isn't the way a good trap shooter would do it of course, but for trial gunning, we seldom shoot the lower barrel, so the top one is easier accessed, and re-loaded.

Good luck, Dave.

UB

·
Registered
471 Posts
Buzz said:
I'm thinking about getting a single shot 12 gauge for shooting flyers. ...Suggestions?
Why put that kind of pressure on your flyer shooter. :wink: I know I ain't takin' no single shot out in the field to shoot flyers! Not by myself anyway! :lol:

Good luck regards,
Arturo

·
Registered
635 Posts
Uncle Bill said:
Look into a Baikal, a Russian O/U. I have a friend with two of these in small bore. The 12 gauge is what you want for gunning trials, or just shooting flyers for yourself. These have choke tubes...run around $350

UB
I like these for training as well. The spring actuated trigger group also allows this gun to use poppers when you want two dry shots fired. The guns with inertia actuated trigger groups don't always work well with poppers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
guns

We go to the pawn shop and buy a cheap pump, use it till its worn smooth out and you dont have to worry about it. Ive picked them up for around fifty dollars

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I think Remington is selling Baikals, used to be Remington Spartan, now Remington SPR.

A couple years ago a local gun club was selling Baikals. They said to buy them now cause soon they'll be $150 more, because of the bigger name.

A friend bought a Verona shotgun that was around $700, that was nice for a flier gun.

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Flyer gun

Buzz,

The Remington 870 Express is an inexpensive but very reliable shotgun. It has changeable chokes (I use improved cylinder) and can be disassembled in about a minute for cleaning, etc. I've shot flyers with mine for years and think I've cleaned it, maybe, once. I don't shoot as well as some so I like to have additional shots available especially to sluice a wounded memory bird on the water. I don't subscribe to AKC's recommendation that O/U or S/S be used at tests. Just MO.

rb

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Ken Bora said:
Gun_Dog2002 said:
Oh please. I shot 15 birds tonight by myself. Gun in one hand, bird in the other. 15 birds, 15 shells. Who needs more...

/Paul
Paul,
You have to take them OUT of the crate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey I was just happy I could throw that whole crate of birds with one arm. You have to get hold of the end of the crazy thing, and kinda spin in a circle a few times before letting go. Mind you be glad you only got a single shot cuz you never know where that first one is going when your spun up like that...

/Paul

1 - 20 of 30 Posts