RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be flying a pup from peoria Illinois to Leesville La the last week of May. The airline (delta) said that they will not fly the pup if the temp here is 85 degrees. It will be very close if not exceeded by that time as today it climbed to 90. I am trying to figure out my options and airline programs...? Flying with the pup is not an option. Has anyone had experience with how stringent they are in reference to this policy? Surely there has to be a way to get a pup down this way, even in the summer...

Any info would be appreciated as well as pricing...

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has been a couple of years since I shipped a dog or puppy but it was $250 then from Houston to California. I had to ship before it was 85 degree temp consistantly. They stick by it. Sometimes it is more difficult with puppies with temp, etc. You may ask the breeder about transporting by vehicle with some other buyers. I also know sometimes handlers, etc on this site coming to trails, hunts will help in bringing it all or part of the way.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
The airlines are very strict with the temperature regulations. I once took a pup from Louisville for a friend of mine, and flew the pup out of Chicago via Continental airlines to Lousiana. Continental has temp controlled cargo holds for animals. It just gets to hot in there otherwise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Every major airline I know of has temp controlled cargo bins. I'm a pilot for a major airline and the regulations at my company state that if the temp control in the cargo bin is inop, no live cargo is allowed. If it breaks in flight and we have live cargo in the bin, we divert to a different airport and land as soon as possible. In my experience, live cargo is taken very seriously by me, my employer, and my coworkers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Every major airline I know of has temp controlled cargo bins. I'm a pilot for a major airline and the regulations at my company state that if the temp control in the cargo bin is inop, no live cargo is allowed. If it breaks in flight and we have live cargo in the bin, we divert to a different airport and land as soon as possible. In my experience, live cargo is taken very seriously by me, my employer, and my coworkers.
It is my understanding it is not the cargo bin they are concerned about it is the time on the tarmac waiting to be transported to the claim area. Cont. has airconditioned vans for transport and so does Delta Dash I believe. Two years ago I got a puppy from Utah to Louisiana in the middle of May on Delta

·
Registered
705 Posts
The airlines are very strict with the temperature regulations. I once took a pup from Louisville for a friend of mine, and flew the pup out of Chicago via Continental airlines to Lousiana. Continental has temp controlled cargo holds for animals. It just gets to hot in there otherwise.
As justicedog said. If you fly it with continental you can fly them anytime of the year. We shiped a pup out from LA in mid June to Vermont. They are the only ones i know of with temp controlled cargo.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It is my understanding it is not the cargo bin they are concerned about it is the time on the tarmac waiting to be transported to the claim area.
It's really both that are of concern but you are correct in saying the transit on the ground is a top concern. On the ground heat is the greatest threat where as in flight the opposite is true should the cargo heating system become innoperative. The degree to which we can we can control cargo temperature in flight depends on the make/model of the aircraft. Both Boeing and Airbus have very good systems.

I had 2 dogs in the cargo bin going to Europe a few weeks ago. I had a dozen penguins the week before out of LAX. Nothing surprises me anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts