RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched but didn't quite find my answer.

Getting ready to fly to Atlanta to pick up a puppy and will fly back non stop to Memphis. The pup will be in a small crate that fits under the seat with Air Trans Airways.

Got to thinking (dangerous), if have to be at airport about 11am and if on time arive in Memphis about 2pm that's 4 hours for a 8wk puppy. I'm sure there are no airing yards in the Atlanta airport.

Any thoughts? Can pup hold it that long? Anything to give pup?

Of course I'll hold water and food, but wondered about anyone else's experience.

Thanks, Jeff

PS This also includes 17yr daughter and 81yr Mother in law. Puppy may be easy!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Once you are on the plane, not much you can do, but get some pee pads (Wal Mart has them) to take with you. Let the pup use them in the terminal and keep a few in the bottom of your sherpa and have a few extras for the first thing off.

My last pup flew with me from Seattle via DTW to Charlotte and did fine. They often sleep the whole way on the plane.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I did that once years ago, had a longer flight than you. What I did was to really tire the pup out before the flight. We went for long walks/runs, then she was willing to sleep the whole flight. We had to change planes once and that was a bit unnerving, but she went back to sleep as soon as we settled. I had placed a puppy pad in the bottom of the little carry on crate and had extras for just in case, we arrived dry. I did not take her out of the crate until we found a grassy spot outside the airport doors.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took my pup to the family bathroom so we could have the room to ourself. Let her go on the floor and cleaned it up with training pads. She slept on the plane ride home. Good luck with your new pup.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I took my pup to the family bathroom so we could have the room to ourself. Let her go on the floor and cleaned it up with training pads. She slept on the plane ride home. Good luck with your new pup.
x2. These bathrooms have drains in the floor, too. DO NOT take your pup outside at the airport to go! Also, take a few cloths along, and rub them all over the pup's littermates and mom when you are there. Put one in the carrier, and put the others in a ziplock bag for later. They help a lot with crate training. Good luck, and have fun with the new pup!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Withhold food several hours before the flight, regulate water intake up to two hours before and then cut it out. Wear the pup out before the flight if possible. I have flown two times with pups and a Sherpa bag once Memphis to ATL, another DFW to ATL and loaned it out once for an Atlanta to Las Vegas trip with no problems on any occassion. They tend to quiet down in the bag particularly if you play with them and wer them out before hand, water them as soon as you can after the flight.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the Sherpa bag...the airline says the carrier must be leakproof. Do you think the Sherpa bag would be considered leakproof.

By way, thanks for all the great suggestions.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
I flew from Houston to Nashville with my new pup. Even though it was December Houston is pretty warm most of the time so my pup was hot. Once we were in the airport and at the gate waiting for the flight I took him into the family restroom and let him cool off on the cool tile floor. Continental gate people don't like dogs outside their carriers, even puppies, so keeping him in the pet carrier wasn't great for him, he whined and howled. When we got on the plane I took him back to the lavatory and let him get a small cool drink and gave him a little sedative my vet had given me for puppies just in case there was a problem. In a few minutes he was asleep in the seat next to me, partly in his carrier and partly out. He slept all the way to Nashville. When we got out of the airport he took care of business and has been living happily ever after with us four years later.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes, sherpa bags are leakproof.
I got the bigger one the last time I flew, not problems, that was on Delta in August.
I use a baby diaper, steal a couple from my friends, when one got wet tossed it and put another one. In flying puppies for myself and friends, I have only had one have an accident. I take a bone and peanut butter, or buy the peanut butter in the secure area, that keeps them quiet.
Just be very respectful, and really patient, as sometimes it is a hassle as they don't always know what to do. I call and make a reservation so I know I can get on the plane. I get there early, and I have only had one evil person in 10 years.

Demi

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The 'match stick enema' (do just before going into the terminal) works well for the pups we ship in cargo and will do just as well in the cabin. I brought two 8 week pups back from Germany several years ago and had no problems with either 'teedles' or 'toodles'. Small milkbone keeps them occupied until they go to sleep.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I flew back from Memphis - Dallas - San Jose in January to pick up an 8 week old golden. Got him out in restroom and he peed on a pee pad when arriving in Dallas.
He played with a water bottle, scattering it on the slick floor at the terminal (away from my gate) and 'tuggy' for 60 min on the layover. He had some water, but wouldn't pee again!

He slept through both flights and woke up at the 10 min before landing both times. I was worried about the Dallas-San Jose flight because it would 5 hours from the last pee to when he'd be out again!
There is something about the dull roar of the plane that lulls them to sleep. After he woke up, I unzipped the sherpa enough so I could pet his head to reassure him and keep him from climbing out more. After 5 min, he started slinking down and was quiet until we got to the restroom at the terminal.

Ask the breeder to get the pups used to the pee pads so yours will be used to it. Mine did that, although he quit after 7 weeks because the pups kept shredding them!

Debbie

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AirTrans says the maximum size for carrier is 8.5" H x 17" L x 12" W...

looking at the Sherpa carriers the small fits this description and is rated for 8lbs.

The medium is 10.5" H and everything else ok.

If I get medium, will the bag smush down a little to fit under the seat or is the Small Sherpa ok?

Sorry for questions. Thanks for Answers.

Jeff

·
Registered
240 Posts
I borrowed a Delta Sherpa and flew American. their 'rules' say no higher than 9".

The bag I had was 11x11 and ok on length. I figured it could 'squish' down to 9 " in the back end where there's no zipper, since I tried it on a bookshelf. The zipper end was a bit stiffer.

Out of 4 planes, the first 3 had a 1/2 inch to spare! (I brought it with me and it stayed under the seat) But of course, on the last leg, when I HAVE a puppy and a 4 hour leg, there's something under the seats now - a metal plate that hangs down! There's your 9" limit!

But it was ok and the front end stuck out a bit and I could unzip if necessary.

Call your airline at least 2 times to get two different opinions. An 8 week old retriever is not going to fit in a medium that well.

BUT, I had a friend whose pup was 13 lbs in a large one and was quite 'stuffed' in there and slept through a 6 hour direct flight from Tennessee to San Francisco. She had 4 hours to tire him out, since her plane was late taking off.

Debbie

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I call and make a reservation so I know I can get on the plane.
That reminds me of another good point. Many, if not most, airlines require you to make a reservation for a carry on pet when you make a reservation. It may not cost more but they often limit the number that can go on any one flight. Definitely check with your airline.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That reminds me of another good point. Many, if not most, airlines require you to make a reservation for a carry on pet when you make a reservation. It may not cost more but they often limit the number that can go on any one flight. Definitely check with your airline.
Air Trans charges $69 to fly the pup. But I have the reservation.

Just hope they don't want the animal to be able to stand up in the carrier. 8.5" is short

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
x2. Take a few cloths along, and rub them all over the pup's littermates and mom when you are there. Put one in the carrier, and put the others in a ziplock bag for later. They help a lot with crate training.
When we have pups that will be flying or be driven long hours to their new home, I go to Walmart or Target and buy inexpensive hand towels. I put the hand towels in the whelping box for mom and the puppies to lay on. I also rub them all over mom the day the puppies are leaving, then I give them to the new owners to take with them. The scent of mom and littermates helps the puppy get over being separated from them. It's their baby blanket from home.

Ask your breeder if they do this. If not, do as the poster suggests. Bring cloths or handtowels with you when you pick up your puppy, rub them all over mom and the other puppies so your puppy has their baby blanket(s) from home.

If you are using a Sherpa bag for travel, be sure to get the puppy used to it by putting it on your lap, then putting him/her in it, petting and providing assurance that all is OK. The puppy needs to get use to you and the Sherpa bag so he/she feels safe.

Every new puppy owner needs to realize that their puppy has been since birth with mom, their siblings, and the humans who spent 24/7 with them. Suddenly somebody new is holding them and talking to them. Suddenly everything they have known since birth is gone -- no mom, no littermates, no mom/dad humans. Make their separation less frightening. Be sure to carefully introduce them to the Sherpa bag and prepare a baby blanky from home.

Helen

·
Registered
658 Posts
Send a small stuffed toy ahead to be put in with the litter or have them put a wash cloth in with the litter so that it will pick up litter scent, bring it back with you and put it in the sherpa bag with the pup so that he wil still have the scent of his littermates for the trip.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Another suggestion:

When you pick up your puppy, bring a small leather collar and leash. Go to Petsmart, Petco or some other place and get an engraved ID tag for the collar. Engrave on the tag your cell phone number and your home number and identify them as such. Be sure to carry your cell phone when you pick up your puppy.

If that puppy suddenly jerks, slips the leash, and gets away from you at the airport or somewhere you have stopped on the way home, your puppy will be wearing a collar with an ID tag that has info on how to reach you.

I say put your cell phone number on the tag first so that if the puppy is found running loose nearby, you will get a call on your cell.

Helen

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have flown two different times across country with a puppy. Both puppies slept just fine. The first puppy would not use a pee pad and held it the whole time. The second puppy did have an accident, but she got stressed from being too hot. My puppy was use to being outside during the day and it was winter when we picked her up, so the heaters were going strong on the plane. I was told that the front of the plane is cooler, but our seat was in the back. For the second leg of the trip I bought a cold water bottle to put in with the puppy to keep her cool. She was so much happier to be cool and that part of the trip was a longer flight.
Both times I bought the bag after I picked up the puppy from the breeder at Petco or Petsmart. This way I could get one that fit the puppy. I did not have any problems with anyone at the airport. The TSA guys didn't even make me go though the new body scanner because of the puppy. I went through the old scanner. People in Tennessee love the hunting dogs, even the chocolate ones.

Terri

1 - 20 of 21 Posts