RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get one to better process and store game. Didn't realize they had so many to choose from. Not looking to go cheep but also don't want bells and whistles that are unneeded. Who uses them and which models are worth looking at.

Thanks, Danny

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I use the foodsaver brand and have had it around 10 yrs and still works great. Around 100.00 , but bags can get expensive but are great for sausage. I do not use to it store deer meat prior to making the sausage. I use regular zip-locks but freeze meat in water to keep it from getting any freezer burn.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
A friend of mine has had his for 7 years. I've been borrowing it for about the last 3. Need to get one myself. They work great. Between him, his neighbor and myself it probably has sealed a few hundred pounds of smoked fish, 6 Elk, 8-10 deer and unknown amounts of bulk packaged steaks/pork loins from the grocery store. Well worth the money.

I've also sealed dinners like stew, chili and lasagna for hunting trips. It can get a little messy but, makes dry camp cooking a breeze.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've hd one for a long time and LOVE it. Nothing goes in the freezer that isn't in Foodsaver bags. Was digging around in the freezer and found a quart of squash from 2006 - cooked it and you would have thought it had just come out of the garden. No freezer burn and color was still like fresh. Always be sure that all the air is out when you seal the bag.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I got the same model a couple years ago during one of Foodsaver's periodic super deals, and it's been a good one to date. Be advised, however, that it can be problematic with wet items unless you set it in "moist" food mode. That, and the bags have been expensive, no matter where I've bought them.

Have friends who prefer Ziploc vacuum pump bags for fish and wet game, one of which pumps his with a miniature wet/dry vac he found on sale.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I got a Foodsaver for Christmas .I love it! Its simple, easy to use and quick. Cant believe I froze with foil and ziplocs all these years.:)

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Those of you with food savers, do you you buy individual bags or do you buy long rolls? Can you say why?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Quote " do you you buy individual bags or do you buy long rolls? Can you say why?"

I buy both, but the single bags save wear and tear on the sealer strip as apposed to double duty on the rolls. That's about all I can think of. :) That and singles work good for repetative packaging of burger, chops where everything consistantly fits in the bag.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Those of you with food savers, do you you buy individual bags or do you buy long rolls? Can you say why?
We buy 2 sizes of long rolls, but sometimes we do buy the bags. If you get the long rolls you can cut them wherever you want to make exactly the size you need whether you are freezing steaks, a small roast, any ground meat, or vegetables. It takes longer because you are making two seals. I think the bags are also more expensive than the rolls.

However, Byron (#9) makes good points. If you are making up same size packages of burgers, sausage or other ground meat into l lb. or 2 lb. packages, or chops/same size steaks, then the bags really go much faster because you are sealing only once and you don't have to measure out the long rolls.

You do have to get the air out before you seal. Packages last a long time. I've got 2 yr. old salmon steaks still in the freezer. BBQ'd a package last week and it was like the salmon was fresh-caught. Two years might be pushing it, so I will be using up the last of the salmon soon.

Helen

·
Registered
592 Posts
I only buy the rolls in different widths, size them to what I need. 10 year happy customer.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You do have to get the air out before you seal. Packages last a long time. I've got 2 yr. old salmon steaks still in the freezer. BBQ'd a package last week and it was like the salmon was fresh-caught. Two years might be pushing it, so I will be using up the last of the salmon soon.

Helen
We BBQd the last package of salmon over the weekend. Caught in Aug 2010. It was excellent, but I don't advise keeping salmon in the freezer that long. If you can, use it up in 6 months.
Helen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts