RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Show golden" water entry. Remote send, line manners aren't bad. Simple in and out and in mark with a sinking pheasant. He's moving a little too fast for you to see the paint on his toenails. Bandana must have fallen off on the last retrieve. Looking forward to meeting you at the bandana washing booth at GRCA National.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Psst ... not a good idea to brag about a water entry. ;) Someone's gonna say he's just trying to jump across.

JS

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, that's why I had one with TWO entries. On the first one, he IS trying to jump across ;) . He almost makes it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Psst ... not a good idea to brag about a water entry. ;) Someone's gonna say he's just trying to jump across.

JS
I about fell off the couch laughing at that one!!! My older guy could beat Bruce Jenner in the long jump, if there were a pond in his way!

Good luck Tito monster!! and Barb!

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am impressed.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
"Show dog" "Field Dog" A good dog is a good bird dog when he shows enthusiasm for his work and he wants those birds no matter what stands between them. Tito has the goods! Good luck with him and kudos for fostering the retriever aspect of the breed!

M
(aka the weakest link, but workin' on it!!)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Miriam, what a nice post! I'm grinning from ear to ear.
:D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Thanks Miriam, what a nice post! I'm grinning from ear to ear.
:D
Too many people judge a dog based on what they prefer to see-whether it's show or field. Sad, because it's equally important that the "primarily a hunting dog" is as much as what to strive for when breeding as conformation. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Form follows function. It's always sad to go to an event where some folks hope there aren't flyers because their dog has an aversion to a cripple. Equally sad when good dog work isn't recognized because the dog would't fit (today's) conformation requirements.

I remember years ago running Kate. She was a bigger, heavy coated gal. We got our share of snickers, but she knew where the birds were and she was a wonderful dog to hunt over. She would have done better with someone other than me, but she drew the short straw.

I remember distinctly running a Master test where she absolutely stepped on the water marks. She did not have Tito's dynamic water entry, but she was an older, bigger dog and it was quite evident that she was enthusiastic. There was an honor and we watched a young Lab literally hunt in the parking lot, but eventually come up with the birds. The judge, staring straight at Kate and I, commented to the Lab owner how she loved the build and look of this dog. i.e some make judgement calls before the dog has had a chance to show what he/she has. It holds true on either side of the field/conformation fence and it's a shame. Is the dog yawning on the way to the bird or going with all pistons regardless of what his/her conformation allows. It's the "I want that bird" that should matter most.

I have my own issues as someone attempting to train my dog, but I admire you for taking Tito all the way and he truly looks like a birdy dog.

Good Luck!!

M

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Such good stuff here. I get so tired of people judging my dog based on his looks.
We have lots of issues, too! But we are having a blast, and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Too many people judge a dog based on what they prefer to see-whether it's show or field. Sad, because it's equally important that the "primarily a hunting dog" is as much as what to strive for when breeding as conformation. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Form follows function. It's always sad to go to an event where some folks hope there aren't flyers because their dog has an aversion to a cripple. Equally sad when good dog work isn't recognized because the dog would't fit (today's) conformation requirements.

I remember years ago running Kate. She was a bigger, heavy coated gal. We got our share of snickers, but she knew where the birds were and she was a wonderful dog to hunt over. She would have done better with someone other than me, but she drew the short straw.

I remember distinctly running a Master test where she absolutely stepped on the water marks. She did not have Tito's dynamic water entry, but she was an older, bigger dog and it was quite evident that she was enthusiastic. There was an honor and we watched a young Lab literally hunt in the parking lot, but eventually come up with the birds. The judge, staring straight at Kate and I, commented to the Lab owner how she loved the build and look of this dog. i.e some make judgement calls before the dog has had a chance to show what he/she has. It holds true on either side of the field/conformation fence and it's a shame. Is the dog yawning on the way to the bird or going with all pistons regardless of what his/her conformation allows. It's the "I want that bird" that should matter most.

I have my own issues as someone attempting to train my dog, but I admire you for taking Tito all the way and he truly looks like a birdy dog.

Good Luck!!

M

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's pheasants on land & ducks on water :D
I can't wait to met you and Tito in September.
I hear we will be in the Gundog Sweeps together, can't wait to see what the confirmation peeps say about my little red dog ;-)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Barb, your "show dog" looks like a seasoned "field dog." Good job! Nice job at earning all those titles too. Wow :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine prefers to run on top instead of swim. Leave it to a golden! :D

Vertebrate Mammal Canidae Wildlife Dog

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the kind words and the great replies. Dan, love the photo! Bmay, thanks for the compliments. Jeannie, I think they are separating dogs from bitches in the sweeps, so we won't be in together....which means I can be ringside to cheer for you!!

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
Too many people judge a dog based on what they prefer to see-whether it's show or field.
I think that the GRCA Judges' Ed Committee deserves a pat on the back for including representatives of field orientation in their seminars at the National Specialty. I know that in 2005 in Gettysburg, Push was one of their subjects for the seminar.

Their effort is to educate judges that the dog in the ring who is "different" from what they are used to seeing is not necessarily incorrect.

I believe that they do the same for the Breeders' Ed seminars.

It's unlikely that these efforts will have a whole lot impact on "trends" in either part of the gene pool, but at least it maintains awareness of the Standard's scope & room it leaves for "interpretation."

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Tito is lookin mighty fine!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
hotel4dogs

Thank you for the nice video. I think that Tito is looking really good! You have done a really nice job.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice job with Tito! I looked at the other videos too....nice training pond!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts