RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the force fetch methods I have read about essentially pinch the ear of the dog. Is there a reason the collar is not used? It seems like a much better tool with better control than trying to reach down and pinch the dogs ear on a walking fetch.

Does anyone use the collar for force fetch?

I have a 2 1/2 year old golden that is now collar conditioned and has not been force fetched. He is reliable on retrieves, but not 100% and thus I will be doing a force fetch soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Evan Graham covers the ff pretty good in his volumes and video.
He uses both ear pinch and e-collar method.

His approach and the way he explains it is the best I've come across so far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a dog that I collar fetched before finalizing ear pinch. This was because he would buck when he realized that you were about to pinch his ear. I also did not have a table. He was collar conditioned on sit and here after learning them through standard obedience. He knew hold and understood the fetch command. I feel that the dog must understand fetch without the collar for it to be reinforced with the collar. I only did it in this case because standard force fetch without a table was a physical battle.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I force fetch dogs using three different kinds of pressure: an ear pinch, a toe hitch, and an e-collar. I find different dogs are easiest to force fetch using different methods. The toe hitch works well on the most dogs, ear pinch on the next most. The e-collar is the method of choice for the smallest number of dogs, but on those, it is much better than the alternatives.

With many dogs, however, stimulation from the e-collar produces a hanging-back reaction that isn't conducive to progress. You can actually pinch a dog's ear with a lot more finesse. You can do things like start to pinch but ease up right away if the dog makes an immediate lunge for the dummy, and of course you can vary the pressure as needed, instantly, without needing to turn any dials.

I think one reason the e-collar can make it difficult is that the stimulation is pulsed. If the dog gets a pulse right after starting a move for the dummy, he might get discouraged.

It can be helpful to add e-collar pressure once a dog is fetching well, especially if your dog does the "Oh, your hand's not on my collar, now I'm not going to fetch" routine.

The point is, there's no knowing in advance whether the collar will be the best method with a given dog, or not.

Amy Dahl

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Manual technique, then transition it to the collar for a useful "tool" that the dog knows when a manual technique is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Baron said:
All the force fetch methods I have read about essentially pinch the ear of the dog. Is there a reason the collar is not used? It seems like a much better tool with better control than trying to reach down and pinch the dogs ear on a walking fetch.

Does anyone use the collar for force fetch?

I have a 2 1/2 year old golden that is now collar conditioned and has not been force fetched. He is reliable on retrieves, but not 100% and thus I will be doing a force fetch soon.
The collar is not to teach but to reinforce what the dog already knows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
question for thought

Im in complete agreement that the collar is used to enforce a known command but how about the first ear pinch?
Its not a known command. Dog doesn't know what the ear pinch is for the first time he feels it. How would this first pinch be different than the stimulation with the collar. Talking ONLY about its use in FF.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The ear pinch is not a command. It is pressure to get the dog to open it's mouth where the command fetch is said as the bumper is stuck into their mouth. Where using the collar to force fetch the dog, the dog must understand the word fetch. A dog is not likely to open his mouth on a collar nick to allow you to put the bumper in it to establish the fetch command.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success

We did our first force fetch session tonight using the ear pinch. It went perfect, he caught on very fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts