RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have completed CC and I am now moving on to pilework (have covered debolting etc.) During CC I only did one CC a day (morning) and nice simple marks in the evening.

Now we are moving into pile work is it appropriate to do two sessions of pile work a day? My gut feeling is that I should stick to the current routine but I have limited time in the morning (about 15 minutes actual training time) so switching to marks in the morning isn't really an option as it takes to long to set up with the remote launcher I have. Is 15 minutes of pile work a day enough? and is more necessarily better?

This is my first time through all this.

Basically following the Smart Fetch method.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
One 15 minute session of pile work will advance your dog at a good rate. It would be nice to squeeze in a few minutes more on some days when you have a day that requires more work. Also, near the end of double T with the run byes sometimes it takes a few more minutes than that but as long as you're doing it 4-5 days a week of drill work, your dog should advance.

One thing I like to do as they're nearing the end of one phase of pile work and before I start on another is to take the dog to the pile place and every other day do something fun there. Double T one day, stand alones the next day, double T the next, walking baseball the next, and the weekend meet with a group for marks and setups both days. This is near the end when they are no longer fighting you on it but you want a few more successful repititions to cement it in.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Nope, Often I'll burn on every 3rd send. Often I'll burn on one, then get flaring and no goes and pops, (OK not all at the same time) I usually won't burn out on the T until I've got a good handle on the flaring. For no goes it'll be heel burn behind where I'm sending them from. Pops will usually be a back and burn to get them going as fast as I can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:oops: Now I am confused, somehow i've managed to get the impression from the Smartfetch DVD and book that I am using a low nick on each send.

How often should I be forcing? Glad I asked because that could of been a bad mistake!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Harley, to many different methods out there.

I believe Evan Graham does burn on every send for awhile. Give this thread a day or two for Evan to look at and if he doesn't respond give him a pm and ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts