RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Lardy TRT. I have an 8 month old BLF. Both remote sit force and side send force went very well, excellent response. Started whistle stopping her on return no problem. Started whistle stopping her out to the pile with a side send, no problem. However, next side send she popped. I NO'd her and re-heeled her and sent her again and she did fine no popping. Next side send she popped again so I forced her back. It took multiple nicks to get her to go back. She was very stressed. So next I simplified and sent her from a remote sit back to the pile, no problem but stressed, I quit for the day. Next day just did just remote sit and side send back to the pile with no force, excellent response. I am thinking spend more time just on simple pile work with no whistle stops. When I start whistle stopping again should I force her back if I get a pop or NO her re-heel and re-send???

·
Registered
530 Posts
What is you ratio of out and back from your side without stopping /whistle stops?
At this point it should be at least 3/1.

Bert

·
Registered
506 Posts
pressure on top of confusion is a breeding ground for disaster!
GG

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I would not call the dog back in on a pop. What is the distance to your pile? Doesn't sound like he understood the force. What you did was the traditional Lardy correction: back-nick-back.
I would do lots of remote sit backs to the pile. Put the dog about halfway to the pile in a remote sit. Do lots of remote casts to the pile. When you start be right in front of the dog.Gradually move back from the dog. Occasionally slip in a force on the back spin.

Hope this helps. It is hard to evaluate this without seeing the dog. A video would be great.

Another thing that might help is to try and anticipate a pop and say back before he has a chance to pop. I recently had a popper and this worked on her. Again lots of freebies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts