RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering, once you all have your dog trained to retrieve formally, is it a bad thing to just let your kids, family etc play free form "fetch" with the ball or a stick with your competition or hunting dog in the backyard?

Or does this ruin the formalized training sequences you put so much effort into (ex: fetch-here-heel-sit-hold-give).

Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm sure some people will say no, but my dogs love to play ball and the one just got qaa at 26 months. She goes nuts over the ball and its something unstructured that I think the dogs enjoy. When I was younger we had an FC that I played frisbee with nearly everyday. The dogs seem to understand the difference in venue.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I personality don't think its bad,but when you are formalizing things such as sit,here,heal and so on basically teaching commands make it clear to kids or unknowing people not to attempt using the commands, because most don't understand the standard you are trying to teach and uphold.
My 8 year old son would try playing trainer and it seemed to water down the things I was trying to enforce she would realize he wasn't in charge and think that was acceptable with me. 2 steps forward 1 back.
So if they want to play fetch, I'd tell him to not even try to get her to sit or heel but just throw the ball . Now that she is well threw formal obedience she understand sit means sit from him and most others .
Not a pro,just sharing my personnel experiences with my dog/ peoples.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts