Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just born, Deacon wasn't quite sure what to do with them

IMG_2985.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
Preheat some butter in a frypan and sautee some onions & mushrooms. Put them off to the side and quickly fry the venison-veal in the butter about 1-2 minutes per side. Serve very rare. :p:eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love your photo. What a neat experience.

I can't imagine why some people would automatically think they have a right or a need to kill everything. I hope it was intended to be funny, although I found it altogether stupid and arrogant.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's crazy! I almost stepped on this little guy the other day at work

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I hope you guys left them alone. Fawns don't need any human contact. Cute little buggers though!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah I left that little booger alone. I took the picture and moved on quickly! I was a little nervous mama might comeback soon

·
Registered
877 Posts
We found one (my golden) the other day while doing swimby. I darn near tossed a bumper on it.
Wish I had my camera that day

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were so new that there was still a considerable amount of blood around. Turned them over just to make sure that something hadn't gotten to them already, took a picture and then left.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I used to volunteer to go catch and tag them on the base near here. It was always a neat thing to do, until momma was a little closer than we realized and she was not happy that we were messing with her little one. They are strong little buggers even when they are that small. It usually only took a few minutes to tag them put the collar on them and gets weights and tick counts, but on occasion a few would be difficult to work with and would take much longer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yup seen that and add the fact that my at the time 5y/o YLF retrieved it. Wife was walking the dogs and Maude took off about 50 yards and came back with this to drop it at CC's feet. CC took the pic and came home to get me.
Maudes fawn.jpg

and 5 mins later we went back and fawn was gone. Year before Maude retrieved a live tom turkey with a broken leg. Guess she got the idea that big birds and things are okay from sandhill cranes in TX.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Preheat some butter in a frypan and sautee some onions & mushrooms. Put them off to the side and quickly fry the venison-veal in the butter about 1-2 minutes per side. Serve very rare. :p:eek:
that is great advise right there....best venison I have ever eaten was a road hit bambi ummmmmmmmm yummy

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

I can't imagine why some people would automatically think they have a right or a need to kill everything. I hope it was intended to be funny, although I found it altogether stupid and arrogant.
I don't think he was being stupid or arrogant, I think you are being overly sensitive! I don't think any ethical hunter (which I would say 98% of the people on RTF are) would even think of killing a fawn, he was being silly and joking, relax dude!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts

They look delicious! I mean....beautiful...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll admit to being overly sensitive. Likewise, you found the basis for my attitude about deer hunters. Yes, I'd like to believe most are ethical. Unfortunately, that's not at all what is seen near where we live. I've seen so many absolute idiots, I've learned to absolutely hate deer season. I grew up with it, understand it, and pretty much all family members hunt deer. That's all fine.

We plaster our place with no hunting signs every year. Nobody cares. I watch road hunters every day from my house. Have even watched them shoot a whole SUV full of deer from my front deck. Yep, they threw them all in the back....does, whatever walks dies. I don't think there was a buck in the bunch that day. I have to get my mares in out of the canyons and pastures every year out of worry they'll be shot from the road. There's no need to purchase that gunshot desensitizing CD for the dogs around deer season here. Just stand out on the front porch opening morning. Nobody even tries for one shot, one kill. It sounds like we're in the middle of a miltary practice. If anyone takes into consideration the law about 30 minutes before dawn or 30 minutes after, forget it here. You'll see headlights driving around the canyons at 10 pm a couple days before the ffing season even opens (and we live 1/2 mile from a game & parks employee). Years ago, I worked for the NE Game & Parks. We'd get calls from hunters wanting assistance getting their huge bucks out of the wildlife management areas (where they cannot drive.) Yahoos from the city in deer camp would shoot a little spike and think they needed help. Don't think I EVER saw one shoot a buck they should reasonably have needed help with.

Yep, it pisses me off. Do you look at cute kitten and puppy photos and immediately think of killing and eating them? I have as much right to have my opinion as anyone else here.

Paul---okay, so at least your post was obviously supposed to be a joke. I'm with that and not upset.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I'll admit to being overly sensitive. Likewise, you found the basis for my attitude about deer hunters. Yes, I'd like to believe most are ethical. Unfortunately, that's not at all what is seen near where we live. I've seen so many absolute idiots, I've learned to absolutely hate deer season. I grew up with it, understand it, and pretty much all family members hunt deer. That's all fine.

We plaster our place with no hunting signs every year. Nobody cares. I watch road hunters every day from my house. Have even watched them shoot a whole SUV full of deer from my front deck. Yep, they threw them all in the back....does, whatever walks dies. I don't think there was a buck in the bunch that day. I have to get my mares in out of the canyons and pastures every year out of worry they'll be shot from the road. There's no need to purchase that gunshot desensitizing CD for the dogs around deer season here. Just stand out on the front porch opening morning. Nobody even tries for one shot, one kill. It sounds like we're in the middle of a miltary practice. If anyone takes into consideration the law about 30 minutes before dawn or 30 minutes after, forget it here. You'll see headlights driving around the canyons at 10 pm a couple days before the ffing season even opens (and we live 1/2 mile from a game & parks employee). Years ago, I worked for the NE Game & Parks. We'd get calls from hunters wanting assistance getting their huge bucks out of the wildlife management areas (where they cannot drive.) Yahoos from the city in deer camp would shoot a little spike and think they needed help. Don't think I EVER saw one shoot a buck they should reasonably have needed help with.

Yep, it pisses me off. Do you look at cute kitten and puppy photos and immediately think of killing and eating them? I have as much right to have my opinion as anyone else here.

Paul---okay, so at least your post was obviously supposed to be a joke. I'm with that and not upset.
Wow, so you paint a broad brush against all deer hunters? Yeah you are entitled to your opinion, but don't go lumping the honest law abiding, ethical hunters in with poachers and the like and except those you are pissing on not to be completely offended. You should consider your audience before flaming a person.

Also I don't consider dogs a source of food - deer, elk, ducks, geese and pheasants I do. Now in some countries my dogs may be a food choice for some, I'm not going to get offended cause a person says my dog would look good next to a pile of french fries and ketchup....heck that's how I prefer cat - deep fried and crispy! And because I wouldn't want you to have another aneurism, I'll be very clear, I was joking about the crispy cat...I don't like cats, they stink like cats!

Have a good day.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Wow, so you paint a broad brush against all deer hunters? Yeah you are entitled to your opinion, but don't go lumping the honest law abiding, ethical hunters in with poachers and the like and except those you are pissing on not to be completely offended. You should consider your audience before flaming a person.

Also I don't consider dogs a source of food - deer, elk, ducks, geese and pheasants I do. Now in some countries my dogs may be a food choice for some, I'm not going to get offended cause a person says my dog would look good next to a pile of french fries and ketchup....heck that's how I prefer cat - deep fried and crispy! And because I wouldn't want you to have another aneurism, I'll be very clear, I was joking about the crispy cat...I don't like cats, they stick like cats!

Have a good day.
Fried cat aint' bad till you cough up a furball....

/Paul

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
No, I really mean it..... Like when you smell a BBQ started up in the summer at the end of a long day and it makes your mouth water.......same concept.... mmmmmm tasty.....

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts