RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I ran, I believe, my first four series master weekend test. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and watching dogs "earn" a ribbon.

Marking is primary importance? Eight birds to pick up as marks. Two series were triples-one with an out of order flyer, the other a double. Blinds-three, two on land and one on water. Other required elements, walk up, honor, etc. incorporated in separate series.

Time: Our flight had about 45 dogs in it. We started Saturday morning a little late but were finished by about 2 p.m. Sunday.

Hope others are running four!

Lisa

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be glad to. The first series was a land triple walk up. Shot left, long middle, right. Flyer station was the middle bird. Second series--ran from near the first series was a triple blind. Two land and one water. Dry pops were used to indicate the start.
Third series was a water double with an honor. Fourth series was a land water triple. Mom and Pop on land and then go bird was a water bird.

This description does not include the good bird placement, use of decoys, calls, etc. Also, grounds permitted the first three series to just have slight movement of line and test series.

L

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yes, I'd like to hear about the series also. That must have been some good marshaling to be able to get four series done in such a short time - unless there were a lot of dogs knocked out along the way.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for posting, Lisa. It's interesting to hear. I hope others chime in their experiences. Hope you and your dog enjoyed it.

Sounds like Tennessee had a heck of a hunt test weekend judging by other's posts, too.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So do you get 2 passes or still only one pass?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Lisa,

I am having trouble understanding, sorry!

Are you saying that you think that a 4 series (actually 6 as each blind is scored independently) event is preferable to a 3 series event? Do you think that it better reflects to standards of the master level? Or just gives a fresher approach? Or perhaps because the test is spread over 4 series a more relaxed feel? Or do you think that running blinds in between marks adds unnecessary complexity to a test?

In actuality, 4 series test are not that uncommon. But they do tend to take more time per dog that three series tests as you have additional set up time and rebird time. They also are more land intensive as they use more land than a three series test. They also do not have the versatility as you can't use marks to set up blinds or blinds to set up marks as readily as you can with three series tests.

T. Mac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts