RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at buying TRT and posted as such on a different thread -- while waiting for a reply did some research and found Fowl Dawg's

This will open up lots of discussion but how does this overall compare to the more pricey training programs.

I want a good overall hunting partner with the ability to win at Hunt Trials if I decide to go that direction. This will be my first real dog to train , trained another but messed up and did it my way -- she is ok but will probably take her through the program with the pup as well.

The pup is 5 months a hard charger -- knows sit stay come to whistle and voice. retrieves bumpers like mad brings them to hand (is not finishing yet) we are working on heel. Well enough behaved that have begun to let the lead go and she is controllable returns to HERE if begins to wonder. OK OK enough bragging that is not what this thread is about -- what you guys think about Fowl Dawg's

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have the Strawski Fowl Dawgs trilogy.

They were purchased with the idea of seeing a fully developed e-collar training program explained and demonstrated. This they do and for not much money.

Having said that I didn't think them a good starting point for a beginner, too much is skimmed over or ignored. Worse, I found that Mr Strawski in his demonstrations, especially those of teaching obedience tasks, nagged the dog and displayed poor timing of corrections. Were a beginner to take those sections as an example to be followed, he'd have a more difficult time than need be. For me, there was just too much imprecision.

I've only watched some of the TRT material, not all of it, but from what I saw I'd rate it to be superior in terms of presentation and example.

Just a general observation on your own case. At 5 months you have already done a lot of work outside of these procedure based programs; it might require you to take a backwards step or two before you get aligned with one of them.

Eug

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I have a friend in Florida who has an extremely nice golden. She is the very first dog he has ever trained. The only instructional material he used to train her was Stawski's DVD's.

She is an exceptional hunt test dog and is running some minor stakes. By now, they may be trying All Age stakes - I'm not sure.

I disagree respectfully that a dog with basic obedience at 5 months may have trouble aligning with the Stawski (or Lardy) material. To my mind, this is just about perfect timing, with just about the perfect amount of training for this sort of program.

Good luck and have fun!

Note, if you choose to get Fowl Dawgs, I'd suggest you also get the Lardy Volume 1 and Volume 2 articles. They are inexpensive and the construction of Fowl Dawgs is laid out in such a manner that the flow and terminology matches Lardy's stuff.

Good luck! If you're like many of us, you'll eventually own both!

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am somewhat new to the sport, but in my opinion, Stawski's Fowl Dawgs is a complete package. I have the series and refer to them on an ongoing basis, and awaiting the next in the series which will be out in the next month.

Not only does it help me work with my dog, it also helps "train the trainer" (me). If you run into a problem or question, Rick is also available to help assist.

You can't go wrong, they are more then worth the money.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I don't know which is better, but Dennis Voight gave Stawski's program high marks in ROL when he reviewed it several years ago. I would take his recommendation over most.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used the Fowl Dog DVD's as a supplement when I have trouble translating the book's instructions to work on the field. There are a number of very good sources: the Tritronics retriever book, the Smartworks series, and others. Also, join your local retriever club and maybe work with a professional to get started. I trained 3 pretty good hunting dogs before I got serious, and now have a very good hunting dog running master level hunt tests. It's a lot of fun!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am somewhat new to the sport, but in my opinion, Stawski's Fowl Dawgs is a complete package. I have the series and refer to them on an ongoing basis, and awaiting the next in the series which will be out in the next month.

Not only does it help me work with my dog, it also helps "train the trainer" (me). If you run into a problem or question, Rick is also available to help assist.

You can't go wrong, they are more then worth the money.
there is another video coming out in the fowl dawg series?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Can hardly wait.:) Excellent DVD's. Anybody know what this DVD is about??

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have all the Fowl Dawgs DVD's, they are one of the best bang for the buck training video's.

I think his #3 video is the best

1 - 13 of 13 Posts