RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Please vote on one of the following 5 entries....highest # of votes wins!

• #1 Vammy

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • #2 tom476

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • #3 Matt Weberpal

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • #4 sara c

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • #5 bruce

Votes: 9 21.4%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two dog stories that go down in the "hunting lore" of my pheasant hunting buddies....since I can't decide which to tell, I'll tell them both!

"The Retrieve"

It was mid-90's, Bailey was 6 or 7 years old...she was a capable retriever, steady to flush and shot, simple casting, awesome at tracking down birds, and she could mark. We were hunting pheasants in SE Nebraska on brilliant January day with our best friend Kevin...mid-afternoon, light snow on the ground, we were walking through a corn field to get to a fenceline that had always been pretty good. Halfway through the field, Bailey goes hot, and flushes a rooster! The bird flies right, a simple passing shot for me...and 3 shots later, the bird is apparently untouched, and winging it towards a plum thicket 100+ yards away on the far edge of the field (and not the direction we're going). We all watch that bird fly away for several seconds, the bird pulls up, landing gear down, and flutters into the thicket...and Bailey breaks for the bird! I'm screaming NO!, whistling sit, then recall, and she's not listening for nothing. Totally unlike her, and as Kevin and I start to walk that direction to get her, we're discussing what the heck is her problem, and how in hades had I missed that bird...we get to the thicket, and Bailey is nowhere to be found. We can see dog tracks in the snow, we see where the bird lit and ducked into the thicket, and she followed it in...but no dog. I'm calling (yelling, now), and hitting the whistle, and getting madder and madder; Kevin and I meet on other side of the thicket, I'm ready to kill her, and Kevin says "Oh, I wouldn't be too hard on her. Turn around"....and there she is, standing 5 feet behind me, with the rooster!

Now, there is no question she broke, and there's no question she disobeyed and kept going after that bird...but Kevin and I believe she saw something in how that bird landed, that she knew it was dead, and she needed to retrieve it...

The Year of the Hunt 'Em Up Blinds

Fast forward to 2006; new dog, YLM, Chase...if Bailey was good, Chase was exceptional. A pheasant hunting machine, with tireless energy. We're in South Dakota, the usual group of 6 guys and 3 dogs, Chase and my buddy's 2 Vislas. 2006 had been a wet summer, and a very dry fall where we hunt...the cattail sloughs were so thick you could hardly walk through them, and the seed pods were so dry, they'd explode into fluff if you hit one. We ate more cattail fluff that year than I can even describe, and the leaves and stems were so sharp, you'd have 1000 cuts on your arms and hands if you left them exposed. But, that's where the birds were, and that's where we hunted. All three dogs were having a field day blowing birds out; they were in there just as thick as the cattails. The problem was, the dogs couldn't mark anything that went down! So practically every bird was a handle to AOF (or take them to AOF, handling was all but nonexistent when you can't see the dog and he can't see you), and then hunt 'em up...and this is where Chase excelled. Both of the Vislas are excellent pointers, but in that thick crap we hunted, they had trouble finding dead birds. Time and again, it was "Vermeer, bring Chase, we've got a bird down." So imagine a 10 yard circle of busted up cattails that had been stomped by 2-3 guys and 1 or more dogs, and send your dog in to find that bird...add to it was the place was loaded with bird scent...and Chase simply went to work and dug them out. Every single one; we did not lose a bird that weekend. And we shot a few...if you look closely at Chase in the attached pic, you'll see his eyes are busted up like a prize fighter...poor guy was cut up from those cattails, but you couldn't keep him in the truck...no, he'd scream bloody murder. That dog simply did not know "quit", and if he knew a bird was in there, he wasn't leaving until he found it. So 2006 went down as "the year we almost died in the cattails but Chase didn't lose a bird"

View attachment 7491

God Bless you Chase...you were one in a million.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are many but here is one. I have two dogs I am working one 5 years younger than the other with a late start on the first. The first swim by was very hard, the dog is a loveable knot head and would not stay in the water no matter what we did, I don't know how many times we threw him in the water. I had some very knowledgeable help, they said he was one of the hardest dogs they had ever seen in swim by. Finally got him to stop in running water and take casts. He to this day has hardly no stop in water and if he gets something in his head he is going to do it no matter what, never know what you are going to get! So the next summer I'm doing the young dogs swim by, I give him an over cast-he takes off, hits the bank, scrambles up the bank all out(overruns the bumper full blast) and takes off across the drive out of sight. My friend is telling me in frustration to blow my whistle/blow my whistle, I did finally but couldn't see my dog at this point and called him in. I turned to my frustrated friend and said with a big excited grin "'I didn't know they could do that!!" Needless to say they said he was one of the easiest to teach swim by. Sara

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rick Stawski is giving away a full set of his Fowl Dawgs 1, 2, 3 and 4 series to a lucky RTF user.

All registered users may sign up to win in this thread. But to do so, you must follow the rules.

1) You may post ONLY ONCE in this thread. Anybody posting more than once in this thread is ineligible to win.

2) You may edit your one and only post in this thread right up until the deadline, which is Sunday June 24.

3) To enter, merely post in this thread one simple topic - your favorite retriever memory. It can be a poem, a story, an image, anything. But here's the kicker, it will be voted upon. The winner will be the one with the most votes.

4) This thread will be locked on Sunday June 24. At that time a random draw will be done to select five (5) posts in this thread.

5) A poll will be run for a limited time period. During that time, all RTF users may vote using the poll buttons for their favorite of those 5 randomly drawn entries.

This sweepstakes is part luck, part skill, part popularity. In the end, one of you will win a full set of the Fowl Dawgs series, including the new Fowl Dawgs 4.

Good luck and have fun! Chris

Ok here goes ... back in the early nineties when we had just begun our journey with Labs ... our Dam was whelping her second litter in her kennel and the sire was getting curious ... i told the kids to distract him by throwing a tennis ball for him ... well prey drive and competition proved too much for Tilda ... she delivered pup three to hand left the kennel beating cody to the ball and proudly returned to the kennel to deliver pup 4 of 11 ... she also survived being shot by an arrow, but thats another story ... OBTW Rick I think your series is the best valur on the market and easy for beginers to follow ... thanks for doing them ...

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Placeholder - Fowl Dawgs Contest Next step

This is the final step of the Fowl Dawgs #4 Promotional DVD set sweepstakes.

Please vote on one of the above entries to be the winner. This is a non-public poll. Users may not see who voted for what. Users are limited to one vote only.

Highest # of votes wins!

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
How come the poll doesnot get bumped when you vote? What's to keep it from disappearing before the close? Just curious

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
#3 great post

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrat Matt! That's a great picture!

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Congrat Matt! That's a great picture!
x2!
Ida voted for you as well Matt, if I had seen the poll. Totaly missed it.:(
I kinda, sorta, kept my eyes out for it but is slipped past me. Good Job!
I think because the poll was started by one of the 5, Vammy instead of Chris A. I glossed right over it.
I was looking for a janitor sticky I think.
Years ago when rtf had a rotating photo on the front page, that photo would have been great.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I know Ken,

One of our RTF contest naysayers sent me a PM about how nobody cares about these contests :-? and the used the relatively low number of total voters as evidence.

I agree Ken that I did a poor job of propping up the second part of the contest to alert folks to vote.

In any case, the polls I've seen on RTF, once a percentage gets rolling, it seems to stay fairly consistent, so I'm pretty confident that if we had more voters, we'd have had the same winner.

Congrats to Matt Weberpal.

Rick Stawski did send a note to me over the weekend and he loved the stories and pictures. You'll be getting your package sometime soon, shipped directly to you by Rick.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts