RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If it's hot weather I just put them in the sun on the driveway the morning we are going to train. If it's cool weather I put them on the garage floor the night before and they are defrosted before morning. Yes you can reuse them about 10 times before they get too gross. If you use them in the water be sure they are dry before freezing them. I put them on a duck hanger with a box fan and will leave it running for a few hours before wrapping & putting them back in the freezer. Be warned if your neighbors see this you will have a lot of explaining to do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We seldom thaw them. The winter months its to cold for them to thaw and I aint bringing them in the house. During the warm days of summer we dont worry about thawing either, they thaw out fast enough and keep longer if your training for a while

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We seldom thaw them. The winter months its to cold for them to thaw and I aint bringing them in the house. During the warm days of summer we dont worry about thawing either, they thaw out fast enough and keep longer if your training for a while
Thanks for the responses! So, i can train with a frozen bird right out of the freezer?

It won't take long to thaw when its 78 degrees in February here is GA.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I no longer thaw birds. They "thaw out" soon enough down here unless its the dead of "winter." I fan dry them when done, wrap in newspaper, and re-freeze. My neighbors have finally gotten to the point where they don't say much.....;-)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I put ducks out in the morning so they are thawed out and dry by the time I get home from work. Keep them in a place where flies can't land on them and maggot them up. If you use plastic bags for refreeze, keep the bags open as much as possible so condensation has time to evaporate before you put them back in the freezer.

Helpful hint: if you are using the wife's microwave to thaw birds out, use the low setting so they don't explode. :monkey:

·
Registered
360 Posts
In the summer months I do not thaw at all. It helps keep the birds nice longer. Dry with fan and refreeze as many times as you can stand.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm in thaw and refreeze camp . I keep them in the garage freezer and dry them before refreezing. They last pretty long I keep about 6-10 in the freezer and rotate . just throw them out when they become slimy and " fragrant" you'll know when .

·
Registered
266 Posts
How long can you keep in the freezer? If not being used for about 5 or 6 months are they still okay for the dogs?

Also they are not wrapped, is that really bad? Thanks, I'm sure this is a dumb question but I want to be up to date on my bird knowledge.

Thanks!:):)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I would say they keep indefinitely. I've seen some that the feet and beaks get a lighter yellow color from long term storage. They aren't beautiful but still serve the purpose.

Wrapping would be nice but I never take the time. I put two in a plastic grocery bag, one head this way, one head that way and stack them like cord wood in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thanks for the responses! So, i can train with a frozen bird right out of the freezer?

It won't take long to thaw when its 78 degrees in February here is GA.
For a new pup the frozen birds will usually be easier than thawed birds for a retrieve. That is the usual progression. good luck. My wife has reclaimed my freezer--must be time for a new lab. ;)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Take them out of the freezer nuke em for 1 minute then off to train. After the day, hang dry then back in the freezer. I use re use them as long as they stay together.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have some birds that have lasted a good 5 weeks (and still going strong) that have not been frozen---deep chilled maybe. They are in way better shape than their frozen compatriots. I'm now thinking refreezing and/or tossing them around frozen is harder on them than keeping them simply chilled when they are not employed. I'm going to quit refreezing and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.