RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the deal....Put new wires on my throwers.....Followed the directions,had everybody in town work on them ...dry fire them while setting up ..get the dogs out get to line and NO Bird....recievers and transmitters are fully charged and new batteries.....walk down to the thrower stand next to it still no fire ...undo everything ..kick it..hammer on it maybe it works maybe it wont ...take the servo out move the wires it works ..put it back together dry fire it.... get back to the line get dog set ....NO BIRD.. obviously iam not connecting this right ..DOES anybody have have the same problem or have a real way of fixing them ...the wires are so small.... i didnt have this problem before i replaced the wires on all three wingers

Pat

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are you sure the polarity on the servo vs wiring is correct to match your electronics? TT and Dogtra have opposite polarity. So you have to swap the wires around. Also are the male end of your plug have a mono configuration?
I agree with you on the wires they are very small so you have to make sure you don't cut any of them off or you will not ghet a good current. I always solder mine to assure a solid connection.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the new wires. What wire did you replace it with? Higher or lower gauge than the stock. Did you change out the plug?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pat
Buy a trainrite Bird boy end of problems!

This is the deal....Put new wires on my throwers.....Followed the directions,had everybody in town work on them ...dry fire them while setting up ..get the dogs out get to line and NO Bird....recievers and transmitters are fully charged and new batteries.....walk down to the thrower stand next to it still no fire ...undo everything ..kick it..hammer on it maybe it works maybe it wont ...take the servo out move the wires it works ..put it back together dry fire it.... get back to the line get dog set ....NO BIRD.. obviously iam not connecting this right ..DOES anybody have have the same problem or have a real way of fixing them ...the wires are so small.... i didnt have this problem before i replaced the wires on all three wingers

Pat

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
This won't make you feel better, but I've changed the wires on mine and have no problems.

When you say "move the wires", it sounds like you are wiggling the wires around and then the servo will work. This tells me that you either have a problem with the connection of the wires, or you have a wire shorting to ground. Did you encounter any resistance when feeding the wire through the winger leg? You could have chaffed a wire and the bare wire touching the winger leg could be the problem. I'd disconnect the servo and pull the wire completly out and inspect it. (attach a string or similar to the wire so that you can re-thread without issue).

Not sure how you connected the wires, but I solder the wires together and heat shrink over it.

NOTE: If you have the same problem on more than one winger, you have to look to what is common between them, I can only think of one thing that would fit that criteria.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This won't make you feel better, but I've changed the wires on mine and have no problems.

When you say "move the wires", it sounds like you are wiggling the wires around and then the servo will work. This tells me that you either have a problem with the connection of the wires, or you have a wire shorting to ground. Did you encounter any resistance when feeding the wire through the winger leg? You could have chaffed a wire and the bare wire touching the winger leg could be the problem. I'd disconnet the servo and pull the wire completly out and inspect it. (attach a string or similar to the wire so that you can re-thread without issue).

Not sure how you connected the wires, but I solder the wires together and heat shrink over it.

NOTE: If you have the same problem on more than one winger, you have to look to what is common between them, I can only think of one thing that would fit that criteria.
Ill sure try it

thanks Pat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

When you say "move the wires", it sounds like you are wiggling the wires around and then the servo will work. This tells me that you either have a problem with the connection of the wires, or you have a wire shorting to ground. Did you encounter any resistance when feeding the wire through the winger leg? You could have chaffed a wire and the bare wire touching the winger leg could be the problem. I'd disconnect the servo and pull the wire completly out and inspect it. (attach a string or similar to the wire so that you can re-thread without issue).

You coming to texas soon

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had a servo go bad on a couple of them. It would work sometimes and sometimes not. I've had problems with the conections too and with shorts in the wire. It does get frustrating but it's still better than maintaining the bumper boys. I would like to have a couple of the train rites, I've seen them demo'ed and they kick butt, I've just got so much tied up in the gunners up and bumper boys it's gonna be a long time before I can get something new.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Connect a string to your wire and pull it down to inspect the wire. Make sure you didn't pull a kink tight and break your wire. Check wire for nick or cuts. Next inpect your connection. As mentioned, I prefer to solder and shrink wrap.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
You coming to texas soon
No time soon.

If you used a butt or knife splice where you crimp the connector to the wire, I'd solder next time.

Radio Shack $20 or so will get you a battery operated solder iron. Strip and twist the end of the wire, dip in paste flux, get a bead of solder on the tip of the iron and then touch the wire to the iron and the solder will flow covering the wire (should be shiny). Do this with all 4 wire ends. Slip the heat shrink tubing over the wires (I use a small diameter piece to cover each individual wire and a larger piece that then cover both wires). Twist the wires to hold them together and then touch to the iron. The solder will flow and join the wires (should be shiny not dull). Heat shrink the individual wires then both.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Check the wire with an ohm meter. Check frame to wire reading. Check both wires. If you get a reading between wire and frame you have a short.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Although this sounds pretty frustrating as others have suggested it sounds like something has not been reconnected properly, and could very well be a simple fix. Since I am a dealer you would think that I have plenty of experience taking these wingers apart, but that would be incorrect because I have never had to, nor have I had customers take them apart either. But that is neither here nor there with regard to your situation. Did you buy these wingers new from either Gunners Up directly, or from a Dealer? If so then there may be some form of warranty covering them. What I would like you to do is to call the customer service line at Gunners Up and ask to speak to Jerry, and explain to him what the problems are that you are having. He will do his best to try and get you going in the right direction. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. There is no one associated with Gunners Up, dealers included that want to hear about customers having difficulty. They are without a doubt the best wingers on the market for the money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I recently had the same problem with my Gunners Up winger. I replaced the wiring harness last Summer and it seemed to help but didn't completely fix the problem. It still worked intermittedly and if I manually moved the trigger, thus working the servo, I could get it to work for a session or two. This Spring it started to happen again and I determined it wasn't the wiring. I replaced the servo about 3 weeks ago and it hasn't missed a beat since.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Folks

i emailed Gunners Up last Night... Jerry called me this morning.....We had a great talk... sending him the servos and releases.....TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE...

Thank you for the input

Pat

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Sometimes, the servos get weak, and won't fire. If you put the ring on the end of the pouch all the way to the left, past the red mark, they will still fire, even if they are weak. I have made servos last much longer than normal this way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. The entire time I was reading I was thinking to myself "he needs to call Rich and he'll get it taken care of". Jerry and Richard Davis are great people and will take care of you. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i really agree with the wiring being way to small. its great you had a good experience with gunners up ( jerry ). but you would think they would make stronger wiring and thicker with the springs with more quality. other than wiring and springs the rest of the product is fine in my opinion. wiring is the very big issue that needs fixed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts