RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is starting to become bitter cold in Texas (28 degrees, with highs in the 50s) and I am trying to find a heater for the evenings and nights. What would be the safest type of heater to heat the garage completely. Two car garage with an extension working area on the back side. I have a ceramic heater and two personal heaters, none of which can heat an area much less the garage. The big door isn't insulated, so it can be slightly drafty, thoughts, ideas, concerns, questions?

I saw a kerosene heater or two, but wondering how long the kerosene or even propane would last. I don't think the kerosene would have a turn off if knock over switch, would they heat a garage??

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would think the most cost effective, easiest, and safest way would be a natural gas heater. I just installed an electric heater in my workshop (which is 200 feet from the house) I live in Illinois and it has been a real life saver. I might not think that way, however, when I get the electric bill!!! Check on Northern Tool website. They have a formula for figuring amount of btu's per square foot.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a wall mount gas heater in my garage. It works well and I think I payed around $150.00 for it 2 years ago. Installed it myself. Parts were around $35.00 but that all depends on how far your copper run is to the gas sourse.
Copper is expensive but is the only thing I would use on gas.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I thought people from Texas were tough?

Regards from MI and just kidding.;)

Reactions: ripline

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I'm one tough ARSE SOB.:razz:

I'm in the unheated garage this a.m. The wind created by the saw blade turns my fingers blue.

I stick em in my mouf fer a couple a seconds,, but then the drewl freezes to my nails I just got done. ITS CHIPPIN THE POLISH!:confused:

I wish my Garage was heated....... Glue freeezes!!!:confused:

Gooser

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would not use kerosene or propane to dangerous.
It was 23 degrees in the Atl. area last night with heavy winds.
I have a garage attatched to the house on 1 side.
I use a small elec. room heater and do not have an insulated door.
It was 56 degrees when I went in the garage at 7:00 this morning.
Dogs were happy to go out and get a drink.
IMO you won't need to keep the garage over 60 degrees for the dogs
the dry heat is not good.

My pro has an open air kennel that he covers the sides with tarps
and uses 2 small elec. heaters, temps are never below 40 degrees
even on the coldest nights.

I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on something you will need sparingly
in Texas.
Good Luck,
Gregg

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
It is starting to become bitter cold in Texas (28 degrees, with highs in the 50s) and I am trying to find a heater for the evenings and nights. What would be the safest type of heater to heat the garage completely. Two car garage with an extension working area on the back side. I have a ceramic heater and two personal heaters, none of which can heat an area much less the garage. The big door isn't insulated, so it can be slightly drafty, thoughts, ideas, concerns, questions?

I saw a kerosene heater or two, but wondering how long the kerosene or even propane would last. I don't think the kerosene would have a turn off if knock over switch, would they heat a garage??
Reznoir ceiling mount.

What ever choice you make, be sure you are well vented.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you go with kerosene make sure you light it outside and let it run for a few minutes to burn off the fumes.they smell the worst when first lit. Before you buy take a look at the wall mounted ventless propane heaters. They are reasonable on price and you can run then from a bbq propane tank. Usually get about ten days off a tank plus you its easier to budget compared to waiting on an electric bill and if your garage door is the common type that comes up with remote you can by sheets of 1" Styrofoam real cheap and cut it to fit in the panels

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I found a 23,000 BTU Kerosene at TSC, bad choice? I am not too familiar with Kerosene heaters....
I would not want my dogs or kids around kerosene, to many fumes
soot etc. must have excellent vetillation.
If you don't want elec. go with the propane off the tank.
IMO the elec. is easy no fumes. unplug when not using.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
We had a 28'x40' insulated metal building that we kept comfortable with 2 infra red heaters from Sam's. If it got really cold we added two electric/oil (look like radiators). We also had a wood burning stove that could run you out of there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a wall mount gas heater in my garage. It works well and I think I payed around $150.00 for it 2 years ago. Installed it myself. Parts were around $35.00 but that all depends on how far your copper run is to the gas sourse.
Copper is expensive but is the only thing I would use on gas.
Are you burning propane?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
If you're using natural gasor LP, you can't go wrong with radiant tube heaters. Low maintaince and do a fine job of heating a building as you described. I would think you could do it for around $1500 bucks.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Anything that burns a solid, liquid, or gas (natural gas for example) fuel CAN produce carbon monoxide. To use an unvented appliance, (unless UL Listed to be used unvented in an UNVENTILATED space) in an unvented garage, (some door not left open) can kill you.

A vented natural gas, or, propane unit heater hanging from the ceiling would be my call. Run on a stat and maintain what ever minimum (down to 50) you choose.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
If you go with a ventless heater you will be adding a lot of moisure to the air, if you have tools you could have a rusting issue, just something to think about. The school recess policy here is -10, that means if its -9 outside your 6 year old will be playing outside.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Gooser would be standin at the door bawlin and bangin his head aginst the sidewalk or icewalk.

:razz:

Gooser

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I had to chuckle at your definition of "bitter cold" but everything is relative I suppose.

My friend put a small wood pellet stove in his shop. Very efficient and adjustable. Keeps the shop very comfortable for working out there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just installed a ceiling mounted electric heater. It is heating a 20X20 work shop. So far it easly heats the room to 60 at the low setting. It clean, no fumes, and no moisture to worry about.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts