RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Are you burning propane?
Yes propane. I had a tank already for the fireplace put a T in the line and ran it to the Garage. This is an-inhome type unit I puchased at lowes. It has a fan built in and does a wonderfull job.

·
Registered
449 Posts
20,000 BTU's is what I have in a standard 2 car garage. It also has a temp setting. I live in the Mountains so bitter cold is nothing new to me. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes propane. I had a tank already for the fireplace put a T in the line and ran it to the Garage. This is an-inhome type unit I puchased at lowes. It has a fan built in and does a wonderfull job.
Just asked because in some jurisdictions you cant run (pipe) Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG, Propane) with copper tubing or piping. The gas, and or liquid (if cold enough outside to deliver as a liquid) has a chemical reaction to the copper that causes it to break down and eventually rupture/leak. Just wouldnt want that to happen here. But if your jurisdiction (Authority having Jurisdiction) allows it in your county/state. You are good to go. Just a red flag around here.
Great heat choice though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i ditto not using kerosene, it left me with one very sick dog... the fumes are not good and if i was not home in time she would have died..

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bitter cold at 28??? Natural gas would be the most economical to run after the initial expense of installing the unit. I'd just put a jacket on the kids. Even here in Colorado it is a rare garage that is heated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a 25,000 btu portable kero sun kerosene heater. It heats my 25x 36 very quickly. Even in winter ( -15 Celcius ) I'm in t shirts after 20 min or so. It calls for 9500 mm squared of ventilation. That's about 15 square inches. Minimal smell / fumes other than at light up and shut down. Unit comes on sale for $125 at tsc often. Kerosene runs $19.99-24.99 per 9.5 liters. On high that last 8-10 hours. On low. 50% longer.

Electic heaters broke the bank last winter.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
This is what you need.
Do a search on the web for Ductless Mini Splits.
They're the bomb.
Your 2 car garage w/ work space is probably 500 sq/ft. So a 1 1/2 Ton unit may be appropriate. That's approx 18,000 btu heat, 18,000 btu cool. Assuming you go with heat n cool. These are heat pumps and they dehumidify as well.
You will only need a single zone unit with an Inverter driven compressor. Approx cost for a 1 1/2 ton unit is $1,600.
If you get a unit with a pre-charged line kit it's a total plug and play DIY job. If not you just need a HVAC guy to charge the lines. Need 220 power and a 4" hole blown through an exterior wall. Mount one unit outside and the other high on wall indoors.
These things beat anything out there.
Compare models from Fujitsu, Mitsubichi, Sanyo or LG.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
My garage is insulated, but also not the tightest at the overhead doors. I've never felt the need to supplement heat unless I've moved younger puppies out since it never gets below 50F there anyhow. A radiator heater from Walmart (~$40) is keeping the edge off just fine even w/ lows in the teens. Not sure if this is your situation or not, but that's what I do. I'd never feel safe w/ anything that burns fuel around my dogs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It said it's designed for in home use
Kamo, what more do you need to hear about kerosene and propane?
Is the risk to your dogs and kids worth the money you would save over
electric? We use kerosene heaters in my construction business.
Doesn't matter how much vent you have you will still smell the stuff.

It would take several years to pay for the difference to install a
heating system vs the electric.
JMO

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is what you need.
Do a search on the web for Ductless Mini Splits.
They're the bomb.
Your 2 car garage w/ work space is probably 500 sq/ft. So a 1 1/2 Ton unit may be appropriate. That's approx 18,000 btu heat, 18,000 btu cool. Assuming you go with heat n cool. These are heat pumps and they dehumidify as well.
You will only need a single zone unit with an Inverter driven compressor. Approx cost for a 1 1/2 ton unit is $1,600.
If you get a unit with a pre-charged line kit it's a total plug and play DIY job. If not you just need a HVAC guy to charge the lines. Need 220 power and a 4" hole blown through an exterior wall. Mount one unit outside and the other high on wall indoors.
These things beat anything out there.
Compare models from Fujitsu, Mitsubichi, Sanyo or LG.
Beat me to it!! I'm a HVAC service tech and highly recommend the "mini split" for your situation.I've steered alot of my customers in that direction for garages,sunrooms etc, and haven't had any disappointments. I would also recommend not doing anything your self. Have your HVAC contractor come out and do a load calculation on your garrage to figure up the exact heating and cooling capacity. I'm very familiar with the LG,Mitibishi and Sanyo brands and recommend any of those. The are very efficient. Heat and cool great and i rarely find issues with those brands. As far as safety, your not going to get any safer than the mini splits vs putting gas heaters here and there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was -32 here last week and the garage never got bellow 30 with out heat. By next winter i will have a 80000 btu mr heater max ran off propane. It wont take it much to keep at 60 all winter and its nice for melting snow off vehicles and doing stuff in garage. The dog stayed in the garage during the cold snap with no problem.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts