RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an RTF member since the early 2000s. Just wanted to brag that this past weekend I achieved a milestone for my dog and the Golden Retriever breed. A long-held dream of mine. Of course it came about in an odd fashion. We ran the Treasure Coast RC qualifier this weekend, which was quite a doozy of a test. Out of order flyer with long retired. Land blind into the wind with dry pop. Scrapped water blind series. Giant water triple with retired 300+ yard bird. My dog "Bally" was one of 5 dogs out of an entry of 42 to finish and received 3rd place. While I was ecstatic about his performance (including a standing ovation from the gunners after he got the long water bird! So cool!), I was of course deflated to get 3rd. File it under "so close yet so far."
Monday morning we get a call that there was a snafu with the 2nd place winner and it was determined that that dog had previously received a JAM in an Open stake and was thus ineligible to run Qualifiers. All Monday we were on the phone with club officials, and by the end of the day it was deemed that the award would be returned from that dog and all lower placements moved up. This sort of thing never happens to me!

That means 2nd place and Qualified All Age!!!!!

Bally is my third Master Hunter and first field trial dog. He is also my third show Champion Golden. He is a Best In Specialty winning Grand Champion. He was a MH right after he turned 3, going 5-for-6. Master was too easy. We set our sights higher.
Bally will be 9 years old on Sunday. He previously had a Qual 3rd, 4th (last month) and three JAMs. I KNEW my dog could do the work, and he has shown time and time again this is the level he belongs at. There's far cry between ** and *** though. I was afraid as he aged that something would happen or just our luck would never strike to get that elusive first or second.
To say it has been challenging is an understatement. We have cried many tears, thrown many birds, traveled many miles, met many friends, won many ribbons, sweated, bled, hoped and dreamed and it all has come true.
I have had the unwavering support from many, including people I didn't even know were watching us. I've had a top pro trainer tell me that dogs like mine were bred to do "tricks for treats," not fetch birds. The same trainer scoffed at 8 year old dogs running the Q (as if the journey for every dog and handler is the same!). I've had a big name field trial Labrador breeder watch Bally on water marks and ask how many FC points he had. Somewhere in the middle of these extremes was our day to day, running long blinds, throwing a white pigeon at the long bird, wracking my brain to figure out the best training strategy, and hashing over what happened at trials.

So it happened for us. He is QAA. This makes him the ONE and ONLY GCH-QAA Golden in history. The last Golden CH-QAA was in 2003, the one before that, 1983. And we did it 100% owner trained & handled. Nobody has ever put their hand down over his head or ran him around the show ring, but me.

Next time a thread pops up about show dogs, please link to this post.

https://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=536328

Dog Sky People in nature Dog breed Fawn

Dog Carnivore Street fashion Companion dog Pet supply

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good for you and Bally!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Monday morning we get a call that there was a snafu with the 2nd place winner and it was determined that that dog had previously received a JAM in an Open stake and was thus ineligible to run Qualifiers.
That owner should've read the rulebook.

Congratulations

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Good for you and Bally! Why should anyone care how old the dog is, he is competitive at his level. Congratulations and don’t allow folks to define your goals with your dog. Great picture of you two on the line!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Beautiful dog--beautiful story! Huge Congratulations!!! As the breeder of the dam of the only curly coated retriever GRCH, BISS, QAA in history, I know it is very special when people like you dedicate so much time and resources to getting this done. It is so wonderful when a great dog is in the hands of a great owner. WELL DONE!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. Sarah & Rhino were big inspirations for me!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good for you and Bally! Why should anyone care how old the dog is, he is competitive at his level. Congratulations and don’t allow folks to define your goals with your dog. Great picture of you two on the line!
" . . .don’t allow folks to define your goals with your dog "

Excellent advice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.